British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buen-dia-gcse-o-level-level-what-751581/)

Rosemary Apr 9th 2012 8:44 pm

Re: Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Originally Posted by Soapdish (Post 9996779)
I think what this kid is trying to say is, when he comes this summer, he'll go swimming.

So it should say, "Cuando me voy este verano, voy a nadar"... or "ire a natacion"(I will go swimming)you can't say "ir nadando" which in its literal sense means go swimming but it doesn't include the subject of the matter.

Hope that helps.

JLFS is Spanish.

Rosemary

JLFS Apr 9th 2012 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 9996874)
JLFS is Spanish.

Rosemary

And you, an English Rose................:D

lynnxa May 14th 2012 5:08 am

his exams must be coming up soon - wonder how he'll do :lol:

jimenato May 14th 2012 8:58 am

I hear and say 'Buena Dia' many times a day.

JLFS May 14th 2012 11:33 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10058985)
I hear and say 'Buena Dia' many times a day.

It must be the ColOmbians............:rofl:

Domino May 14th 2012 1:27 pm

surely this is all about a youngster taking a test/exam ??

under such conditions the word(s), the context, the diction, all have to be perfectly correct as per The Master Spanish Dictionary.

to allow any local "quirks" would be wrong and could result in losing marks for slovenly diction - irrespective of how it may be said in the next street.

round here Buena is usually met with Hola, whilst Hola is met by Buena.
but that isnt in the good book, which is why when I ask someone Como Estas? and they tell me what is wrong I have no idea what they are talking about because all i have been taught is to expect Buena et tu?

so - its about the books, the words as taught and the response that they have been taught and nothing else.

remember fiddly bits might lose someone marks

mikelincs May 14th 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10059416)

under such conditions the word(s), the context, the diction, all have to be perfectly correct as per The Master Spanish Dictionary.

to allow any local "quirks" would be wrong and could result in losing marks for slovenly diction - irrespective of how it may be said in the next street.

but that isnt in the good book, which is why when I ask someone Como Estas? and they tell me what is wrong I have no idea what they are talking about because all i have been taught is to expect Buena et tu?

so - its about the books, the words as taught and the response that they have been taught and nothing else.

It's like learning to drive, you learn the 'correct' way to drive so you can pass the test, then once passed, you learn to drive.

JLFS May 14th 2012 1:43 pm

:D God knows

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 10058720)
his exams must be coming up soon - wonder how he'll do :lol:

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 9992044)
I wonder what the Spaniard visiting North Yorkshire would think or answer when greeted with "Nah Then"?

Funny you should mention that, I know an Spanish guy who lived for years somehere in Yorkshire, and if anyone asks him in English where he is originally from he says "Nah -Then Spern

lynnxa May 16th 2012 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 10059416)

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 10059427)
It's like learning to drive, you learn the 'correct' way to drive so you can pass the test, then once passed, you learn to drive.

exactly - if he's doing GCSE Spanish it bears little relation to the way the Spanish actually speak Spanish

I have coached some British kids for GCSE Spanish who were 'street fluent' having been to Spanish school - & they did fine in their Castellano exams in school, too

for GCSE they pretty much had to learn a whole new vocabulary - & they for sure had to learn to speak more clearly - eablao wouldn't have got them very far with an examiner from the UK who was expecting them to say he hablado

buen día wouldn't get them very far, either, though.............

it was actually easier to coach the kids from the International school who had no 'street' Spanish at all!

Domino May 16th 2012 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 10064122)
exactly - if he's doing GCSE Spanish it bears little relation to the way the Spanish actually speak Spanish

I have coached some British kids for GCSE Spanish who were 'street fluent' having been to Spanish school - & they did fine in their Castellano exams in school, too

for GCSE they pretty much had to learn a whole new vocabulary - & they for sure had to learn to speak more clearly - eablao wouldn't have got them very far with an examiner from the UK who was expecting them to say he hablado

it was actually easier to coach the kids from the International school who had no 'street' Spanish at all!

so what is everyone getting so het up about ? ? ?

now what was the question again ?

mikelincs May 16th 2012 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 10064122)

Spanish people have problems with passing the Spanish exams in the UK because they are too good, and know the language fluently, but that just doesn't work to pass the exam.

Chiclanagir May 16th 2012 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 9953269)
As to GCSE, a Spanish friend was commenting how basic the requirements seem to be for GCSE Spanish and I was able to recount how having found some test papers online, I set my then-9yo to have a stab at it without notice, forewarning, etc., and he got about 75%!

Do you still have a link to them? Would like to see how I get on.

fionamw May 16th 2012 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10064660)

Sadly, try as I might I couldn't track down the ones we tried. These:

http://www.revision-guides.com/gcse/spanish.php#papers

seem a bit more 'adult' in their questions, and the link gives more than one examination board.

lynnxa May 16th 2012 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10064660)

yeah - I gave mine some Spanish IGCSE mocks a few years ago when dd1 was 11/12 & dd2 about 8/9 - the written paper

dd1 got something like 98% & dd2 got about 80%!!

you can download past papers (which the schools use for mocks) from most of the exam boards such as Edexel & Cambridge