British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/buen-dia-gcse-o-level-level-what-751581/)

JLFS Mar 14th 2012 1:49 pm

Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

A friend rang this morning to ask if his son aged 16 or 17 could come and vist us in Spain, to practice Spanish, with the agreement being that we would speak Spanish all the time with him.

He is going to college studying Spanish as one of his subjects, his proud father put him on the phone so he could ask me himself, I said "Hola" to which he replied "buen dia"...:D

I was just wondering what level he would be doing on a college course.:confused:

lynnxa Mar 14th 2012 2:02 pm

Re: Is "Buen Dia" GCSE,O level, A level or what?

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9952677)
A friend rang this morning to ask if his son aged 16 or 17 could come and vist us in Spain, to practice Spanish, with the agreement being that we would speak Spanish all the time with him.

He is going to college studying Spanish as one of his subjects, his proud father put him on the phone so he could ask me himself, I said "Hola" to which he replied "buen dia"...:D

I was just wondering what level he would be doing on a college course.:confused:

oh boy...............

GCSE Spanish isn't actually a very high level - you barely have to be able to speak Spanish & because it's aimed at teens it's quite a limited vocab, too

at his age I'd have thought he would have already done the GCSE so be studying a higher level than that - AS or A level - & he should know better than to say 'buen día' - but I've known kids pass with good grades who maybe didn't :(

how did the rest of the conversation go?

JLFS Mar 14th 2012 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 9952696)
oh boy...............

GCSE Spanish isn't actually a very high level - you barely have to be able to speak Spanish & because it's aimed at teens it's quite a limited vocab, too

at his age I'd have thought he would have already done the GCSE so be studying a higher level than that - AS or A level - & he should know better than to say 'buen día' - but I've known kids pass with good grades who maybe didn't :(

how did the rest of the conversation go?

As for the rest,I asked him where his little sister was and what was she doing,(just for something to say in Spanish) and he said "dormir".....oops

HBG Mar 14th 2012 4:57 pm

My newsagent says,'Bon Dia' every time I go in his shop.

lynnxa Mar 14th 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by HBG (Post 9953122)
My newsagent says,'Bon Dia' every time I go in his shop.

yeah but........................... as you well know - there's NO WAY he's learning Valenciano in the UK!!

lynnxa Mar 14th 2012 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9952834)
As for the rest,I asked him where his little sister was and what was she doing,(just for something to say in Spanish) and he said "dormir".....oops

oops indeed :blink:

fionamw Mar 14th 2012 6:35 pm

Actually, in my albeit a bit ancient recollection of Argentine Spanish no-one said buenos dias or buenas a la Andalu' or bon dia or bomdi a la portuspanglish, rather they all said buendia. Hence when I moved here fulltime that's what I used to say until I realised I was out on my own!!! Now I say buena (and try to cut that short if at all poss:lol:)

fionamw Mar 14th 2012 6:38 pm

As to GCSE, a Spanish friend was commenting how basic the requirements seem to be for GCSE Spanish and I was able to recount how having found some test papers online, I set my then-9yo to have a stab at it without notice, forewarning, etc., and he got about 75%!

JLFS Mar 14th 2012 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 9953265)
Actually, in my albeit a bit ancient recollection of Argentine Spanish no-one said buenos dias or buenas a la Andalu' or bon dia or bomdi a la portuspanglish, rather they all said buendia. Hence when I moved here fulltime that's what I used to say until I realised I was out on my own!!! Now I say buena (and try to cut that short if at all poss:lol:)

As in "Bh"? :rofl:

fionamw Mar 14th 2012 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9953278)
As in "Bh"? :rofl:

Nah, get it right.... more "bwe'a" :p

megmet Mar 14th 2012 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9952677)

That's the trouble with them thinking what to say in English... then trying to convert it to Spanish.
It never works in my experience and is better to try to actually think in Spanish, I even find myself dreaming in Spanish now. :rofl:

Domino Mar 15th 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by megmet (Post 9953294)
That's the trouble with them thinking what to say in English... then trying to convert it to Spanish.
It never works in my experience and is better to try to actually think in Spanish, I even find myself dreaming in Spanish now. :rofl:

that reminds me of when I learnt another language - the Morse Code.
I had nightmares in code, also remember sitting in a train carriage and subconsciously converting an advert into code
:eek:

JLFS Apr 3rd 2012 7:11 pm

Cuando me ir en verano, ir nadando.

Any tips on how to correct this without seeming too harsh and deflating the poor kids confidence.

agoreira Apr 3rd 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9987474)
Cuando me ir en verano, ir nadando.

Any tips on how to correct this without seeming too harsh and deflating the poor kids confidence.

Correct it? It looks fine to me!;)

JLFS Apr 3rd 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9987484)
Correct it? It looks fine to me!;)

Help me out here? should I start with the positive that verano is not spelt with a B?
:D