Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

"British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Old May 19th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "British people don’t integrate very well into host society"

Originally Posted by jimenato
The reason we don't do anything Spanish is because the other 27 bar/restaurants in our pueblo all do. There would be just no point in us doing it. Some are noticeably better than others but they all offer basically similar food.

As to the British being conservative in their tastes, I think that on the contrary British tastes are fairly cosmopolitan - it's a result if Britain being such a diverse society. A chap came in the other day and looked at our menu board and said that it was just like a typical British pub menu.

This is our menu:

Starters
Soup of the day with roll and butter
Chicken liver pate with red onion marmalade
Prawn cocktail
Vegetable samosas with cucumber raita
Sheek kebab with cucumber raita
Deep fried Brie wedges

Main Courses
Pork fillet or Chicken breast 'Oba' - in cream and mushroom
sauce with fresh vegetables and saute potatoes
Chicken curry served with basmati rice, Bombay aloo and dhal
Moussaka with salad
Lasagne with salad
Aubergine and potato moussaka with salad
Butternut squash and goats cheese lasagne with salad
Chilli con carne served with rice
Vegetarian chilli served with rice
Beef Burger with fries, salad and coleslaw
Thai tuna fishcakes with fries and salad or couscous salad

Extras
Fries, fresh vegetables, mixed salad, garlic bread, paratha

To my eye that's fairly international and as he said it's what you might find in any reasonable British pub. It's quite small because what JFLS said is true - any bigger becomes unmanageable. I have been to restaurants which try to do everything and they tend to fail for me - mass produced burgers, pies and fish and chips are just not the same as home made and that's the only way it can be done with a huge menu choice.

ETA Everything is prepared in house from fresh ingredients

ETA2 I hope that isn't seen as advertising - I'm just trying to illustrate a point
I wish we lived near your restaurant! We would certainly become regular customers, your menu is far removed from the typical set-up I was describing and it's great to see more than one vegetarian option on offer which are more interesting than the usual vegetarian lasagne or tastless mushroom stroganoff.

I avoid any restaurant with a very long menu - it's always a sign that they use mainly frozen, pre-prepared meals and the microwave will be working overtime. My ideal is a bistro type restaurant with no more than 6 choices for each course, with a menu that changes weekly, ideally, depending on what is in season. We have one quite close to us which does a good menu del dia for 8.45€ (drink not included) which has a different menu every week, 3 choices of each course, one of which is always vegetarian (my OH is veggie and finds eating out in Spain very limiting). However, that is the only such establishment I know of within about 20km - and I live in a big town not a village. The guy who set it up was Belgian, he has now moved on but still has a financial interest in it, the new chef is a young Spaniard, not quite as good but has improved in the 2 years or so he has been there.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
The reason we don't do anything Spanish is because the other 27 bar/restaurants in our pueblo all do. There would be just no point in us doing it. Some are noticeably better than others but they all offer basically similar food.

As to the British being conservative in their tastes, I think that on the contrary British tastes are fairly cosmopolitan - it's a result if Britain being such a diverse society. A chap came in the other day and looked at our menu board and said that it was just like a typical British pub menu.

This is our menu:

Starters
Soup of the day with roll and butter
Chicken liver pate with red onion marmalade
Prawn cocktail
Vegetable samosas with cucumber raita
Sheek kebab with cucumber raita
Deep fried Brie wedges

Main Courses
Pork fillet or Chicken breast 'Oba' - in cream and mushroom
sauce with fresh vegetables and saute potatoes
Chicken curry served with basmati rice, Bombay aloo and dhal
Moussaka with salad
Lasagne with salad
Aubergine and potato moussaka with salad
Butternut squash and goats cheese lasagne with salad
Chilli con carne served with rice
Vegetarian chilli served with rice
Beef Burger with fries, salad and coleslaw
Thai tuna fishcakes with fries and salad or couscous salad

Extras
Fries, fresh vegetables, mixed salad, garlic bread, paratha

To my eye that's fairly international and as he said it's what you might find in any reasonable British pub. It's quite small because what JFLS said is true - any bigger becomes unmanageable. I have been to restaurants which try to do everything and they tend to fail for me - mass produced burgers, pies and fish and chips are just not the same as home made and that's the only way it can be done with a huge menu choice.

ETA Everything is prepared in house from fresh ingredients

ETA2 I hope that isn't seen as advertising - I'm just trying to illustrate a point

Velly,velly tasty,

How can you fix all that and still find time to post so much, or does 'er indoors do all the graft, while you lord it ?
Old May 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Velly,velly tasty,

How can you fix all that and still find time to post so much, or does 'er indoors do all the graft, while you lord it ?
And why not????????

Old May 19th 2011, 9:58 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Velly,velly tasty,

Old May 24th 2011, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
We never needed to, we always conquered where we went, why integrate when you can simply rule over people?
Having seen the no of pages ..this may be a little premature..I don´t have the energy to plod thru´them all to see if anyone has checked the ´bould´ rugby matt on this one. I´m only hoping that someone has...lead on etc.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:23 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dairymaid
Having seen the no of pages ..this may be a little premature..I don´t have the energy to plod thru´them all to see if anyone has checked the ´bould´ rugby matt on this one. I´m only hoping that someone has...lead on etc.
Welcome back.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:31 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back.
Morning Matt, just noticed only 2 to go to the big 40, are you havin a party?
Old May 24th 2011, 6:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Morning Matt, just noticed only 2 to go to the big 40, are you havin a party?
I know, although its a little strange.... its gone back to 88 now! I can't figure that out at all!

I wonder who we should invite to the party?
Old May 24th 2011, 6:40 am
Banned

I know, although its a little strange.... its gone back to 88 now! I can't figure that out at all!

I wonder who we should invite to the party?
I must be losing the plot, I thought you only had 2 to go.

I think it would be easier to have the univited list, rather than invited, a lot less work for you.
Old May 24th 2011, 6:44 am
Straw Man.

I must be losing the plot, I thought you only had 2 to go.

I think it would be easier to have the univited list, rather than invited, a lot less work for you.
I did, it does that all the time, I'm pretty sure I was about to click to 40 about a month ago then all of a sudden it went back a couple of hundred.... I think they are trying to mess with our heads!
Old May 24th 2011, 6:47 am
Banned

I did, it does that all the time, I'm pretty sure I was about to click to 40 about a month ago then all of a sudden it went back a couple of hundred.... I think they are trying to mess with our heads!
Could it be part of a greater plot????
Old May 24th 2011, 6:56 am
Straw Man.

Could it be part of a greater plot????
You mean to keep me here? I hope not!
Old May 24th 2011, 7:04 am
Banned

You mean to keep me here? I hope not!
So what happens when you are 40 then, are you kicked of with an "account closed" message?
Or do you get a nice little cheque in the post?
Old May 24th 2011, 7:08 am
Straw Man.

So what happens when you are 40 then, are you kicked of with an "account closed" message?
Or do you get a nice little cheque in the post?
Pffft! Ha! Thats a joke! I mean they won't even make me a Super Mod, not even a Mod! They say they are picky about who becomes one but I very much doubt that, I mean they made Mitzy one!