British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Broadband & Calls in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/broadband-calls-spain-391126/)

chris100 Aug 17th 2006 2:19 pm

Broadband & Calls in Spain?

I have just come accross a company called Midas Telecom in Spain offering broadband + telephone calls at just 25€ (VOIP) and 34€ (Normal phone).

What do you think? Has anybody heard of these guys?

I am looking for a broadband provider, anybody know of a good one in Spain?

Chris

Amarilla Aug 17th 2006 3:35 pm

Re: Broadband & Calls in Spain?

Originally Posted by chris100
I am looking for a broadband provider, anybody know of a good one in Spain? Chris

Use Telefonica.

They own the line and will sort out any connection problems. If you use someone else and have a problem they will just blame each other for ever.

Mitzyboy Aug 17th 2006 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Amarilla
Use Telefonica.

They own the line and will sort out any connection problems. If you use someone else and have a problem they will just blame each other for ever.

Yes I think Telefonica, but heres a comparison of them all

http://www.adslzone.net/comparativa.html

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 17th 2006 11:19 pm

That is if you can get a telephone number.

I am trying to get our phone reconnected in our apartment in Los Altos near Torrevieja, but Telefonica say they have no new numbers !!!!!!!

We had the number disconnected when we rented it out, the girl trashed the apartment, so we said we would never rent again.

Due to circumstances we are going to live back there, all we need is a phone number.

Telefonica don't need us, as they are one of the richest phone company's in the world, trouble is, we need them & they know it.

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 9:10 am

We are currently having problems with our service provider (arrakis), nothing dramatic, but they have investigated and discovered yesterday that it is the line (telefonica) it has been arranged by them, for a telefonica engineer to be here this morning.
Telefonica themselves called us yesterday to arrange time etc.

On similar note about Telefonica, I called them for a friend who recently moved in over here and asked for a telephone to be installed and they came the next day.

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 12:43 pm

PYMM, maybe where you are there are not so many people, here on the Orihuela Costa there is so much building going on & everybody wants a phone. Telefonica's infrastructure is total confusion.

But all I need a new number, surely Telefonica can release some, or is that far too difficult for them?

Any ideas how to get Telefonica to release some.

Wendy x

Amarilla Aug 18th 2006 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth
PYMM, maybe where you are there are not so many people, here on the Orihuela Costa there is so much building going on & everybody wants a phone. Telefonica's infrastructure is total confusion.

But all I need a new number, surely Telefonica can release some, or is that far too difficult for them?

Wendy x

It's not as simple as that.

In any local area the telephone exchange only has a specific number of lines available. Remember that they are all cables going into a box somewhere. You cannot just "release" a number - you can only wait until someone cancels their line or they build a bigger telephone exchange.

In areas with a lot of new builds there is just not enough capacity.

mikelincs Aug 18th 2006 4:37 pm

Wendy x

WE had a similar problem, we moved into the house, there was a telephone in and we had asked the property company to get us connected. We tried the phone, and it was working, so we used it, even got dial up internet.. About 4 weeks later it stopped working, and then they came and 'connected' us, completely new number and we never did get a bill for what we had used in those 4 weeks. We had gone to ask about ADSL, and that was when they found out we had a live line but that the number wasn't allocated. Perhaps we should have kept quiet. :D

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 5:52 pm

Telefonica came out this morning as promised and all is fixed

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 10:15 pm

pwwn, count yourself very lucky.

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 10:21 pm

This was the third call out and always here at the time stated, so I think maybe here luck was not an issue. Not that I am gloating you understand.

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 11:21 pm

pwwm,

I know you are not gloating, but I think it depends on the area you live, after all Spain is a very big country.

As our apartment is in Los Altos, Orihuela Costa near Torrevieja there are a lot a new builds.

I also know that the exchange in Punta Prima was been updated & should have been finished on the 15th of July, but as this is Spain it wan't.

Do you or anybody know anything about the Satalite phone / internet systems that are in this area?

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 11:41 pm

Hi Wendy

The radio phones around us and we are a long way from you, (on the coast in Granada region) are not that good with the internet, also I believe that if you get a radio phone telefonica will not then change you to a landline at a later date, friends here have fallen foul of that one.
But somewhere I have read that the Spanish government have insisted that anybody that wants a phone shall have one, but you could end up with radio phone.

I am not so sure re satellite phones, but I think they are very expensive.
Hopefully you will get sorted soon, might be good to "pester" them every few days politely and they may install a phone to get rid of you. I know what it is like because when we first arrived we kept using our mobiles, very expensive then we found that by calling the 1004 you can speak to an English speaking operator Duh.

Let us know how you get on.
All the best

pwwm

mikelincs Aug 19th 2006 2:45 pm

pwwm,

I know you are not gloating, but I think it depends on the area you live, after all Spain is a very big country.

As our apartment is in Los Altos, Orihuela Costa near Torrevieja there are a lot a new builds.

I also know that the exchange in Punta Prima was been updated & should have been finished on the 15th of July, but as this is Spain it wan't.

Do you or anybody know anything about the Satalite phone / internet systems that are in this area?

