Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brits leaving UK for EU

Brits leaving UK for EU

Old Aug 4th 2020, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brits leaving UK for EU

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ce-brexit-vote

Old Aug 4th 2020, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brits leaving UK for EU

I think most of the excess of people leaving were already in EU but are now having to live on the radar rather than under it, i know a few myself
Old Aug 4th 2020, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
I think most of the excess of people leaving were already in EU but are now having to live on the radar rather than under it, i know a few myself
I agree that would be my guess as well.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:29 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I'll disagree; I have had a lot of queries from people intending to move over here both some that have holiday homes here and others who are simply "up-sticks & move" having nothing here before. There appears to be a season of unrest in the UK and I believe many are jumping without really looking as they are scared they will miss the boat.

Davexf
Old Aug 4th 2020, 1:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
..... I believe many are jumping without really looking as they are scared they will miss the boat. ....
And many of those will live to regret their hasty decision. Moving to another country, where you don't speak the language, don't understand the culture, and are not familiar with the law, especially as it relates to taxes, social charges, healthcare coverage, benefits (or lack there of), etc. is not a decision that should be taken in haste.

When people have already had four years to plan for Brexit taking effect, it astounds me how many people have waited until the last nine months, or less, to "exercise their right to free movement" and decamp to an EU country.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 4th 2020 at 3:01 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Tax is a big issue for Brits. Many simply assume thd system is similar to UK. Hence CGT problems and also IHT which is quite severe for Brits.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

We will be on a ferry over on the 19th, however we have been visiting the area we now own a property in for around 15 years.
There are many like us, who have brought our plans forward due to the B word. We were going to move in 2022 when I reached 60 as my job paid well and I was able to stick loads away in my pension.
Due to other circumstances we have been able to move our plans forward and were due to move in late March but then Covid happened.

The biggest issue in Spain is the number of retired people who haven't bothered to register as they 'pop' back to the uk for healthcare and to mot their car.
Our solisitor has said that they have over a hundred people who have lived full time in Spain for at least 10 years now trying to get residency.

As as to the tax system, why would anyone think different countries would be the same? And with the internet these days there is no excuse for not knowing,
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
We will be on a ferry over on the 19th, however we have been visiting the area we now own a property in for around 15 years.
There are many like us, who have brought our plans forward due to the B word. We were going to move in 2022 when I reached 60 as my job paid well and I was able to stick loads away in my pension.
Due to other circumstances we have been able to move our plans forward and were due to move in late March but then Covid happened.

The biggest issue in Spain is the number of retired people who haven't bothered to register as they 'pop' back to the uk for healthcare and to mot their car.
Our solisitor has said that they have over a hundred people who have lived full time in Spain for at least 10 years now trying to get residency.

As as to the tax system, why would anyone think different countries would be the same? And with the internet these days there is no excuse for not knowing,

I have lived and worked in Spain for a number of years. I'm no where near retirement age and regret my move now. I speak pretty good Spanish and have little contact with other Brits as I live in a working area. The irony is that the more you integrate the more isolated you actually become. The more you live in a world focussed on Spanish affairs and culture the more alien it feels, not familiar. I know that sounds strange but the Brits I occasinally meet are so keen to talk up Spanish culture it's almost like everything comes from that damn book about lemons!! The truth is it is nothing like that. You are always a foreigner and half-known to your spanish colleagues. You are never fully you. Sometimes I suppose I envy the ignorance you have in the beginning as then you mould everything to suit your expectations. You make Spain into Spain. Further down the line if you withdraw from the safety of fellow sunworshipping -everyday- is- holiday men you find a country, that appeals on some levels but often disappoints on others.

Last edited by Chipmonk; Aug 4th 2020 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I'll disagree; I have had a lot of queries from people intending to move over here both some that have holiday homes here and others who are simply "up-sticks & move" having nothing here before. There appears to be a season of unrest in the UK and I believe many are jumping without really looking as they are scared they will miss the boat.

Davexf
I think you have a valid point and my guess is a mixture of people making the move while they know they can and those that have been under the radar making themselves legal. The latter of course makes it look like a mass exodus from the UK , when in fact many left years ago.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I have lived and worked in Spain for a number of years. I'm no where near retirement age and regret my move now. I speak pretty good Spanish and have little contact with other Brits as I live in a working area. The irony is that the more you integrate the more isolated you actually become. The more you live in a world focussed on Spanish affairs and culture the more alien it feels, not familiar. I know that sounds strange but the Brits I occasinally meet are so keen to talk up Spanish culture it's almost like everything comes from that damn book about lemons!! The truth is it is nothing like that. You are always a foreigner and half-known to your spanish colleagues. You are never fully you. Sometimes I suppose I envy the ignorance you have in the beginning as then you mould everything to suit your expectations. You make Spain into Spain. Further down the line if you withdraw from the safety of fellow sunworshipping -everyday- is- holiday men you find a country, that appeals on some levels but often disappoints on others.
I couldnt of said it better. My parents and I have been here 20 years now. We would move back in a heartbeat.

Last edited by bfg69bug; Aug 4th 2020 at 4:21 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
When people have already had four years to plan for Brexit taking effect, it astounds me how many people have waited until the last nine months, or less, to "exercise their right to free movement" and decamp to an EU country.
I guess many thought it would never happen and over 4 years many things have changed in the UK which makes people think they are better off here.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 4:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I guess many thought it would never happen .....
Yeah, I think there was a feeling, especially among remain-leaners, after the 2017 General Election fiasco, that Brexit might not actually be put into effect. December 2019 put paid to that thought.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess many thought it would never happen and over 4 years many things have changed in the UK which makes people think they are better off here.
I feel its important that people realise that there are not in many ways better off in Spain than UK. People fail to realise exactly how lucky they are in UK. Contrary to popular opinion the NHS is excellent and is not worse than Spain. Spain is a poor country compared to UK. Spanish work longer hours for less pay so spain for a working person is not cheap. Spain also has political issues. It has drugs, violence, teenage pregnancies, the same as UK. The costas , where many retired Brits live, is essentially a purpose built zone for holidays and second homes. Many are barely communities as their populations fluctuate considerably making stable populations hard to maintain. The UK is actually a great country. It has low poverty, it has high education, it has safety nets, its progressive, forward thinking, it has flexibility, it's truly multicultural and tolerant.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Like everywhere Spain and UK both have good and bad points. I find many people that move to Spain hold quite a blinkered view and see all things Spanish positive and all things UK negative. It really depends upon ones circumstances. Personally I have retired here with decent pension and the protection provided by the withdrawal agreement. Moving to Spain to actually work and live for me would have been a totally different matter. Everyone's life and circumstances are very different. So your honest view Chipmonk should be very valuable to many .
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:04 am
Just Joined

R.Scratcher is an unknown quantity at this point

I totally agree with that. Also I think that many people like me never thought that in a million years the British electorate would be insane enough to vote for the current prime minister.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.