Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:49 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

A friend rang this morning to ask if his son aged 16 or 17 could come and vist us in Spain, to practice Spanish, with the agreement being that we would speak Spanish all the time with him.

He is going to college studying Spanish as one of his subjects, his proud father put him on the phone so he could ask me himself, I said "Hola" to which he replied "buen dia"...

I was just wondering what level he would be doing on a college course.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Originally Posted by JLFS
A friend rang this morning to ask if his son aged 16 or 17 could come and vist us in Spain, to practice Spanish, with the agreement being that we would speak Spanish all the time with him.

He is going to college studying Spanish as one of his subjects, his proud father put him on the phone so he could ask me himself, I said "Hola" to which he replied "buen dia"...

I was just wondering what level he would be doing on a college course.
oh boy...............

GCSE Spanish isn't actually a very high level - you barely have to be able to speak Spanish & because it's aimed at teens it's quite a limited vocab, too

at his age I'd have thought he would have already done the GCSE so be studying a higher level than that - AS or A level - & he should know better than to say 'buen día' - but I've known kids pass with good grades who maybe didn't

how did the rest of the conversation go?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 2:58 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
oh boy...............

GCSE Spanish isn't actually a very high level - you barely have to be able to speak Spanish & because it's aimed at teens it's quite a limited vocab, too

at his age I'd have thought he would have already done the GCSE so be studying a higher level than that - AS or A level - & he should know better than to say 'buen día' - but I've known kids pass with good grades who maybe didn't

how did the rest of the conversation go?
As for the rest,I asked him where his little sister was and what was she doing,(just for something to say in Spanish) and he said "dormir".....oops
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

My newsagent says,'Bon Dia' every time I go in his shop.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
My newsagent says,'Bon Dia' every time I go in his shop.
yeah but........................... as you well know - there's NO WAY he's learning Valenciano in the UK!!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 5:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

As for the rest,I asked him where his little sister was and what was she doing,(just for something to say in Spanish) and he said "dormir".....oops
oops indeed
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, in my albeit a bit ancient recollection of Argentine Spanish no-one said buenos dias or buenas a la Andalu' or bon dia or bomdi a la portuspanglish, rather they all said buendia. Hence when I moved here fulltime that's what I used to say until I realised I was out on my own!!! Now I say buena (and try to cut that short if at all poss)
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

As to GCSE, a Spanish friend was commenting how basic the requirements seem to be for GCSE Spanish and I was able to recount how having found some test papers online, I set my then-9yo to have a stab at it without notice, forewarning, etc., and he got about 75%!
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fionamw
Actually, in my albeit a bit ancient recollection of Argentine Spanish no-one said buenos dias or buenas a la Andalu' or bon dia or bomdi a la portuspanglish, rather they all said buendia. Hence when I moved here fulltime that's what I used to say until I realised I was out on my own!!! Now I say buena (and try to cut that short if at all poss)
As in "Bh"?
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As in "Bh"?
Nah, get it right.... more "bwe'a"
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

That's the trouble with them thinking what to say in English... then trying to convert it to Spanish.
It never works in my experience and is better to try to actually think in Spanish, I even find myself dreaming in Spanish now.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 9:18 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
That's the trouble with them thinking what to say in English... then trying to convert it to Spanish.
It never works in my experience and is better to try to actually think in Spanish, I even find myself dreaming in Spanish now.
that reminds me of when I learnt another language - the Morse Code.
I had nightmares in code, also remember sitting in a train carriage and subconsciously converting an advert into code
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:11 pm
Banned

Cuando me ir en verano, ir nadando.

Any tips on how to correct this without seeming too harsh and deflating the poor kids confidence.
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Cuando me ir en verano, ir nadando.

Any tips on how to correct this without seeming too harsh and deflating the poor kids confidence.
Correct it? It looks fine to me!
Old Apr 3rd 2012, 7:26 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Correct it? It looks fine to me!
Help me out here? should I start with the positive that verano is not spelt with a B?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.