Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Old May 20th 2013, 9:57 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Hello everyone,

Hubby and I are travelling over to Spain in September and we have booked a pet friendly cabin to accommodate our dog. Just wondering if any one knows what the situation is regarding an area where she can relieve herself? She will not go to the toilet if it's a path or roadway etc. She only goes on grass or rough ground.

I am also hoping that what ever area is allocated is actually clean and dog owners do clean up! It really annoys me when they don't and pretend they haven't noticed that their dog has just done a huge poo

Any information appreciated.
chocaholic22 is offline  
Old May 20th 2013, 10:02 pm
  #2  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hello everyone,

Hubby and I are travelling over to Spain in September and we have booked a pet friendly cabin to accommodate our dog. Just wondering if any one knows what the situation is regarding an area where she can relieve herself? She will not go to the toilet if it's a path or roadway etc. She only goes on grass or rough ground.

I am also hoping that what ever area is allocated is actually clean and dog owners do clean up! It really annoys me when they don't and pretend they haven't noticed that their dog has just done a huge poo

Any information appreciated.
Presume you're travelling on the Cap.

Yes there's a good sized steel floored exercise area on the top deck and from what I've seen it's kept fairly clean both by dog owners and crew.

Sorry no grass, but maybe if they hang on to the ships long enough, who knows ?
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 1:09 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Presume you're travelling on the Cap.

Yes there's a good sized steel floored exercise area on the top deck and from what I've seen it's kept fairly clean both by dog owners and crew.

Sorry no grass, but maybe if they hang on to the ships long enough, who knows ?
Thank you for the reply and information. Hopefully the area will have a few smells and she will realise it's okay to use the area as a toilet!

Yes it is the Cap we are sailing on, really looking forward to it. We usually go on the chunnel and drive through France.
chocaholic22 is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 6:50 am
  #4  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

I sailed back on the Pont a couple of years back, in June.
No doggy cabins on there,only cages.

It was a really rough crossing and I wasn't to clever on my legs at the time so there was no way I could clamber up on the top deck to exercise my Mutt outside the cages/kennels.

When we got into port I went to collect him and noticed there was not a single drop of wee or anything else run off into the gutter below his cage despite it being nearly 24 hours from him first being restricted to the car and then inside his kennel.

He waited patiently while I collected his stuff then took him out onto the exercise area.
He then cocked his leg and he peed and peed and peed and peed for ever and a day.
It was running like river right across the deck and over the side of the ship and still he was peeing !
It was truly amazing how a small dog could have held so much in for all that time having supped quite a lot of water during the crossing.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 6:57 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I sailed back on the Pont a couple of years back, in June.
No doggy cabins on there,only cages.

It was a really rough crossing and I wasn't to clever on my legs at the time so there was no way I could clamber up on the top deck to exercise my Mutt outside the cages/kennels.

When we got into port I went to collect him and noticed there was not a single drop of wee or anything else run off into the gutter below his cage despite it being nearly 24 hours from him first being restricted to the car and then inside his kennel.

He waited patiently while I collected his stuff then took him out onto the exercise area.
He then cocked his leg and he peed and peed and peed and peed for ever and a day.
It was running like river right across the deck and over the side of the ship and still he was peeing !
It was truly amazing how a small dog could have held so much in for all that time having supped quite a lot of water during the crossing.
This was one of my concerns that she may try and hold it in-so to speak! Just hoping, as I said earlier, that with a few doggy smells on the top deck, she will go to the toilet.

Your poor pooch, must have been in hell. Hope we have a smoother crossing than you.

BTW apologies for the spelling of "Brittany"- must start to wear my reading glasses!!
chocaholic22 is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 7:20 am
  #6  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
This was one of my concerns that she may try and hold it in-so to speak! Just hoping, as I said earlier, that with a few doggy smells on the top deck, she will go to the toilet.

Your poor pooch, must have been in hell. Hope we have a smoother crossing than you.

BTW apologies for the spelling of "Brittany"- must start to wear my reading glasses!!
You are lucky to have a doggy cabin, but obviously you've booked well in advance to get one.
Not sure if you've seen the kennels, but basically they're just steel mesh cages, not very dog friendly at all and obviously most dogs hate them and their owners as well.
I've seen owners crying their eyes out looking at their distressed dogs in the cages, whilst others are ranting and raving and swearing never again to allow their dogs to travel that way.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 7:32 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
You are lucky to have a doggy cabin, but obviously you've booked well in advance to get one.
Not sure if you've seen the kennels, but basically they're just steel mesh cages, not very dog friendly at all and obviously most dogs hate them and their owners as well.
I've seen owners crying their eyes out looking at their distressed dogs in the cages, whilst others are ranting and raving and swearing never again to allow their dogs to travel that way.
Yes, we booked early in the year.The last three years all the doggy cabins went quickly. I had read about other owners and their poor dog's experiences with the cages and could not face the thought of putting her in one. Hence the long drive through France each year.
chocaholic22 is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 8:25 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Yes, we booked early in the year.The last three years all the doggy cabins went quickly. I had read about other owners and their poor dog's experiences with the cages and could not face the thought of putting her in one. Hence the long drive through France each year.
We recently did the LD lines crossing from St Nazare to Gijon with our dog. Its 15 hrs and he stayed in the motorhome. Its a night crossing and he wouldn't need to go to the toilet between boarding the ferry at 8pm and breakfast. He was fine when we went to see him at 9 in the morning. He had a walk around the deck and took advantage of a large truck wheel. No way would he poo!!! poor thing held for a further 4 hours till we got off the boat and found some grass for him.
olivia is offline  
Old May 21st 2013, 9:15 pm
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by olivia
We recently did the LD lines crossing from St Nazare to Gijon with our dog. Its 15 hrs and he stayed in the motorhome. Its a night crossing and he wouldn't need to go to the toilet between boarding the ferry at 8pm and breakfast. He was fine when we went to see him at 9 in the morning. He had a walk around the deck and took advantage of a large truck wheel. No way would he poo!!! poor thing held for a further 4 hours till we got off the boat and found some grass for him.
That must have been handy being able to leave him in the motorhome. I didn't know you were allowed to do that. We are doing the two night crossing, so she should be used to the situation by the following day-I hope!
chocaholic22 is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 4:46 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 1,878
bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Never travelled on the Cap but done the Pont Aven 5 times and return trip coming up. My dog has never had any problems on the journeys other than catching her claw on the exit/entry grid for the kennels. I now lift her across them. I have also never seen any upset owners other than the ones who failed to clean up their dog mess and other owners had a go at them, or the one who booked a large kennel for her very small dog and had no way of getting it secured in the cage. I take my dogs own bed and she has no bother being in the cage at all. She will pee on the exercise deck but not so keen to poo on it.
bxpuser24710519 is offline  
Old May 24th 2013, 5:16 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 135
chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice
Default Re: Britrainy Ferries and travelling with our dog

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Never travelled on the Cap but done the Pont Aven 5 times and return trip coming up. My dog has never had any problems on the journeys other than catching her claw on the exit/entry grid for the kennels. I now lift her across them. I have also never seen any upset owners other than the ones who failed to clean up their dog mess and other owners had a go at them, or the one who booked a large kennel for her very small dog and had no way of getting it secured in the cage. I take my dogs own bed and she has no bother being in the cage at all. She will pee on the exercise deck but not so keen to poo on it.
Thank you for your reply. It's the pooing I think she will have a problem with, but if she really needs to go I'm sure she will.
chocaholic22 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.