Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 8th 2021, 2:23 pm
  #91  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: Alicante
Posts: 924
Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
People in spain dont do that.. they earn €1000 and spend €1200 every month so its no wonder that peopel are struggling...
Have you some verifiable evidence for that or is it just random meaningless tittle tattle?
Notdunroamin is offline  
Old May 8th 2021, 2:26 pm
  #92  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
I´ve always been told by my old man, about 20% of my wages, wether its cash or transfer should be saved. For every €100 .. at least €20 should be in a piggybank or jar or envelope in the cupboard... People in spain dont do that.. they earn €1000 and spend €1200 every month so its no wonder that peopel are struggling...
I think the problem is they actually need €1400 to get by .
Rotor is offline  
Old May 8th 2021, 5:33 pm
  #93  
DLC
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,152
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
People in spain dont do that.. they earn €1000 and spend €1200 every month
I take it you've not heard the one about how copper wire was invented - a Catalan and a Sorian both pulling on a peseta.
DLC is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 2:50 pm
  #94  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cartama, Malaga
Posts: 1,168
bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Have you some verifiable evidence for that or is it just random meaningless tittle tattle?
all the people i´ve ever worked with are skint 3 days after pay day.

I suppose its probably a small percentage of the population of spain, but hey, thats evidence, isn´t it ?

Sorry, I wont offer an opinion if it offends.
bfg69bug is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 2:53 pm
  #95  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
all the people i´ve ever worked with are skint 3 days after pay day.

I suppose its probably a small percentage of the population of spain, but hey, thats evidence, isn´t it ?

Sorry, I wont offer an opinion if it offends.
When I spoke to a few tradesmen a few years ago the wage seemed almost standard what ever you did , plumber, welder , electrician , mechanic , 1500.00 Euro`s p.m.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:02 pm
  #96  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cartama, Malaga
Posts: 1,168
bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

The standard minimum wage in Spain as of January 1st 2020 was raised to 1108 euros (12 payments) or 949,71 euros (14 payments).

Its far from €1500 / month for an employed person. I´ve worked in my company for 10 years and dont even make minimum wage. But then thats fine for me, we dont spend all our money each month.

The "skilled" tradesmen I would imagine would be on a higher wage.

The amount of money that the government are asking for when someone applies for a NLV (non-lucrative visa), ie a pensioner / someone who has money and doesnt work is more than double the minimum wage of Spain - it doesn´t really make any sense.

Last edited by bfg69bug; May 9th 2021 at 3:05 pm.
bfg69bug is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:02 pm
  #97  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor
When I spoke to a few tradesmen a few years ago the wage seemed almost standard what ever you did , plumber, welder , electrician , mechanic , 1500.00 Euro`s p.m.
peanuts
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:05 pm
  #98  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 660
Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Most people I know who work in office jobs which maybe require languages get about 7 € an hour. It seems pretty standard for average skill jobs ( admin, customer care, financial advise, translation, sales). You have to work at least 37 hours a week with 2hour non paid lunch break which is a long day. My neighbour leaves her flat at 9.00 everyday and gets home 9.00pm. People dont know how easy they have it in UK. Makes me laugh when they talk about having a better lifestyle in Spain. Fine if you dont work and retired. Why do you think Spanish spend do much time trying to pass opisiones? Working for the government is the only relatively okay way you can get a stable fixed livable salary
Chipmonk is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:10 pm
  #99  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 660
Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
The standard minimum wage in Spain as of January 1st 2020 was raised to 1108 euros (12 payments) or 949,71 euros (14 payments).

Its far from €1500 / month for an employed person. I´ve worked in my company for 10 years and dont even make minimum wage. But then thats fine for me, we dont spend all our money each month.

The "skilled" tradesmen I would imagine would be on a higher wage.

The amount of money that the government are asking for when someone applies for a NLV (non-lucrative visa), ie a pensioner / someone who has money and doesnt work is more than double the minimum wage of Spain - it doesn´t really make any sense.

That is because they dont want people who can survive ( like EU requirements) they want individuals who actually will be liable for tax. Every country does that? We have left UK so it is not about not being a burden to the state it's about being wealthy enough to be taxable every year. By being granted NLV you are automatically liable to tax that is why you require an income and not savings!!
Chipmonk is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:20 pm
  #100  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Stingychips
peanuts
Indeed and thats why most families struggle to get by.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:20 pm
  #101  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cartama, Malaga
Posts: 1,168
bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

gotcha - in that sense it makes sense. Shame for all the people that would come here and survive tho, the pensioners who want to live in the sun etc... they cant any more. I suppose if the country is full of rich people that makes it better for the tax man like you say.
bfg69bug is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:26 pm
  #102  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
That is because they dont want people who can survive ( like EU requirements) they want individuals who actually will be liable for tax. Every country does that? We have left UK so it is not about not being a burden to the state it's about being wealthy enough to be taxable every year. By being granted NLV you are automatically liable to tax that is why you require an income and not savings!!
Exactly that , the UK has the same problem with millions of immigrants , they dont earn enough to pay any tax , often quite the opposite ,most unskilled and semi skilled workers with families get family/working tax credits which obviously costs the UK .
Rotor is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:33 pm
  #103  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cartama, Malaga
Posts: 1,168
bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor
Exactly that , the UK has the same problem with millions of immigrants , they dont earn enough to pay any tax , often quite the opposite ,most unskilled and semi skilled workers with families get family/working tax credits which obviously costs the UK .
But people who come to Spain don't get any monetary benefits, so its not quite the same ?
bfg69bug is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:36 pm
  #104  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 660
Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor
Exactly that , the UK has the same problem with millions of immigrants , they dont earn enough to pay any tax , often quite the opposite ,most unskilled and semi skilled workers with families get family/working tax credits which obviously costs the UK .
Actually it is not as simple as that. The immigrants in UK that you have in your sights are EU workers who have settled status and they create worth through the actual action of work. They contribute by working. Their productivity allows the economy to grow. Now that UK has left EU it imposes a 3rd country immigration program which is designed to attract skilled highly qualified workers who will pay tax. It's biggest problem is finding manpower for its agricultural and service industries hence the reason the sector is hassling the government to look at short term work visas to attract foreign workers . The economy needs them to grow. British immigrants to Spain either work in professional roles in Madrid or Barcelona or are retired folk who unless they have higher than average incomes contribute zilch.
Chipmonk is offline  
Old May 9th 2021, 3:48 pm
  #105  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 192
marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Actually it is not as simple as that. The immigrants in UK that you have in your sights are EU workers who have settled status and they create worth through the actual action of work. They contribute by working. Their productivity allows the economy to grow. Now that UK has left EU it imposes a 3rd country immigration program which is designed to attract skilled highly qualified workers who will pay tax. It's biggest problem is finding manpower for its agricultural and service industries hence the reason the sector is hassling the government to look at short term work visas to attract foreign workers . The economy needs them to grow. British immigrants to Spain either work in professional roles in Madrid or Barcelona or are retired folk who unless they have higher than average incomes contribute zilch.
You suggest that persons who have retired and whose income is below the INCOME TAX bracket contribute "Zilch". Never heard of IVA then? And those same guys and gals who struggle to get by on a poor level of income will still aid the economy by spending as much as they need in order to survive!
marcbernard is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.