British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   British Consulate to hold first ever evening Road Show in Andalucia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/british-consulate-hold-first-ever-evening-road-show-andalucia-708862/)

DWPinSpain Mar 11th 2011 7:42 am

British Consulate to hold first ever evening Road Show in Andalucia

The British Consulate is holding the first ever evening ‘Road Show’ in Andalucia. The event will take place in Benalmádena, Málaga, and will offer advice on issues relating to British people living and working in Spain.

Customers who work or who have other daytime commitments may have been unable to attend previous open day events held in the area. For this reason, the Benalmádena event will start at 7pm and will provide an opportunity to speak to Consular and the Pension, Benefit and Healthcare staff outside normal working hours.

During the presentation, information will be provided on the services offered by the Consulate, how working in Spain will help you build your entitlement to a pension and where to apply for an European Health Insurance Card.

The Pension, Benefit and Healthcare Team will provide essential information about what can be claimed in Spain, what help is available from the UK and the services that the team can offer. One-to-one appointments can be pre-booked using the UKinSpain website.

The event will take place on Monday 21st March 2011 at 7pm at the Casa de la Cultura, Plaza de Austria s/n, Arroyo de la Miel. If you are travelling in by car, please arrive early to allow plenty of time for parking.

To book a place online, please visit www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/opendays. If you experience any problems booking or do not have Internet access, call 917146443.

EsuriJohn Mar 11th 2011 9:09 am

Re: British Consulate to hold first ever evening Road Show in Andalucia

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain (Post 9232277)
The British Consulate is holding the first ever evening ‘Road Show’ in Andalucia. The event will take place in Benalmádena, Málaga, and will offer advice on issues relating to British people living and working in Spain.

Customers who work or who have other daytime commitments may have been unable to attend previous open day events held in the area. For this reason, the Benalmádena event will start at 7pm and will provide an opportunity to speak to Consular and the Pension, Benefit and Healthcare staff outside normal working hours.

During the presentation, information will be provided on the services offered by the Consulate, how working in Spain will help you build your entitlement to a pension and where to apply for an European Health Insurance Card.

The Pension, Benefit and Healthcare Team will provide essential information about what can be claimed in Spain, what help is available from the UK and the services that the team can offer. One-to-one appointments can be pre-booked using the UKinSpain website.

The event will take place on Monday 21st March 2011 at 7pm at the Casa de la Cultura, Plaza de Austria s/n, Arroyo de la Miel. If you are travelling in by car, please arrive early to allow plenty of time for parking.

To book a place online, please visit www.ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/opendays. If you experience any problems booking or do not have Internet access, call 917146443.

I ask again when are you going to bring one of these events (day or evening) west of Sevilla onto the Cost del la Luz.

paulntania Mar 16th 2011 8:49 pm

hi there, can you please tell me when the next meeting will be held as im moving out to spain around the 16th of april to this area. thankyou

UKinSpain Mar 17th 2011 1:29 pm

Paulntania - you can always check on details for forthcoming Open Day events on the UkinSpain website:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...fits/open-day/

or if you have a question you can always check the "Living in Spain" section of the UKinSpain website.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ving-in-spain/

UKinSpain

EsuriJohn Mar 17th 2011 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by UKinSpain (Post 9246055)
Paulntania - you can always check on details for forthcoming Open Day events on the UkinSpain website:

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...fits/open-day/

or if you have a question you can always check the "Living in Spain" section of the UKinSpain website.

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-...ving-in-spain/

UKinSpain

Fine but still can't see anything west of Malaga. When do we get a turn. Ayamonte is as far west as you can go and the Algarve is nearer but thet is Portugal so no good to us.

JulianWard Mar 18th 2011 11:40 am

I have attended three such presentations.

At the first one to be held, it was at Calahonda, Mijas Costa, the consul was late as he took the wrong turning on the motorway.

After the presentation, the Consul took questions from the floor. I was sitting at the very front. The consul was, as I remember, unable to answer any of the questions adequately, and on several occasions passed the microphone to me to answer. Others in the audience also assisted by answering questions which the consul could not answer.

At the second presentation at Fuengirola, the consul was still unable to answer most of the questions, which were asked from the floor.

At subsequent presentations the consul refused to take questions from the floor. Previously submitted questions were answered after the meeting at tables set up for the purpose, but only on a one to one basis. Thus many who may have benefited from hearing all the questions were denied the opportunity.

