Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British expat denied return to Spain

British expat denied return to Spain

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat denied return to Spain

Originally Posted by DLC
Why does the British embassy persist in giving this advice? It's flat out wrong.
Hi DLC just out of interest (to me, not directly affected) please explain why it is wrong.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 4:25 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

This is what the Spanish embassy in the UK says about travelling to Spain from the UK:

Los documentos siguientes pueden ser presentados como prueba de residencia en España, siempre que sean acompañados de un pasaporte válido en vigor:
  • tarjeta TIE en vigor
  • certificado de registro de ciudadanos de la Unión Europea
Los ciudadanos británicos que deban perentoriamente viajar a España por razones de emergencia deben contactar con sus autoridades. Puede encontrar los datos de contacto en este enlace.

La normativa actualmente vigente NO prevé excepciones, por lo que este Consulado General no puede exceptuar la aplicación de esta normativa. Por ello, NO SE ATENDERÁN LAS SOLICITUDES DE EXPEDICIÓN DE AUTORIZACIONES DE VIAJE O CERTIFICADOS en ese sentido.
So Spain only accept a TIE, a green certificate, or if you're family of a British citizen in Spain and it's an emergency and travel must be arranged with the British government.

Resguardos were accepted but only between the 4th and 10th of January. Link

So the British government are just messing people about when they say people should rock up with "other documentation that shows you were resident in Spain prior to the end of the transition period".

Last edited by DLC; Jan 23rd 2021 at 4:29 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I never had much faith in waving an Iberdrola bill around.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem for some ( newbies) is they think NIE is the same as TIE due to how the two look on paper. Some people are saying that they showed their papers which were in fact letters with NIE numbers and not TIE card. One means number ( numero) the other card ( tarjeta).
Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:50 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think the problem for some is they think .....
they are in an English province in the sun.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I think the problem for some ( newbies) is they think NIE is the same as TIE due to how the two look on paper. Some people are saying that they showed their papers which were in fact letters with NIE numbers and not TIE card. One means number ( numero) the other card ( tarjeta).
Its not just newbies. I had a conversation with a neighbour of ours last week and she only has a white NIE paper. I tried to explain that this was not residency but she insisted that it was, as the spanish speaking english friend of hers who went with her to the notary when she arrived in 2016 says so.
I checked and she has the same bit of paper I have with no date on it.
I suppose because she can prove she was here then a TIE will be no problem, and she has never filled in tax return here, still has her pension paid into a UK bank, transfers over just enough to pay her Spanish bills and I think she may still be registered with a UK doctor from something she said to my wife the other day.

Go figure eh?
Old Jan 24th 2021, 1:27 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
Its not just newbies. I had a conversation with a neighbour of ours last week and she only has a white NIE paper. I tried to explain that this was not residency but she insisted that it was, as the spanish speaking english friend of hers who went with her to the notary when she arrived in 2016 says so.
I checked and she has the same bit of paper I have with no date on it.
I suppose because she can prove she was here then a TIE will be no problem, and she has never filled in tax return here, still has her pension paid into a UK bank, transfers over just enough to pay her Spanish bills and I think she may still be registered with a UK doctor from something she said to my wife the other day.

Go figure eh?
They walk among us
Old Jan 30th 2021, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
One of our customers tried to fly back to malaga with a 'residencia applied for' paperwork.

As expected, he was denied the flight and has to stay in the uk.

Liverpool john lennon airport, ryanair, yesterday sunday 17th of january.
after a couple of days he flew to dublin, then into malaga. He collected his car without issue. Just shows that the airport staff are not really doing their job properly.
Old Jan 30th 2021, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
So Spain only accept a TIE, a green certificate, or if you're family of a British citizen in Spain and it's an emergency and travel must be arranged with the British government.
Your summary is incorrect.

Here's a translation: (my bold)

The suspension of all entry into Spanish territory of citizens from the United Kingdom, except for Spanish and Andorran nationals or residents in our country, has been extended until 18:00 hours on 16 FEBRUARY. Border controls in Gibraltar are also reinforced. More information BOE-A-2021-592.pdf extension limitation of UK flights.pdf can be found here.

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...uelos%20UK.pdf

The following documents can be presented as proof of residence in Spain, provided they are accompanied by a valid passport:
Valid TIE card
European Union citizens registration certificate
More information can be found at this link.

https://www.inclusion.gob.es/fichero...ertificate.pdf

British citizens who peremptorily need to travel to Spain for emergency reasons should contact their authorities. You can find their contact details at this link.

The regulations currently in force do NOT provide for exceptions, so this Consulate General cannot make exceptions to the application of these regulations. Therefore, NO REQUESTS FOR THE ISSUANCE OF TRAVEL AUTHORISATIONS OR CERTIFICATES in this regard WILL BE CARRIED OUT.

Old Jan 31st 2021, 3:38 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Can't really see difference between the wall of text and my summary apart from me misreading perentoriamente. If you don't have what they want to see, you're not getting in.
Old Feb 3rd 2021, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Yorick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Believe it or not there are still people out there who have not heard of the TIE, or the imperitive to become legally resident, or that they now face having to take a Spanish driving test.

My only sentiment toward them will be one of schadenfreude!
The TIE won't be available here until at least June.
Old Feb 4th 2021, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Really?

The process would appear to be identical to the mainland including timescale.

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts...ntity-Card#ath

https://lanzaroteinformation.co.uk/a...cia-lanzarote/

https://lanzaroteinformation.co.uk/e...encia-for-tie/