British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   British Govt minister makes statement on voting rights push ahead of debate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/british-govt-minister-makes-statement-voting-rights-push-ahead-debate-909687/)

Hornets_Nest Feb 25th 2018 10:28 am

British Govt minister makes statement on voting rights push ahead of debate

Good News - too late for the Brexit referendum though

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...ign=ewn-alerts

Fredbargate Feb 25th 2018 10:51 am

Re: British Govt minister makes statement on voting rights push ahead of debate

The Overseas Electors Bill will end the 15 year limit on people from Britain who now live abroad casting a ballot in the country’s elections if Parliament approves it.

Hornets_Nest do you interpret that as also in referendums?

Useful should there unfortunately be a second referendum on EU membership I will be able to vote OUT twice. :rofl:

rspltd Feb 25th 2018 11:04 am

One of the issues seems to be that this will include British citizens who live abroad and not just people from Britain who now live abroad. It may seem a subtlety but the bill could apply to people who have gained British citizenship and have now returned to their own country and will have a say in another country's affairs or does that sound too much like the EU? The equivalent I suppose of people who have gained Spanish citizenship , having returned to Britain being able to vote in Spanish elections. Hmmmm!

BritInParis Feb 25th 2018 11:11 am

The bill only mentions parliamentary elections but since referendums are legislated for separately I would be surprised if any future referendum act would differentiate between UK and overseas electors given that the Brexit referendum did not.

BritInParis Feb 25th 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by rspltd (Post 12450468)
One of the issues seems to be that this will include British citizens who live abroad and not just people from Britain who now live abroad. It may seem a subtlety but the bill could apply to people who have gained British citizenship and have now returned to their own country and will have a say in another country's affairs or does that sound too much like the EU? The equivalent I suppose of people who have gained Spanish citizenship , having returned to Britain being able to vote in Spanish elections. Hmmmm!

Define 'from Britain' - not everyone who is born in the UK is a British citizen but many are born overseas to British parents who are British from birth.

Pollyana Feb 25th 2018 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rspltd (Post 12450468)

Many of us who live abroad wish and intend to return to the UK at some point. To retain voting rights, a place on the electoral role, and an interest n UK politics and events is of importance to us in the long run.
No doubt the same is true of many Spaniards who reside in the UK?

rspltd Feb 25th 2018 6:38 pm

Define 'from Britain' - I was quoting Fred.

amideislas Feb 25th 2018 8:11 pm

Spain does not allow dual citizenship.

Besides, after living outside the bubble, why would anyone want to return to Blighty?

BritInParis Feb 25th 2018 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by rspltd (Post 12450743)
Define 'from Britain' - I was quoting Fred.

Fred was quoting the article and I was quoting you.

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12450778)
Spain does not allow dual citizenship.

De jure but not de facto.