British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buen-dia-gcse-o-level-level-what-751581/)

lynnxa Apr 3rd 2012 7:31 pm

Re: Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9987507)
Help me out here? should I start with the positive that verano is not spelt with a B?
:D

send him a copy of IR, conjugated, & suggest he tries again ;)

JLFS Apr 3rd 2012 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 9987516)
send him a copy of IR, conjugated, & suggest he tries again ;)

Cant do that, when my wife mentioned the "C" word, he thought it had something to do with "marital rights under the sheets".:blink:

fionamw Apr 3rd 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9987528)
Cant do that, when my wife mentioned the "C" word, he thought it had something to do with "marital rights under the sheets".:blink:

Oh effing dear is all I can say. Mind you that's from someone who did Latin (badly) and French (quite well) and Italian (slightly better than Latin)... :rofl:
Conjugating conjugal... well that's a whole different ballgame;)

Domino Apr 4th 2012 7:08 am

is there a hidden subset with greetings ?

if i say Buenos Dias I get an Hola back
if I say Hola I get a Buena back

:confused:

Rosemary Apr 4th 2012 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9988400)

Many people say adios when you say hola. A beginning and end of a greeting, as though you have had a whole conversation.

Rosemary

lynnxa Apr 4th 2012 7:15 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9987528)

why am I not surprised...............

just tell him he has to 'make it fit the person'

much the same thing really ;)

fionamw Apr 4th 2012 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 9988404)
Many people say adios when you say hola. A beginning and end of a greeting, as though you have had a whole conversation.

Rosemary

Yes I've noticed that.:confused: You meet someone in the car, they're on foot, you say hello and they say goodbye..... but they're not trying to despatch you, it's just what seems to be done:blink:

Lynn::lol:

JLFS Apr 4th 2012 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9988400)

Dont be confused it is just like English.........

If I say good morning they say hello.
if I say hello they say Hi.
If I say HI they say Hiya
If I say hiya they say good morning.....:)

Domino Apr 4th 2012 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9988413)
Dont be confused it is just like English.........

If I say good morning they say hello.
if I say hello they say Hi.
If I say HI they say Hiya
If I say hiya they say good morning.....:)

yes I know what you mean, etiquette etiquette etiquette
just wouldnt want to inadvertantly upset someone :(

'luego

HBG Apr 4th 2012 6:06 pm

I lived in Calpe for a short while because I thought I had fallen in love. We used to use a Spanish restaurant there and the owner made us most welcome.

I thought he was a friend but when I walked in one day and said Buenas Dias, he said Adios. I was shocked, because in the UK when you walk in somewhere and say Hallo and they say Goodbye, they don't want you there.

I tried once more and got the same Adios. My world collapsed, I fell out of love and scuttled back to Benidorm.

Years later I found out about the welcoming Adios. It was too late then, she got married to an Canadian and my Spanish pal had gone skint.

Adios.

Domino Apr 5th 2012 7:59 am

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9989354)
I lived in Calpe for a short while because I thought I had fallen in love. We used to use a Spanish restaurant there and the owner made us most welcome.

I thought he was a friend but when I walked in one day and said Buenas Dias, he said Adios. I was shocked, because in the UK when you walk in somewhere and say Hallo and they say Goodbye, they don't want you there.

I tried once more and got the same Adios. My world collapsed, I fell out of love and scuttled back to Benidorm.

Years later I found out about the welcoming Adios. It was too late then, she got married to an Canadian and my Spanish pal had gone skint.

Adios.

which explains why when I say Buena I get a Dios reply - it is actually a 'dios

I was warned that the locals round here had a "funny way of speaking" - and that was from a Spanish senorita from La Mancha
:eek:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 5th 2012 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9990157)
which explains why when I say Buena I get a Dios reply - it is actually a 'dios

I was warned that the locals round here had a "funny way of speaking" - and that was from a Spanish senorita from La Mancha
:eek:

I often get Vaya con Dios.

Guess they think I'll not be around much longer anyway. :ohmy:

JLFS Apr 5th 2012 9:48 pm

Thinking back to my time in the UK, I had no knowledge of English before I went, and often put my foot in it.

A friends mother reminded me a couple of years ago, that I had really made a big blunder.

My friend and his parents living with the Grandfather, he was not retired at the time, and whenever my friend asked for any money or sweets, the answer was always, "Yes OK, before Titus comes home from work", Titus being the grandfather.

Then one day I met Grandfather, I didnt know what to call him, grandfather was ruled out, so I called him Titus.

My mates mother went bright red, and I was sort of shoved out of the door to shut me up, I had no idea what had happened.

The old grandad was a mean old sod, hated spending money, and they all called him Tightarse, which I heard as Titus.:rofl:

We had a good laugh about it, years later.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 6th 2012 8:13 am

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

bobd22 Apr 6th 2012 11:08 am

I wonder what the Spaniard visiting North Yorkshire would think or answer when greeted with "Nah Then"?