Wendy x

We looked at satellite broadband when it seemed we would have a problem with land line BB connection, but were told it was expensive to start up, and wasn't always reliable. We are not that far from you, and there is a lot of information in the local free papers (English) as well as Costa Blanca News each week, they all have computer sections. Plenty will offer satellite systems but I'm not in any position to recommend as we have a land line system.

scooterman Aug 19th 2006 4:38 pm

Hi all,
We had much the same problem with the allocation of numbers from Telefonica and are still fighting to get the admin charge refunded as they decided at the last minute there were no numbers available.
After a search through satellite companies I found one that use British engineers and provide a good quality service at a sensible price.
I know at the moment their service extends as far as Guardamar but they are pushing out further all the time.
I will forward their details by pm if anyone is interested (so I´m not advertising them).
The only connection I have with this company is being happy with the service.

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 19th 2006 4:45 pm

[QUOTE=scooterman]Hi all,

I will forward their details by pm if anyone is interested (so I´m not advertising them).

Hello scooterman, how do I pm you.

Wendy x

scooterman Aug 19th 2006 4:54 pm

Hi Wendy,
Doesn´t look as if we can pm, sorry.
You can contact me at: [email protected]

Lionda Aug 19th 2006 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by scooterman
Hi Wendy,
Doesn´t look as if we can pm, sorry.
You can contact me at: [email protected]

If you click on a persons name you should get a drop down box with a list..send a personal message is on there, click on that.

Lin

susique Aug 29th 2006 7:15 pm

Hi all,
We had much the same problem with the allocation of numbers from Telefonica and are still fighting to get the admin charge refunded as they decided at the last minute there were no numbers available.
After a search through satellite companies I found one that use British engineers and provide a good quality service at a sensible price.
I know at the moment their service extends as far as Guardamar but they are pushing out further all the time.

Im not afraid of mentioning names - Telefonica has had free advertising so is the company you use Interlink?

Solarwhizz Aug 29th 2006 7:24 pm

Hi all,

]
Satellite up/down link will cost you 2000€ to install and approx 65€ per month, Which is expensive, However it is a very reliable and fast service,

(NB dont be conned by the Sat downlink/ Phone UPlink, the speeds and reliability is atrocious, and one of the things they dont tell you is that apart from the monthly rental you are also running up a big phone bill for the uplink)

Depending on where you are there are now numberous Micro link providers, who offer a good service for a reasonable cost, 200€ to install and 30€ inc IVA, ( which is what I now have,) its fast reliable and with www.voipstunt.com it pays for itself as all my calls to OZ , Dubai, UK and local/national Spain are free!!!!

So if you use the Tel a lot for calls particularly international, the Sat becomes a good buy!! I can let you have some numbers for suppliers on the CB

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 29th 2006 11:30 pm

Depending on where you are there are now numberous Micro link providers, who offer a good service for a reasonable cost, 200€ to install and 30€ inc IVA, ( which is what I now have,) its fast reliable and with www.voipstunt.com it pays for itself as all my calls to OZ , Dubai, UK and local/national Spain are free!!!!

So if you use the Tel a lot for calls particularly international, the Sat becomes a good buy!! I can let you have some numbers for suppliers on the CB[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I most certainly like a phone number for a supplier in the Torrevieja / Los Altos area.

Thank you,

Wendy

lynnxa Aug 31st 2006 12:34 pm

That is if you can get a telephone number.

I am trying to get our phone reconnected in our apartment in Los Altos near Torrevieja, but Telefonica say they have no new numbers !!!!!!!

We had the number disconnected when we rented it out, the girl trashed the apartment, so we said we would never rent again.

Due to circumstances we are going to live back there, all we need is a phone number.

Telefonica don't need us, as they are one of the richest phone company's in the world, trouble is, we need them & they know it.

Wendy x

we actually moved less than a kilometre down the road & got a phone installed within a week :cool: , after a year of trying at our old address
:confused:

luckily we were renting :)

Solarwhizz Aug 31st 2006 3:07 pm

Hello,

I most certainly like a phone number for a supplier in the Torrevieja / Los Altos area.

Thank you,

Wendy[/QUOTE]

Sat Up/down or Micro link?/

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 31st 2006 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Hello,

Thank you,

Wendy

Sat Up/down or Micro link?/[/QUOTE]

Hello Solarwhizz, is that a website, I am not at all computer literate, please can you explain.

Thank-you,

Wendy

Solarwhizz Aug 31st 2006 6:36 pm

Sat Up/down or Micro link?/

Hello Solarwhizz, is that a website, I am not at all computer literate, please can you explain.

Thank-you,

Wendy[/QUOTE]
Sorry my fault,, do you want info on the Micro Wave system, or the Sat system>>?

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 31st 2006 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz

Thank-you,

Wendy

Sorry my fault,, do you want info on the Micro Wave system, or the Sat system>>?[/QUOTE]

Thank you solarwhizz,

Which is the cheapest, I am a pensionista on a very small pension.

Wendy

EsuriJohn Aug 31st 2006 6:51 pm

Hi Wendy,

Have a look at this website it does kind of explain. What happens is your broadband signal is carried between long distances by the satellite signal but the last link in the chain to you is from the satellite ground station via a line of sight microwave signal to your house. There are no cables involved outside your house only the down cable from the microwave receiver to you computer. This type costs about £30 a month.

