Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Broadband Lecrin Valley

Broadband Lecrin Valley

Old Aug 6th 2010, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Broadband Lecrin Valley

ANyone know if there is decent broadband access in Lecrin Valley (wired) - I need it for my work.
We're going over in October to check out whether we prefer Granada or somewhere more quiet but I need broadband to work while living in Spain. Wireless won't really do for what I need it for.

It seems the places are nicer and bigger in Lecrin Valley though might be a bit quiet. Would Monachil, La Vega etc be better for access?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Broadband Lecrin Valley

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
ANyone know if there is decent broadband access in Lecrin Valley (wired) - I need it for my work.
We're going over in October to check out whether we prefer Granada or somewhere more quiet but I need broadband to work while living in Spain. Wireless won't really do for what I need it for.

It seems the places are nicer and bigger in Lecrin Valley though might be a bit quiet. Would Monachil, La Vega etc be better for access?
Hi,

I doubt you will find an ADSL Providor in the Lecrin Valley.
I'm pretty sure Telefonica might be a non starter.
I provide Wireless Internet on the Costa del Sol but cannot proivide coverage in your area.
If you need any help let me know.

Regards

Neil

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Aug 6th 2010 at 9:32 am. Reason: URL removed
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Monachil, La Vega would be okay wouldn;t they?
CLose enough to Granada?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Monachil, La Vega would be okay wouldn;t they?
CLose enough to Granada?
It's hard to tell.

I live 200m from the sea, and 2km from Fuengirola and Telefonica cannot provide me with ADSL.
It depends on the state of the lines. They all need replacing but this could take years or will probably never happen knowing Telefonica.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil29649
It's hard to tell.

I live 200m from the sea, and 2km from Fuengirola and Telefonica cannot provide me with ADSL.
It depends on the state of the lines. They all need replacing but this could take years or will probably never happen knowing Telefonica.
exactly - even in a 'developed' area, one side of the road can get ADSL & the other can't

& you don't always know until the Telefonica guy turns up & shakes his head in despair
Old Aug 6th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnxa
exactly - even in a 'developed' area, one side of the road can get ADSL & the other can't

& you don't always know until the Telefonica guy turns up & shakes his head in despair
So, if I need this for work, I guess I'll have ti pick wireless as a backup?
Wireless probbaly has similar reception issues?

Speaking of which, if I'm looking for a place can I get a wireless dongle just to test for a few days while looking for a flat/house? Know any companies that do reasonably chea wirless?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

So, if I need this for work, I guess I'll have ti pick wireless as a backup?
Wireless probbaly has similar reception issues?

Speaking of which, if I'm looking for a place can I get a wireless dongle just to test for a few days while looking for a flat/house? Know any companies that do reasonably chea wirless?
Wireless Internet works by picking up the signal from the providors antenna.
You need line of sight from your property to your suppliers antenna to get the signal so you wouldn't know until you were at the property.
I install Wireless Internet on the Costa del Sol, and inland Costa del Sol, and can get clients a reliable strong connection.
I'm not sure who you can use in your area but I'd ask people first.
Like everything in Spain there are good companies and not so good companies who promise you everything but deliver nothing.

Regards

Neil
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

So, what's best to do on arriving then and looking for places to rent?
I could ask the agent whether ADSL is available but they may not even know themselves and don't want tot get into a situation where they say yes and then we move in and the Telefonica guy says it isn't possible.

Wireless broadband won;t be enough I don;t think for what I need, intermittent connections and most limit the bandwidth available in one month.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Will you be visiting before choosing somewhere to rent or letting the agent find you somewhere?
If your visiting ask the neighbours to see if they have ADSL.

Regards

Neil
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neil29649
Will you be visiting before choosing somewhere to rent or letting the agent find you somewhere?
If your visiting ask the neighbours to see if they have ADSL.

Regards

Neil
Visiting before choosing but only speak rough Spanish at the moment - hopefully the agent should help but you never know...