Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brits leaving UK for EU

Brits leaving UK for EU

Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits leaving UK for EU

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I have lived and worked in Spain for a number of years. I'm no where near retirement age and regret my move now. I speak pretty good Spanish and have little contact with other Brits as I live in a working area. The irony is that the more you integrate the more isolated you actually become. The more you live in a world focussed on Spanish affairs and culture the more alien it feels, not familiar. I know that sounds strange but the Brits I occasinally meet are so keen to talk up Spanish culture it's almost like everything comes from that damn book about lemons!! The truth is it is nothing like that. You are always a foreigner and half-known to your spanish colleagues. You are never fully you. Sometimes I suppose I envy the ignorance you have in the beginning as then you mould everything to suit your expectations. You make Spain into Spain. Further down the line if you withdraw from the safety of fellow sunworshipping -everyday- is- holiday men you find a country, that appeals on some levels but often disappoints on others.
You make many valid points and you are correct that none of us foreigners will ever be accepted as locals. And why should we?

Im going to improve my Spanish but I'm not going to stop drinking tea, eating bacon butties and complaining about the heat. (Not that I will as I've worked in 45 plus for extended periods)
The area we have chosen to live in has a nice mixture of nationalities and while I like Spain, it's just another place to live for us.

We are lucky as we are early retirees and I've spent most of my working life outside of the U.K. It's not a bad place to live but there are lots of places as good.

we plan to use Spain as our base because we now have a better property than we had in the uk and it's given us the money to continue to travel. The weather will be better, food is cheaper and we already have friends in the area.

We have a daughter in Australia and friends in the Caribbean so we are looking forward to spending a few longer holidays in those places.

Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
...... Personally I don't think the result was ..... understood by all as well as you present it. ....
In that regard I agreee you are likely correct, but that is true of all polls under universal suffrage, with many people voting based on ignorance, misunderstanding, prejudice, misinformation, lies, and stupidity, but I don't forsee any liklihood of the electoral roll in the UK being amended to require a minimum level of education, IQ, or even proof of sanity any time soon, so all polls, especially those with narrow margins of victory* will be susceptible to criticism based on voter ignorance.

* I recall that the April 1992 GE victory of the Conservatives, led by John Major hinged on only 2,000 voters in the ten most marginal constituencies.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In that regard I agreee you are likely correct, but that is true of all polls under universal suffrage, with many people voting based on ignorance, misunderstanding, prejudice, misinformation, lies, and stupidity, but I don't forsee any liklihood of the electoral roll in the UK being amended to require a minimum level of education, IQ, or even proof of sanity any time soon, so all polls, especially those with narrow margins of victory* will be susceptible to criticism based on voter ignorance.

* I recall that the April 1992 GE victory of the Conservatives, led by John Major hinged on only 2,000 voters in the ten most marginal constituencies.
I totally agree with your comments. Although my view is not restricting votes to only certain individuals, more that politicians should present honest facts rather than mistruths or scare mongering which in the case of this vote was done by both sides of the debate. It has and continues to be badly manipulated by politicians and advisors simply for both political and personal gain in my view. However we are where we are and they now have to make whatever they come up with work for the sake of the UK. Whether that can be done I don't know, personally for my retirement plan I am happy that the WA gives us some protection.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I have lived and worked in Spain for a number of years. I'm no where near retirement age and regret my move now. I speak pretty good Spanish and have little contact with other Brits as I live in a working area. The irony is that the more you integrate the more isolated you actually become. The more you live in a world focussed on Spanish affairs and culture the more alien it feels, not familiar. I know that sounds strange but the Brits I occasinally meet are so keen to talk up Spanish culture it's almost like everything comes from that damn book about lemons!! The truth is it is nothing like that. You are always a foreigner and half-known to your spanish colleagues. You are never fully you. Sometimes I suppose I envy the ignorance you have in the beginning as then you mould everything to suit your expectations. You make Spain into Spain. Further down the line if you withdraw from the safety of fellow sunworshipping -everyday- is- holiday men you find a country, that appeals on some levels but often disappoints on others.
I am in Portugal trying to decide if to become resident........but totally agree with your post
Old Aug 5th 2020, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
I am in Portugal trying to decide if to become resident........but totally agree with your post

Hope you aren t called Juan Carlos!!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