If you can't get line of sight and you have to have a satellite ground station on your land it is much more expensive for the equipment and the running costs.

http://www.riosat.com/1.html

This is only one among many.

Regards, ;)

John.

Thank-you,
Wendy

Wendy Nesbeth Sep 1st 2006 10:48 am

[QUOTE=John & Kath]Hi Wendy,

Hi John & Kath,

Riosat only covers Andulcia, & not the Alicante region.

Anymore suggestions?

This is getting so frustration, why can't Telefonica get their act together, I have known quite a few people who go back to the UK because of the worst phone company in the world.

Thank you for that information anyway.

Regards,

Wendy

BigD Sep 1st 2006 1:25 pm

[QUOTE=chris100]I have just come accross a company called Midas Telecom in Spain offering broadband + telephone calls at just 25€ (VOIP) and 34€ (Normal phone).

What do you think? Has anybody heard of these guys?

I am looking for a broadband provider, anybody know of a good one in Spain?

Chris[/QUOTE
I was with Tiscali Broadband for two years in Javea Spain, and all of a sudden they just pulled the plug leaving me with no supplier.
Why ! I still don't know because certain parts of Spain, I hear are still being supplied by Tiscali. Had a load of problems with Wanadoo, my advice would be to give this particular company a wide berth.
After a lot of Research into various other options I decided the safest bet would be to use Spanish Telefonica, if you don't speak Spanish they will get someone that can help you with setting up.
They quoted me 39 euros per month 24/7 for Broadband but I eventually got it for 29 euros.
This has to be set-up by yourself, but I got an expert to do it all for me, and set up an account with Telefonica enabling me to have a new e-mail address,
this process is not easy if you don't speak Spanish.
This cost 40 euros, worth ever penny.
Never heard of the company you asked about.
Hope this is of some help.
Good Luck :beer:

Wendy Nesbeth Sep 1st 2006 1:58 pm

Hello Gutyfeet,

Telefonica are okay if you can get a phone line or new number, I have a line but can't get a phone number, The worst phone company in the world, the big T tell me there are no free numbers !!!!!!!!!!

Why I ask myself.

Wendy

Beachcomber Sep 1st 2006 3:20 pm

Telefónica are now offering free calls to mobiles as well as national landlines when you sign up for ADSL Duo at €39,90 per month. I think this is only initially for six months. Presumably they want to see how much it is going to cost them before making it permanent.

Wendy Nesbeth Sep 1st 2006 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Telefónica are now offering free calls to mobiles as well as national landlines when you sign up for ADSL Duo at €39,90 per month. I think this is only initially for six months. Presumably they want to see how much it is going to cost them before making it permanent.

Will they give you a phone number? so you can get ADSL !!!!!!

Wendy x

Beachcomber Sep 1st 2006 3:48 pm

If you are unable to get a telephone number it is probably because there is no available capacity in the local exchange. This situation is likely to prevail unless or until they upgrade it.

Wendy Nesbeth Sep 1st 2006 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
If you are unable to get a telephone number it is probably because there is no available capacity in the local exchange. This situation is likely to prevail unless or until they upgrade it.

Thank you Beachcomber,

Shall I put it on a message board in this area & ask if someone is getting their number disconnected could I buy their number from them.

Wendy

Beachcomber Sep 1st 2006 5:13 pm

You could try but here in Málaga, at least, there is a thriving black market in reallocated numbers usually involving greedy Telefónica installers.

Your other alternative is to contract with one of the wireless internet companies if there are any operating in your area. With these companies you can also pay extra for a telephone number or just use Skype for your calls.

Andrew_2706 Sep 10th 2006 12:27 pm

I see you are in Albunol, we have just bought a house at Balcones de Albunol but we are scared to death we might not get ADSL as my partner and I need to work when we are there. Telefonica wouldnt say whether we would get ADSL until they install a line and test it, where abouts in Albunol are you?

Thanks,
Andrew

Originally Posted by pwwm
We are currently having problems with our service provider (arrakis), nothing dramatic, but they have investigated and discovered yesterday that it is the line (telefonica) it has been arranged by them, for a telefonica engineer to be here this morning.
Telefonica themselves called us yesterday to arrange time etc.

On similar note about Telefonica, I called them for a friend who recently moved in over here and asked for a telephone to be installed and they came the next day.

pwwm

pwwm Sep 10th 2006 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew_2706
I see you are in Albunol, we have just bought a house at Balcones de Albunol but we are scared to death we might not get ADSL as my partner and I need to work when we are there. Telefonica wouldnt say whether we would get ADSL until they install a line and test it, where abouts in Albunol are you?

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi Andrew

We are up near the Cementario only a five minute walk from the Balcone, as you have seen we have ASDL and our problems have been sorted, I think all of Albuñol is now on ASDL.

You will have to contact me when you come over, I can put you in touch with some other buyers from the Balcone.

Are you moving permanently? pm me with an email and I can let you have access to my Albuñol photo page.

pwwm