Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British TV changeover from Analogue

British TV changeover from Analogue

Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of
Default British TV changeover from Analogue

When the changeover takes place in April will it affect my ability to watch via Sky the programmes currently available to me? If it is going to affect me, what steps do I have to take to ensure continuity? Thank you.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British TV changeover from Analogue

Since you are already watching digital TV via Sky you will not be affected.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:37 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
When the changeover takes place in April will it affect my ability to watch via Sky the programmes currently available to me? If it is going to affect me, what steps do I have to take to ensure continuity? Thank you.
most of the UK has already gone digital, its only Tyne Tees, London and Meridian that will be going over in 2012 to complete the exercise

if you are currently getting programmes via sky then there should be no change to what you receive
Old Mar 19th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

Thank you both for your comments - I am relieved, to put it mildly.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do wish people would give a location, although the answer, in this case, would be the same.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 9:12 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I do wish people would give a location, although the answer, in this case, would be the same.
well as I pointed out, the only regions left are Tyne Tees, London and Meridian, everyone else has been through this.

oh so many people have fallen for the New Aerial trick, the installers must be some of the few making big profits in the current recession
http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/how_do_i_switch/your_aerial
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

cerrillo is an unknown quantity at this point

I lost ITV 1 meridian south east on 103 a few weeks ago, it just says this programme is not available, now if i want to watch ITV 1 I go to ITV1 London on 993, am i likely to lose this as well when London changes. I presume I have lost Meridian south east due to the changeover so am I likely to lose London as well. I just use free to air Sky and I still have the old blue card in the box and this was for south east.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:19 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Please note that the changeover from analogue to digital has nothing to do with what you can or cannot see in Spain via your sat system.....nothing!

Now should you live in the UK ?
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by playamonte
Please note that the changeover from analogue to digital has nothing to do with what you can or cannot see in Spain via your sat system.....nothing!

I don't understand the comment about whether or not I should live in the UK.

Do you mean that if I lived in the UK I should be worried or do you mean something else? Thank you.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by playamonte

Any ideas why i have lost ITV1 on sky 103 then. it went off a few weeks ago round about the time Meridian started changing over to digital. I hear what you say about it having nothing to do with what I see in Spain via sat system
but what has happened to ITV1 Meridian South East on sky 103
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:53 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alectryon
I don't understand the comment about whether or not I should live in the UK.

Do you mean that if I lived in the UK I should be worried or do you mean something else? Thank you.
It means (and not aimed at anyone in particular) that the changeover is only relevant to the UK, and only if you receive TV via an ariel.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 5:54 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cerrillo
Any ideas why i have lost ITV1 on sky 103 then. it went off a few weeks ago round about the time Meridian started changing over to digital. I hear what you say about it having nothing to do with what I see in Spain via sat system
Now that is a question for The Guy who no doubt will be along soon.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:08 pm

all of a sudden when the analogue to digital transfer is almost finished people are starting to have problems

did the Spanish have all this trouble ???

cannot understand why people cannot understand the difference between UK Terrestial Digital and Satellite reception in Spain
but it takes all sorts
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:14 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cerrillo
Your loss of ITV1 on 103 has NOTHING to do with DSO - (digital switch over) in the UK - which is affecting terrestrial signals (ie via a TV aerial eg freeview) only, and not satellite signals (which are extra terrestrial, and is NOT Freeview). Sky has been digital for about 15 years now so if you are using a Sky box you have been digital for many years so far and not affected by DSO in the UK.

So the problem oif ITV1 Mer SE.

ITV1 Meridian South East has not changed its frequency recently, so it is nothing to do with that. So if you used to get his on 103, and now cannot then it boils down to the on screen message you are getting.

Some ITV regions have been changing their boundaries as to who get which regional version - all down to advertising. So perhaps you have been affected by that. It sounds like previously you were getting another ITV1 Meridian region on 103 and not ITV1 Mer SE. However now you have now been allocated Meridian SE on 103. Same thing applied to Tyne Tees areas. And a few others, as there were postcards from Sky delivered to UK addresses affected saying you may have to redo any Sky+ recordings due to changes being made by ITV.

ITV1 Meridian SE is one of a handful of ITV1 regions that require a Sky card to view. you say the message is "this programme is not available". Which usually appears when you have an expired card in the sky box, usually a old blue yellow house card. So your old / expired card is not valid and unable to unscramble that channel. And you will not have been able to unscramble Mer SE for a couple of years, as the blue cards were deactivated for channel encryption a couple of years ago, but they still work for regionalisation of channels 101, 102, 103, 104 and 105.

So it sound like you used to get another "free to air" ITV1 Meridian on 103, which you could watch even without a viewing card.
Now, because of the postcode of the blue card, on 103 you have been reallocated another ITV1 region, Mer SE. Which requires a working card. Not the blue card you currently have.

So either get an active card for that region, or just use 993.

Last edited by The Guy; Mar 20th 2012 at 6:29 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2012, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for our reply the Guy, its always been M SE and like I say gone in the lst few weeks. My card is the old blue yellow house one. I dont actually need the card in the box anymore do I? I am useless with technical things . QUOTE=The Guy;9963347]Your loss of ITV1 on 103 has NOTHING to do with DSO - (digital switch over) in the UK - which is affecting terrestrial signals (ie via a TV aerial eg freeview) only, and not satellite signals (which are extra terrestrial, and is NOT Freeview). Sky has been digital for about 15 years now so if you are using a Sky box you have been digital for many years so far and not affected by DSO in the UK.

So the problem oif ITV1 Mer SE.

Some ITV regions have been changing their boundaries as to who get which regional version - all down to advertising. So perhaps you have been affected by that. For example you may have been getting another ITV1 Meridian region, and have now been allocated Meridian SE?

ITV1 Meridian South East has not changed its frequency recently, so it is nothing to do with that. So if you used to get his on 103, and cannot then it boils down to the on screen messgae you are getting.

ITV1 Meridian SE is one of a handful of ITV1 regions that require a SKy card to view. you say the message is "this programme is not available". Which usually appears when you have an expired card in the sky box, usually a old blue yellow house card. So your old / expired card is not valid and unable to unscramble that channel.[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.