British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Broadband & Calls in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/broadband-calls-spain-391126/)

chris100 Aug 17th 2006 2:19 pm

Broadband & Calls in Spain?

I have just come accross a company called Midas Telecom in Spain offering broadband + telephone calls at just 25€ (VOIP) and 34€ (Normal phone).

What do you think? Has anybody heard of these guys?

I am looking for a broadband provider, anybody know of a good one in Spain?

Chris

Amarilla Aug 17th 2006 3:35 pm

Re: Broadband & Calls in Spain?

Originally Posted by chris100
I am looking for a broadband provider, anybody know of a good one in Spain? Chris

Use Telefonica.

They own the line and will sort out any connection problems. If you use someone else and have a problem they will just blame each other for ever.

Mitzyboy Aug 17th 2006 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Amarilla
Use Telefonica.

They own the line and will sort out any connection problems. If you use someone else and have a problem they will just blame each other for ever.

Yes I think Telefonica, but heres a comparison of them all

http://www.adslzone.net/comparativa.html

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 17th 2006 11:19 pm

That is if you can get a telephone number.

I am trying to get our phone reconnected in our apartment in Los Altos near Torrevieja, but Telefonica say they have no new numbers !!!!!!!

We had the number disconnected when we rented it out, the girl trashed the apartment, so we said we would never rent again.

Due to circumstances we are going to live back there, all we need is a phone number.

Telefonica don't need us, as they are one of the richest phone company's in the world, trouble is, we need them & they know it.

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 9:10 am

We are currently having problems with our service provider (arrakis), nothing dramatic, but they have investigated and discovered yesterday that it is the line (telefonica) it has been arranged by them, for a telefonica engineer to be here this morning.
Telefonica themselves called us yesterday to arrange time etc.

On similar note about Telefonica, I called them for a friend who recently moved in over here and asked for a telephone to be installed and they came the next day.

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 12:43 pm

PYMM, maybe where you are there are not so many people, here on the Orihuela Costa there is so much building going on & everybody wants a phone. Telefonica's infrastructure is total confusion.

But all I need a new number, surely Telefonica can release some, or is that far too difficult for them?

Any ideas how to get Telefonica to release some.

Wendy x

Amarilla Aug 18th 2006 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth
PYMM, maybe where you are there are not so many people, here on the Orihuela Costa there is so much building going on & everybody wants a phone. Telefonica's infrastructure is total confusion.

But all I need a new number, surely Telefonica can release some, or is that far too difficult for them?

Wendy x

It's not as simple as that.

In any local area the telephone exchange only has a specific number of lines available. Remember that they are all cables going into a box somewhere. You cannot just "release" a number - you can only wait until someone cancels their line or they build a bigger telephone exchange.

In areas with a lot of new builds there is just not enough capacity.

mikelincs Aug 18th 2006 4:37 pm

Wendy x

WE had a similar problem, we moved into the house, there was a telephone in and we had asked the property company to get us connected. We tried the phone, and it was working, so we used it, even got dial up internet.. About 4 weeks later it stopped working, and then they came and 'connected' us, completely new number and we never did get a bill for what we had used in those 4 weeks. We had gone to ask about ADSL, and that was when they found out we had a live line but that the number wasn't allocated. Perhaps we should have kept quiet. :D

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 5:52 pm

Telefonica came out this morning as promised and all is fixed

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 10:15 pm

pwwn, count yourself very lucky.

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 10:21 pm

This was the third call out and always here at the time stated, so I think maybe here luck was not an issue. Not that I am gloating you understand.

pwwm

Wendy Nesbeth Aug 18th 2006 11:21 pm

pwwm,

I know you are not gloating, but I think it depends on the area you live, after all Spain is a very big country.

As our apartment is in Los Altos, Orihuela Costa near Torrevieja there are a lot a new builds.

I also know that the exchange in Punta Prima was been updated & should have been finished on the 15th of July, but as this is Spain it wan't.

Do you or anybody know anything about the Satalite phone / internet systems that are in this area?

Wendy x

pwwm Aug 18th 2006 11:41 pm

Hi Wendy

The radio phones around us and we are a long way from you, (on the coast in Granada region) are not that good with the internet, also I believe that if you get a radio phone telefonica will not then change you to a landline at a later date, friends here have fallen foul of that one.
But somewhere I have read that the Spanish government have insisted that anybody that wants a phone shall have one, but you could end up with radio phone.

I am not so sure re satellite phones, but I think they are very expensive.
Hopefully you will get sorted soon, might be good to "pester" them every few days politely and they may install a phone to get rid of you. I know what it is like because when we first arrived we kept using our mobiles, very expensive then we found that by calling the 1004 you can speak to an English speaking operator Duh.

Let us know how you get on.
All the best

pwwm

mikelincs Aug 19th 2006 2:45 pm

pwwm,

I know you are not gloating, but I think it depends on the area you live, after all Spain is a very big country.

As our apartment is in Los Altos, Orihuela Costa near Torrevieja there are a lot a new builds.

I also know that the exchange in Punta Prima was been updated & should have been finished on the 15th of July, but as this is Spain it wan't.

Do you or anybody know anything about the Satalite phone / internet systems that are in this area?

Wendy x

We looked at satellite broadband when it seemed we would have a problem with land line BB connection, but were told it was expensive to start up, and wasn't always reliable. We are not that far from you, and there is a lot of information in the local free papers (English) as well as Costa Blanca News each week, they all have computer sections. Plenty will offer satellite systems but I'm not in any position to recommend as we have a land line system.

scooterman Aug 19th 2006 4:38 pm

Hi all,
We had much the same problem with the allocation of numbers from Telefonica and are still fighting to get the admin charge refunded as they decided at the last minute there were no numbers available.
After a search through satellite companies I found one that use British engineers and provide a good quality service at a sensible price.
I know at the moment their service extends as far as Guardamar but they are pushing out further all the time.
I will forward their details by pm if anyone is interested (so I´m not advertising them).
The only connection I have with this company is being happy with the service.