Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British standards ???

British standards ???

Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British standards ???

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Thank you Fred

Continuing on this topic. Read in the news recently where schoolchildren from Asian families are to be allowed extra leave in term time to visit their "HOME" countries. A few days later in the same newspaper a white working class family are facing fines of up to £8000 because they took their 2 kids on a weeks holiday to Spain....British double standards
read that article - about longer holidays, but presumably that will also apply to any non-Asian children as well, after all the teachers will also want that extra time off. But surely the irony comes in them going "HOME", when I thought they all had British passports and the UK was HOME. But I suppose it all depends on which passport you slap down on the desk, especially when you have 2 or more.

It is really about time the UK got its act together. It isn't a large country like USA, where there are regional differences caused by distance. Even if we could get the English to stick to one system, all starting/finishing school terms on the same day. And then there are the different curriculum's that schools follow, dependent on which exam board the head teacher thinks will give them the better brownie points when the results come out.

But its not just education, the NHS is just as bad with different types of hospital, trusts - not only for hospitals but for ambulances etc etc. And there are the teaching this that and the other.
How the flying fish can you ever compare the performance of anything any more, they can't even have the same systems in a particular county.
But it means there are plenty of boards and committees for people to sit on and take the icing off the cake.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Off Topic What we need is a David Starkey to inject some new life into this thread.

He's always good value on Question Time. Last night was no exception. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the panel - mind you, with the idiot George Galloway and some bumbling Tory called Matthew Hancock, not much competition.

David doesn't suffer fools gladly, and will even take a pop at the lefty studio audience.

Last night he made a brilliant case against the RMT. Basically saying the Tube drivers are overpaid - technology means the trains could be fully automated.
And who needs ticket offices anyway?

Must admit, I can't see why tube drivers are paid 50K plus. Where as a London bus driver is lucky to see half of that.

Bob Crow, salt of the earth.. NOT!
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Off Topic What we need is a David Starkey to inject some new life into this thread.

He's always good value on Question Time. Last night was no exception. He was head and shoulders above the rest of the panel - mind you, with the idiot George Galloway and some bumbling Tory called Matthew Hancock, not much competition.

David doesn't suffer fools gladly, and will even take a pop at the lefty studio audience.

Last night he made a brilliant case against the RMT. Basically saying the Tube drivers are overpaid - technology means the trains could be fully automated.

Must admit, I can't see why tube drivers are paid 50K plus. Where as a London bus driver is lucky to see half of that.

I caught a few bits, ill watch it again later, I missed the rape comments though, I just caught Galloways response, it is worth a watch ??
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I caught a few bits, ill watch it again later, I missed the rape comments though, I just caught Galloways response, it is worth a watch ??
Yes they talked about the Roach case - mostly the pros and cons of anonymity.

The rest of it was mostly Tube drivers and State vs Public schools.

On the latter, Starkey made the point that state education has been on the decline since the late 60s.

Must admit I agree. The comprehensive experiment was doomed to failure, but that's another subject...
Old Feb 7th 2014, 11:53 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Starkey is a tosspot! Little wonder he was sacked from the show, he was abusive and lost control of the children he was there to impose his form of history onto them. I'd hoped we had seen the last of him, sad really, a brilliant mind wasted.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:00 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they talked about the Roach case - mostly the pros and cons of anonymity.

The rest of it was mostly Tube drivers and State vs Public schools.

On the latter, Starkey made the point that state education has been on the decline since the late 60s.

Must admit I agree. The comprehensive experiment was doomed to failure, but that's another subject...
I couldn't agree more, there was something extremely scary about a serial sadist, dressed in cap and gown, flexing his cane.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Starkey is a tosspot! Little wonder he was sacked from the show, he was abusive and lost control of the children he was there to impose his form of history onto them. I'd hoped we had seen the last of him, sad really, a brilliant mind wasted.
Quite agree. I always thought he was the weak link in the fab four.
Not a very good drummer, and as for Thomas The Tank Engine...

Last edited by lutonlad; Feb 7th 2014 at 12:12 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:23 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Quite agree. I always thought he was the weak link in the fab four.
Not a very good drummer, and as for Thomas The Tank Engine...
Old Feb 7th 2014, 12:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Another thread hijacked, no doubt Jacky will be along to complain....
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
read that article - about longer holidays, but presumably that will also apply to any non-Asian children as well, after all the teachers will also want that extra time off. But surely the irony comes in them going "HOME", when I thought they all had British passports and the UK was HOME. But I suppose it all depends on which passport you slap down on the desk, especially when you have 2 or more.

I am surprised that British Expats have this narrow view Don't we all, posting on here have more than one "home"??

