Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brits quitting Spain in their THOUSANDS over Brexit fears and exchange rates

Brits quitting Spain in their THOUSANDS over Brexit fears and exchange rates

Old Aug 30th 2018, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough
Default Brits quitting Spain in their THOUSANDS over Brexit fears and exchange rates

Not a great deal of detail to this article but I imagine the poor exchange rate is making life difficult for some UK migrants to the EU if their budgets are tight. People currently living in the UK who are planning to move are also split between those not wanting to 'miss the boat' and those who want to wait and see what Brexit brings. My own view is that there will be some variation between countries but that there is a long way to go in terms of the negotiations. For people wishing to move large amounts of capital of course the exchange rate is a problem which also impacts on other UK based income sources.

I'd take this article with a LARGE pinch of salt and have posted for other people to comment.

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2018/...xchange-rates/
Old Aug 30th 2018, 11:33 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits quitting Spain in their THOUSANDS over Brexit fears and exchange rates

Hola

As I said after the "crisis" of 2008 - "There is a latent build up of people who want to return but want to get more money from their houses than they will currently get"

Now with the exchange rate around 1-10€ to the pound, you get more pounds for your euros so a lot of people have decided now is the time to quit their losses of the crash and return.

Davexf
Old Aug 30th 2018, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits quitting Spain in their THOUSANDS over Brexit fears and exchange rates

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

As I said after the "crisis" of 2008 - "There is a latent build up of people who want to return but want to get more money from their houses than they will currently get"

Now with the exchange rate around 1-10€ to the pound, you get more pounds for your euros so a lot of people have decided now is the time to quit their losses of the crash and return.

Davexf
I would agree plus some properties are now starting to actually sell and likes of place in the sun indicating levels of discounts and bargains to be had again. Currency is major player especually for those that were managing but not well off at exchange rate of 1.30+ region, at under 1.10 as now that's quite a loss. No one wants a worse lifestyle. Many reasons for this headline Brexit no doubt being one for some people.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Brexit is also a bit of a 'wake up call ' for those who have been living under the radar here for some time. Having a foot in each camp is fast becoming a bit of an issue for some. Decision time is here in some cases!

In my region, which is not strictly a touristy location, there are the hard-core Brits who are staying.This is
after all , a reasonably cheap area to live, and certainly cheaper than the UK. But there are definitely those British who are attempting to sell up and move back to the UK. Good luck with that in the timescale, and as non resident's the extra taxes on the sale or any profit may leave a bitter taste. It's a bit sad to see really, but failing to plan has it's effects.

ONE thing is evident, there is a vast increase in Europeans looking to settle here, more and more French , Dutch and Belgian cars are evident in the area.

I believe that if the storm can be weathered out here, things will work out but I take the point regarding the exchange rate etc. I always said that you have to be able to manage if it went one to one as a basic guide, who knows what may happen to that thought in the future.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe some are going back (IMO - to what?) but this forum seems full of those that are coming. I certainly agree with the comment about more French being here both living and on holiday, loads more French cars around the Alicante area.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spainrico
Well maybe some are going back (IMO - to what?)
There are some really nice areas in the UK and some people have a great quality of life there. For some people the climate also suits them, my cousin lives in a fantastic village just outside Wells in Somerset and while he likes to visit Spain for a permanent home he is happy where he is.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
There are some really nice areas in the UK and some people have a great quality of life there. For some people the climate also suits them, my cousin lives in a fantastic village just outside Wells in Somerset and while he likes to visit Spain for a permanent home he is happy where he is.
Yes, Spain is not for everyone. Many prefer England's green and pleasant countryside. Complaining about UK weather, seems like a national sport. Sounds like your cousin has the balance which suits him.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I agree that the UK has some fantastic locations - green and pleasant land. I was thinking more of a government in disarray, drastic cuts to vital public services including health, schools, police etc. Poor over-priced transport infrastructure, overcrowding, pollution, to name but a few of the issues facing the UK. I have not even mentioned Brexit.

Also after nearly twenty years here I just would no longer want to live in the UK as I feel no connection.

Yes, the heat and some other issues can drive me mad here but I still think we get a better quality of life than many Brits in the UK. But I respect anybody who feels a relocation back to the UK is best for them and wish them well.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

This is typical of what different interpretations can do to data .. More"serious" press used the same data to show that local authorities were cleaning up their "Padron" and have simply eliminated many names that have not been renewed over the last few years, no mad sudden exit, just tidying-up. Similarly with the reports of "collapse" in tourists , the 82 Million that came in 2017 has reduced by 2.2% and the biggest reduction was in German tourists, down 5,1% and even though there were fewer Brits , down 2,0% the Brits actually spent more. hardly a disaster just a warning about the competition from countries such as Turkey.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This is typical of what different interpretations can do to data .. More"serious" press used the same data to show that local authorities were cleaning up their "Padron" and have simply eliminated many names that have not been renewed over the last few years, no mad sudden exit, just tidying-up. Similarly with the reports of "collapse" in tourists , the 82 Million that came in 2017 has reduced by 2.2% and the biggest reduction was in German tourists, down 5,1% and even though there were fewer Brits , down 2,0% the Brits actually spent more. hardly a disaster just a warning about the competition from countries such as Turkey.
That is why I ended my last comment with ", there are many reasons for this headline". However I don't think we should discount from that the current poor exchange rate which affects both UK tourists and those that live in Spain. Also brexit certainly as Lurchio says those that have been in Spain years under the radar. Turkey with its weak currency will be drawing tourism again just as it did a few years ago. But tourism and currency both go hand in hand and will fluctuate. Brexit well we don't know yet but plenty of British still wanting to move out of UK.
​​​​​
Old Sep 7th 2018, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Concord is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi does anybody really know what will happen people seem to always look on the black side,who knows it could be better
Old Sep 7th 2018, 8:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Concord
Hi does anybody really know what will happen people seem to always look on the black side,who knows it could be better
No-one, not even the UK government or even the EU know what will happen, only thing that is certain is that the way the UK government id going at the moment it would seem to be an unholy mess.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:32 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute

I do not see how exchange rates can have anything to do with it. £1 = €1.10 for the last 12 months.Cost of living in Spain is cheaper. Cost of a pint of beer in Manchester £3.93. Spain €1.99Cost of property in Spain is cheaper. The only people better off in the UK are the benefit claimers.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Better for who? I can't see any circumstances under brexit that will make life better for expats living in Spain or anywhere else in the EU? It may of course end up not being as bad as some are predicting yes but better? No way, worse a good possibility. However we can't go back to pre June 2016 things have moved on, we simply must just deal as best with whatever is the final outcome.
Old Sep 7th 2018, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

You have to look at what the Tory party has become in the UK ..... they have seriously lost the plot. Whilst my own opinion is that UK migrants living in ESP will be OK I can't share the same belief for those living in FR or other countries in the EU as I think there will be some tit-for-tat on how well EU migrants are treated in the UK (which isn't looking too bright at the moment)..

https://www.metro.news/rees-mogg-eu-...-stay/1215909/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.