no I am Juan Sheet !!!!!
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

People will as you say still be able to relocate but it will come down to wealth in order to do that. The main point especially for retirees will be healthcare. Unless already here legally in Spain before 31 Dec they will not be able to benefit from the free healthcare provided by an S1 unless they come as a dependant of an S1 holder. So many people will loose out but not the wealthy . Without doubt this will be a big change for the worse for anyone wanting to relocate to an eu country. Of course that may be fine for some like yourself having voted in favour of that. But for many it's a great loss and not far off as many in reality didn't vote for that. Also as we see on these forums there are some that voted for it but they still believed for some odd reason that they would still get everything. Personally I don't think the result was as clear cut or understood by all as well as you present it. Removed comment due to Rule 15
There are still many doors open for those a few years away from retirement. Here in the Republic of Ireland there has been an increase of Brits moving their business to Ireland and a friend told me that 30-40% of job applicants they had were from the UK. Even for those aged over 50 planning to spend retirement in Spain are better off working here at a supermarket for 5 years and can then apply for Irish Citizenship.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
There are still many doors open for those a few years away from retirement. Here in the Republic of Ireland there has been an increase of Brits moving their business to Ireland and a friend told me that 30-40% of job applicants they had were from the UK. Even for those aged over 50 planning to spend retirement in Spain are better off working here at a supermarket for 5 years and can then apply for Irish Citizenship.
Yes there will no doubt be work around the system. I know someone who has been looking into trying to get Irish Citizenship through his family links, question I had for him was he may be entitled to citizenship but would the Republic of Ireland pay for his medical carec as a retiree if he then moved to Spain or would the UK still give him an S1 if he took Irish Citizenship and then moved to Spain? He thought they would I wasn't sure. It is something I could have possibly considered as my mother is was Irish N Ireland (not sure but I believe that still would allow me to pursue Irish Citizenship? Although I'm sure the process isn't simple and as I have my rights protected under the WA not something I need to consider now.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 9:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... It is something I could have possibly considered as my mother is was Irish N Ireland (not sure but I believe that still would allow me to pursue Irish Citizenship? ....
Yes, the Irish government considers everyone born on the island of Ireland to be an Irish Citizen.
Old Aug 6th 2020, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, the Irish government considers everyone born on the island of Ireland to be an Irish Citizen.
Yes thanks that's what I thought.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 5:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Er it was extended three times, when originally the UK was supposed to be out of the EU by March 2019 (was there originally supposed to be a further "transition period"? I don't recall ), two years after Article 50 was executed. And IIRC in the end it was the EU that said "no more renegotiations, no more extensions".
As ever you're confused. The EU extended the Article 50 deadline which required a Withdrawal agreement originally within 2 years. Eventually a WA was agreed, first by May but that fell apart as a result of the 2017 election. Boris stepped in as an incompetent fake PM and decided to "rescue" the situation by backing down on the "border in the Irish Sea". None of this of course has a bearing on the transition period duration, first set to expires on Dec 31st 2020 when the May deal was agreed. When the renogiated WA "magicked out of thin air" by Boris backing down on the Good Friday Agreement took force, the transition period was deemed by the EU to be extendable for up to 2 years, at the request of the UK Gov lodged before July. The new utterly incompetent UK gov didn't bother with that. Consequence? No Deal. No Future. No Hope. No F***ing Sense.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my granddaughters was born in Ireland and has citizenship and a passport. I envy her.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski has said,people have always been able to relocate to Spain,a country he has never lived in.Not quite that simple,Laddie.We came in 1985 & operated a business as I have detailed before.You would imagine that would be easier than a retiree since we bought our licence from a Spaniard,bought more than one property & were in the social security system ,all had to be serviced by Spanish sources & indeed we had to offer firstly employment to Spanish nationals.Everything was severed from our home country as legally at that time you could not have an English Bank account,no child benefit for our daughter,which I do think is something you should forfeit,but we did still have a vote I remember.Our whole investment was in Spain.Things changed once Spain joined the EU,not financially for us,but it was so good to see young families coming here & starting up new enterprises without having to be chained to a Spanish origin.Over these many years the face of Spain has altered in most parts of this large country.Even south Of Alicante city to the Costa del Sol where the spaghetti Westerns used to be filmed & in the far north provinces.Look how so many areas north of Barcelona are now actively thriving by the foreigners drawn to a new life.Joining the EU was the best thing that happened since their Monarchy was restored I believe.I am saddened that my own country deprived me of a say in the referendum.This was not as Bobd22 states,because I could not be bothered to vote,or I was living under the radar.Just because my own countrymen have decided for me that I have no further interest in Britain despite always keeping my British nationality.Brexit will be a disaster for Britain & Bonkers Boris will be one day be known for breaking up what we all used to call the United Kingdom.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As far as I know Ireland would still be a place for Brits post Brexit and post Withdrawal-Whatever-Agreement. Also the language barrier is minimal, excluding the Irish language. The movement rights between the UK and Ireland are older than the EU, and as far as I am concerned any Brit resident in Ireland can even vote in every election there.

I have strong sympathies for anybody wishing to leave the UK because of Brexit. It's just too much of a dumb experiment, by small-minded politicians, and the fear of the break up between Scotland and the rest of the UK will always be there. Who want's to remain in such a country, where one half is missing and the other half is isolated?

Last edited by OrangeMango; Aug 14th 2020 at 2:32 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2020, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dougal03
This was not as Bobd22 states,because I could not be bothered to vote,or I was living under the radar.Just because my own countrymen have decided for me that I have no further interest in Britain despite always keeping my British nationality.
I wish to point out that I never said or inferred that you had lived under the radar or couldn't be bothered to vote. I fully understand that for those like yourself who have been out of the UK over 15 years lose their right to vote unfortunately . In my comment on the matter of voting I was not referring to such people, my comment was in relation to those that have and do live under the radar, if people choose to live that way they can't expect to ignore the rules yet retain the rights of someone that does abide with rules. Or those that possibly could have applied for overseas voting but didn't bother yet complain re the result. I never mentioned anyone specifically and consider your mention of myself in your post a miss representation of what I actually said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.