For British children with parent(s) of non-British origin, of course UK is their main home, but for many all their relatives will be in another country including their grandparents. Isn't it important that they should learn about their heritage and 'other' country of origin its history and geography,--- school standards ---the subject of this thread?*

The question whether they take time out of school term is different; on balance I think there should be one rule for all, if only that difference leads to yet more ill feeling, as expressed here.

India does not allow dual nationality, I believe that Pakistan and Bangladesh do allow.

*decades ago we took an extra week holiday, our 6 year old was given the task of keeping a 'diary' with photos. When we returned he was asked to show it to class-mates and describe where he had been. It had educational value for all.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
Don't we all, posting on here have more than one "home"??
No
Old Feb 7th 2014, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
No
I stand corrected.
Most of us then!! Both British and expat isn't that the Forum title? or myself "Bipat", duopat, 2pat---.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
I am surprised that British Expats have this narrow view Don't we all, posting on here have more than one "home"??

For British children with parent(s) of non-British origin, of course UK is their main home, but for many all their relatives will be in another country including their grandparents. Isn't it important that they should learn about their heritage and 'other' country of origin its history and geography,--- school standards ---the subject of this thread?*

The question whether they take time out of school term is different; on balance I think there should be one rule for all, if only that difference leads to yet more ill feeling, as expressed here.

India does not allow dual nationality, I believe that Pakistan and Bangladesh do allow.

*decades ago we took an extra week holiday, our 6 year old was given the task of keeping a 'diary' with photos. When we returned he was asked to show it to class-mates and describe where he had been. It had educational value for all.
Semantics, Semantics.
My father was Welsh, but I have never called Wales "home".
Home is where I live and go home to on a daily basis.

As to schooling, when a family is living in the UK and the curriculum covers history it will be about history of the UK, in the same way as Spain covers its own national history, as do France, Germany, Italy etc etc. It will be about National History on which exams will be set.

Because someone has (grand) parent(s) from another part of the world to the UK doesn't give them an automatic right to be taught about that country. That is what is called "extra curricular", and if necessary provided by the parents not the state education system.

But we do agree on two things - the first being the interest that "show and tell" can generate in a class, although some may say it can cause jealousy, as expressed by the tee-shirt - "She went to New York and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt." A once in a life time trip to Delhi does trump Clacton or Bournemouth - I know, I have been to all three.

And the second thing is that the school year is set in stone, that is when the kids should be at their desks. There are really few opportunities to catch up on something that may have been missed. No one should be missing because of a whim by the parents - who wouldn't take such a high handed attitude with their employer.

I believe a guy has started a campaign against holiday/flights that increase by 30-50% during term and half term holidays. I hope he succeeds.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry! I know it´s off topic but you have to be joking!
People get paid 50k plus for something about as complicated as driving a dodgem car at the fair ground!
Granted there are traffic lights to contend with and I´m sure there´s a train heater switch somewhere! That simply can´t be true!???
Old Feb 7th 2014, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Domino
Semantics, Semantics.
My father was Welsh, but I have never called Wales "home".
Home is where I live and go home to on a daily basis.

[B]As to schooling, when a family is living in the UK and the curriculum covers history it will be about history of the UK,[/B] in the same way as Spain covers its own national history, as do France, Germany, Italy etc etc. It will be about National History on which exams will be set.

Because someone has (grand) parent(s) from another part of the world to the UK doesn't give them an automatic right to be taught about that country. That is what is called "extra curricular", and if necessary provided by the parents not the state education system.

But we do agree on two things - the first being the interest that "show and tell" can generate in a class, although some may say it can cause jealousy, as expressed by the tee-shirt - "She went to New York and all I got was this lousy tee-shirt." A once in a life time trip to Delhi does trump Clacton or Bournemouth - I know, I have been to all three.

And the second thing is that the school year is set in stone, that is when the kids should be at their desks. There are really few opportunities to catch up on something that may have been missed. No one should be missing because of a whim by the parents - who wouldn't take such a high handed attitude with their employer.

I believe a guy has started a campaign against holiday/flights that increase by 30-50% during term and half term holidays. I hope he succeeds.
I suppose there may be other definitions of "home"

Schools don't teach any world history??? They did in mine and my children's day.

Geography? no teaching about other countries ???

Doesn't it add interest at least at primary level if they know one or more of their classmates has origins elsewhere.

"If necessary" taught about their heritage???? Essential, I would have thought but yes obviously first taught by their parents.
Also essential I would have thought that all children learn about other countries and their people.

Yes I agree about fares increase at holiday time, but 'supply and demand' the argument I have heard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.