It is only my opinion, but I believe the presentations are of little value. Much of what is said amounts to a list of, 'We cannot do, this or that' or 'We are not travel agents, not banks, not almost anything ... '

jdr Mar 18th 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JulianWard (Post 9248153)
I have attended three such presentations.

At the first one to be held, it was at Calahonda, Mijas Costa, the consul was late as he took the wrong turning on the motorway.

After the presentation, the Consul took questions from the floor. I was sitting at the very front. The consul was, as I remember, unable to answer any of the questions adequately, and on several occasions passed the microphone to me to answer. Others in the audience also assisted by answering questions which the consul could not answer.

At the second presentation at Fuengirola, the consul was still unable to answer most of the questions, which were asked from the floor.

At subsequent presentations the consul refused to take questions from the floor. Previously submitted questions were answered after the meeting at tables set up for the purpose, but only on a one to one basis. Thus many who may have benefited from hearing all the questions were denied the opportunity.

It is only my opinion, but I believe the presentations are of little value. Much of what is said amounts to a list of, 'We cannot do, this or that' or 'We are not travel agents, not banks, not almost anything ... '

If you alledgedly know all the answers that the main man doesn`t, then why don`t you ask for a job with them at the road shows ?
Maybe everyone will benefit then ?
A couple of questions for you to answer as a test. ;);)
(1) Why did I lose my last 5 years insurance stamp credits towards my pension because I left the UK at 60, despite still being in the EU in Spain ?
Apparently if I had retired early and stayed in the UK I would of got them and now been on a full pension.
(2) Now the years needed have been reduced by about 15, why don`t I qualify for a full pension and a bit over the top for the extra 10 years stamps I have paid ?

JulianWard Mar 18th 2011 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9248224)
If you alledgedly know all the answers that the main man doesn`t, then why don`t you ask for a job with them at the road shows ?
Maybe everyone will benefit then ?
A couple of questions for you to answer as a test. ;);)
(1) Why did I lose my last 5 years insurance stamp credits towards my pension because I left the UK at 60, despite still being in the EU in Spain ?
Apparently if I had retired early and stayed in the UK I would of got them and now been on a full pension.
(2) Now the years needed have been reduced by about 15, why don`t I qualify for a full pension and a bit over the top for the extra 10 years stamps I have paid ?

1. Great suggestion, but I don't want or need a job.

2. RE your 'test.'

Just like when you share your valuable experience and knowledge, I was not claiming that I knew all the answers (even in the presentation I said others on the floor answered questions ) I was indicating that the Consul had given up permitting questions from the floor as he was 'embarrassed' by his lack of knowledge, and from my experience the presentations were a waste of time and money.

One of the things I did ask was why a British Passport cost so much when a Spanish one costs 20 euros. He gave the same limp answer that they had to be self financing

(Incidentally I shall not be paying the UK exorbitant price to renew my passport or other consular services as I 'discovered' that as my mother was born in the North of Ireland I was considered by Eire as being Irish. Being over 65, I applied for, and now have my free Irish passport During the course of doing that I had several calls back and forth with real people, who gave their names, in the Irish Embassy, on 'normal telephone lines (thus free for me).

As for your very specific questions re your pension position:- I am sure you know where you can usefully ask, however should you not, maybe this will be of some help:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_180132

jdr Mar 18th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by JulianWard (Post 9248260)
1. Great suggestion, but I don't want or need a job.

2. RE your 'test.'

Just like when you share your valuable experience and knowledge, I was not claiming that I knew all the answers (even in the presentation I said others on the floor answered questions ) I was indicating that the Consul had given up permitting questions from the floor as he was 'embarrassed' by his lack of knowledge, and from my experience the presentations were a waste of time and money.

One of the things I did ask was why a British Passport cost so much when a Spanish one costs 20 euros. He gave the same limp answer that they had to be self financing

(Incidentally I shall not be paying the UK exorbitant price to renew my passport or other consular services as I 'discovered' that as my mother was born in the North of Ireland I was considered by Eire as being Irish. Being over 65, I applied for, and now have my free Irish passport During the course of doing that I had several calls back and forth with real people, who gave their names, in the Irish Embassy, on 'normal telephone lines (thus free for me).

As for your very specific questions re your pension position:- I am sure you know where you can usefully ask, however should you not, maybe this will be of some help:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...sion/DG_180132

Thanks but I know where and I have asked a few times, maybe i spoke to the main man and his family cos no one could give me an answer, so I thought maybe you knew the answer. ;);)