Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Old May 17th 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Originally Posted by macgirl
Here in the Alicante area there are many people who prefer to stay alone (not only Brits).
The Spanish are no different, try reading forolondres, it's full of Spanish working in London seeking "quedadas", they want to mix with their own, nothing wrong with that. I don't integrate as such because I don't live in Spain, but we are just coming to the end of a stay here, and as usual have been overwhelmed by the generosity of Spanish friends. In Ronda, a rural hotel we have stayed in many times, the owners gave me a signed book of the area (expensive!) and because they know I like albariño, a bottle that they sell for €18. In our present accommodation, the kids have just been up and given my wife some jewellery which looks like it cost more than a few euros. Throw in the free meals, tapas, reduced rentals etc, and it's safe to say, we get on OK with them. In exchange, I have photographed their properties, and never charge them, so it's a win win situation for all of us.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:42 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
How much more integrated can you be when you have been told that you are part of the Lolin and Fedrico family?????????

Rosemary
Worth more than any money.

Why didn´t I just say that to you being as you are only 2 metres away.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; May 17th 2011 at 9:02 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:44 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been a believer in being yourself, no matter where you are, cherry pick the best of all around, which is very easy to do in certain parts of Spain.
Well said! If the system allows me, i'll send you some karma.

I generally preferred the Spanish bars in Madrid when out at night, not least because there were free tapas early on, and also the later-opening bars would sometimes "invite" you to another drink once they recognised you. It helped a lot in practising the language too. However I would often pop in the Irish pub on a Saturday if a decent Premiership game was being played, for the banter and to catch up on gossip from home.
Old May 17th 2011, 8:44 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Worth more than any money.

Why didn´t I just say that too you being as you are only 2 metres away.

Graham
Are you both on different computers?
Old May 17th 2011, 8:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
pork pie
Please do not use these two words, at the moment I could kill for one.
The answer to the above is yes.

Graham
Old May 17th 2011, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Watching the thousands of Madrillians on holiday in Cullera rather a lot of them eat paella at night, in fact the seafront restaurants are awash with paella of every sort. Maybe it is just a holiday thing with the Spanish and they will not admit it when they return home.
Just picture the scene back in Madrid, hubby to missus,"tell them about the drunken orgies, the wacky baccy, midnight skinny dipping but for gawds sake don´t mention the paellas.

Graham
Wow! How touchy!

Are we playing tennis?

Of course, there are madrileños who should stay at home and not go on vacation. (And brits...) I hate when they come to the beach every summer and leave rubbish everywhere in the sand, and act as if they were the royal family...
Old May 17th 2011, 8:58 pm

Wow! How touchy!

Are we playing tennis?

Of course, there are madrileños who should stay at home and not go on vacation. (And brits...) I hate when they come to the beach every summer and leave rubbish everywhere in the sand, and act as if they were the royal family...
Oh dear you really did not understand what I was meaning.
It was a bit of fun hence the big grin.

Graham

Last edited by Rosemary; May 17th 2011 at 9:02 pm.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:01 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Here in the Alicante area there are many people who prefer to stay alone (not only Brits). And also people who can't understand even if you talk to them in their language. That's why it's so difficult. You find a wall when you try to say something...

Do you speak English?
I know what you mean, I live in the Alicante area too. And thanks for that Youtube link, hilarious.

There was a cashier working in the local Mercadona, English born but who came to Spain at the age of 12 with her parents. She looked English but refused to acknowledge that she spoke English when customers asked her something in her native language.

That's integration gone wrong, and I've seen it more than once. The balance can be difficult to achieve. My wife is an interpreter, London born but has lived most of her life in Spain, and with Spanish people, before we met.

Spanish people accept her as Spanish and so do the Brits. Sometimes she gets confused and swears at me in Spanish, and when she has nightmares, it's in Spanish.

I only start to worry when she calls me Joan, albeit in Catalan.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Nobody should get wound up by someone (the OP) quoting drivel from a presentation at a Housing and Cohesion Conference 3 years ago by someone called Anya Ahmed.

Why not mention the next presentation entitled Can Mixed Neighbourhoods Be Cohesive?

The whole thing smacks of flaming.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:05 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! How touchy!

Are we playing tennis?

The post you are referring to was tongue in cheek.

It was saying, that the husband and wife did lots of weird things, but the worst one was eating paella at a late hour, and not to mention it to the neighbours.

The British sense of humour is very sharp and a lot is based on irony, stick around and you will get used to it.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well said! If the system allows me, i'll send you some karma.

I generally preferred the Spanish bars in Madrid when out at night, not least because there were free tapas early on, and also the later-opening bars would sometimes "invite" you to another drink once they recognised you. It helped a lot in practising the language too. However I would often pop in the Irish pub on a Saturday if a decent Premiership game was being played, for the banter and to catch up on gossip from home.
Tapas should always be free! In Madrid, you get tapas with every "caña". Also in Ronda!
Unfortunately, many Spanish customs are disappearing, specially here in the coast....... where they even serve paella at night!!!
Old May 17th 2011, 9:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I know what you mean, I live in the Alicante area too. And thanks for that Youtube link, hilarious.

There was a cashier working in the local Mercadona, English born but who came to Spain at the age of 12 with her parents. She looked English but refused to acknowledge that she spoke English when customers asked her something in her native language.

That's integration gone wrong, and I've seen it more than once. The balance can be difficult to achieve. My wife is an interpreter, London born but has lived most of her life in Spain, and with Spanish people, before we met.

Spanish people accept her as Spanish and so do the Brits. Sometimes she gets confused and swears at me in Spanish, and when she has nightmares, it's in Spanish.

I only start to worry when she calls me Joan, albeit in Catalan.
Are you sure? that sounds like a very feeble excuse to me.

Do you want to share something with us?
Old May 17th 2011, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Oh dear you really did not understand what I was meaning.
It was a bit of fun hence the big grin.

Graham
Thanks!
So the one touchy was me!
Old May 17th 2011, 9:13 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

That's integration gone wrong, and I've seen it more than once.
Yup - here we have a couple - she's English and he's Spanish and they have three young daughters. She refuses to teach them any English. That's just wrong.
Old May 17th 2011, 9:15 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you sure? that sounds like a very feeble excuse to me.

Do you want to share something with us?
I can't, technology hasn't advanced that far. But if you've got some DYC in your house and put some coke in it, it's as good as shared.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.