Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British residents re-registering after Brexit

British residents re-registering after Brexit

Old Apr 26th 2019, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default British residents re-registering after Brexit

Once we leave the EU we shall no longer be a member & I believe we shall have to register then as "Aliens". Previously this was mostly Americans,Arabs,Swiss etc.Has anyone any info. on what the criteria will be? I am pretty sure it will include private health cover & an amount lodged in a Spanish Bank account & perhaps demonstrate we will have a regular income.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British residents re-registering after Brexit

Fully explained here

http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/...residence.aspx
Old Apr 26th 2019, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

We're not out of the EU yet.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 5:00 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

I am grateful that this will not apply to us.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 5:25 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
We're not out of the EU yet.
Bankia are in the process of changing the details in bank books. They are removing the NIE that has always been shown because they are now using your passport number which means that they are providing new books purely due to this change. I was told that this brings us in line with other nationalities who are not in the EU. Talk about getting ahead of themselves!!!!

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2019, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Mustard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Bankia are in the process of changing the details in bank books. They are removing the NIE that has always been shown because they are now using your passport number which means that they are providing new books purely due to this change. I was told that this brings us in line with other nationalities who are not in the EU. Talk about getting ahead of themselves!!!!

Rosemary
That's very interesting Rosemary and I'd really like to know what a 'bank book' is. Is it related to a current account or a savings account?
Old Apr 26th 2019, 6:41 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mustard
That's very interesting Rosemary and I'd really like to know what a 'bank book' is. Is it related to a current account or a savings account?
They call it Demand Savings but it is the current account.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2019, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

But surely a permanent number either on the TIE or the NIE will still exist? This must be essential as our passport numbers change with a new passport or has Bankia not sussed that?
Old Apr 27th 2019, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by spainrico
But surely a permanent number either on the TIE or the NIE will still exist? This must be essential as our passport numbers change with a new passport or has Bankia not sussed that?
Last time that my passport changed I took my new one into the bank in order to update their records so I suspect that this is the method that will be used. On their computer they have the date on the passport so if we do not provide the new details they will request that we do. So yes they are well aware that our passport numbers change.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2019, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

This seems to be a bit previous to me by the bank. As was mentioned earlier in the thread by bobbob we haven't left yet. Even when we do if it's with a deal ? Then there is a transition period. The article from Spanish government say nothing much really changes for those already registered/residency other than losing right to vote etc. They also say we MAY be required to apply for a foreginers identity card but either way we can apply if we wish which will prove the right of residency. Of course it is going to be different for those applying/obtaining residency after we leave but not sure how that will change. Surely even after that time one will need to have an NIE which unlike passport number never changes ? I suppose if we need to do something they will tell us? Of course being Spain they may only tell us after they have embargoed and frozen the account.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by bobd22
This seems to be a bit previous to me by the bank. As was mentioned earlier in the thread by bobbob we haven't left yet. Even when we do if it's with a deal ? Then there is a transition period. The article from Spanish government say nothing much really changes for those already registered/residency other than losing right to vote etc. They also say we MAY be required to apply for a foreginers identity card but either way we can apply if we wish which will prove the right of residency. Of course it is going to be different for those applying/obtaining residency after we leave but not sure how that will change. Surely even after that time one will need to have an NIE which unlike passport number never changes ? I suppose if we need to do something they will tell us? Of course being Spain they may only tell us after they have embargoed and frozen the account.
The NIE is still in their system it is just being removed from the bank book. Very premature action, a stupid action.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2019, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Bankia have a bit of a history . As Caja Madrid they were controlled by local politicians whose actions lending to crony constructors contributed to the bankruptcy of the Caja system. Then they convinced often elderly clients to invest their life savings in preference shares which turned out to be worthless. Then the fiasco of the Bankia share flotation... many customers invested in shares based on false information and lost their shirts. Then the 'tarjetas negras' ( tax free illegal payments to bosses ).

I recommend the use of a twenty-foot bargepole!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Mustard
Bankia have a bit of a history . As Caja Madrid they were controlled by local politicians whose actions lending to crony constructors contributed to the bankruptcy of the Caja system. Then they convinced often elderly clients to invest their life savings in preference shares which turned out to be worthless. Then the fiasco of the Bankia share flotation... many customers invested in shares based on false information and lost their shirts. Then the 'tarjetas negras' ( tax free illegal payments to bosses ).

I recommend the use of a twenty-foot bargepole!
I have been with them since 2004 and never had any problems at all.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I have been with them since 2004 and never had any problems at all.

Rosemary
I live in Madrid which is their base and I know many people - clients, ex-clients ( including myself and my wife ) and ex-employees who haven't shared your experience. Excuse the rant but do I do feel strongly about this!

This whole idea of using a passport number, which has a limited life, indicates something.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Rosemary I have been with Bankia for many years & had no problems.They do tend to pester you though if you have other savings other than a current account wanting to advise you how better to invest.I always just ignore this.