Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British driving license for motorbike

British driving license for motorbike

Old May 3rd 2010, 2:13 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British driving license for motorbike

No CBT or licence and presumably no experience either?

You want to ride a motorcycle in Spain = do you have a death wish?
Old May 3rd 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by ballin
I heard the same thing, Guardia don't seem to know that law though when you produce a UK license!
A spanish one yes, but UK license = special rules!

Mate could probably have tried to fight it, but that would have been a battle and a half im sure.
What about printing off a copy of the relevant law, and keeping with the license, would that help ? The Gaurdia will then at least have to look into the rules then !
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by savateur
What about printing off a copy of the relevant law, and keeping with the license, would that help ? The Gaurdia will then at least have to look into the rules then !
Not a good idea to tell them how to do their job.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if the OP is resident in Spain, but if so it just reinforces the point that, if resident, then the only hassle free option is to get a Spanish licence.

Relatively expensive but then you get no problems with the Guardia.
Old May 4th 2010, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

True, that would be my advice for sure, otherwise it's hit and miss if you are going to get fined and they love picking on the 125s it seems!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

My mate did just that and got a big fine from the Guardia, your UK license does not entitle you to ride a bike in UK, so it does not in Spain was there reasoning.
Pretty obvious I would have thought
Old May 4th 2010, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I don't know if the OP is resident in Spain, but if so it just reinforces the point that, if resident, then the only hassle free option is to get a Spanish licence.
Relatively expensive but then you get no problems with the Guardia.
Thats a contradiction

In the unlikley event of you speaking and reading perfect Spanish do you test in the UK.
Old May 4th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

Originally Posted by matlab
I have the standard UK licence for cars, and have had it for over 4 years. I have not done my CBT in england.

I would be fine riding a 125cc motorbike.
If your not in Spain yet, why not save yourself the aggaravation, and do your full bike license in the UK before going ?

After all, if your interested in 'bike's, your unlikely to be satisfied with a little 125cc for long !
Old May 4th 2010, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

matlab is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard the same thing, Guardia don't seem to know that law though when you produce a UK license!
A spanish one yes, but UK license = special rules!

Mate could probably have tried to fight it, but that would have been a battle and a half im sure.
Thanks for the info guys
Old May 5th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a UK licence for a car (class B or higher), and have held it for 3 years, then you CAN drive a motorcycle up to 125cc (class A1) in Spain.

You do not need to have the A1 class on your licence to do this.

It is a special rule that applies in Spain.

From the relevant law:-

Las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1.
Fred,
Assuming the above and you can then legally ride a 125 in Spain on a UK licence, if you change your licence to a Spanish one then do you get the 125 enitlement on your Spanish licence as well?
Old May 5th 2010, 8:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Fred,
Assuming the above and you can then legally ride a 125 in Spain on a UK licence, if you change your licence to a Spanish one then do you get the 125 enitlement on your Spanish licence as well?
The entitlement to ride a class A1 on the basis of Class B is not shown on a Spanish licence - it is an assumed right if you have a 3 year old Class B entitlement on the licence.

The only way you will ever get A1 shown on your licence is to pass a test. If you have a Spanish licence with A1 you can ride a 125 outside Spain. If you only have Class B then you cannot ride a 125cc outside Spain (unless that country had similar rules to Spain)
Old May 5th 2010, 10:22 am
Just Joined

matlab is an unknown quantity at this point

The entitlement to ride a class A1 on the basis of Class B is not shown on a Spanish licence - it is an assumed right if you have a 3 year old Class B entitlement on the licence.

The only way you will ever get A1 shown on your licence is to pass a test. If you have a Spanish licence with A1 you can ride a 125 outside Spain. If you only have Class B then you cannot ride a 125cc outside Spain (unless that country had similar rules to Spain)
I would have done my test in england but im due to hand my dissertation in on friday, and im leaving on sunday for spain, its been a busy few weeks for me and i have not had time to do it.

I will get a spanish liscene when i arrive in spain.

And no i dont have a death wish. were all going to die sometime, and the best way to get experience is to do the activity! I had never riden a motorbike untill i was in Thailand last summer and im still alive now

Thanks
Old May 5th 2010, 11:42 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matlab
And no i dont have a death wish. were all going to die sometime, and the best way to get experience is to do the activity! I had never riden a motorbike untill i was in Thailand last summer and im still alive now Thanks
My comment was well intended. You may think you know how to ride and don't need any training, .... to stay safe you need to be able to think not only about your capability but be observant enough to look out for others. Even for those of us with a license and advanced training and qualification motorcycles are dangerous. Be lucky

Last edited by missile; May 5th 2010 at 11:45 am.