Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 4th 2021, 6:54 pm
  #61  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer View Post
Hi, you need to add your link using the link button or Ctrl K.
Here you go. Click
Rotor is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:02 pm
  #62  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk View Post
It is no doubt true that the number of British retiring to Spain will reduce in the coming years and that the overall number will drop as older ones return or die. However, full time Brits living and retired in Spain is not as large as you think and they are not vociferous spenders as your own argument is that they dont have alot of wealth. The majority of Brits in Spain are actually working ones scattered around Madrid and Barcelona who rarely appear on this forum being young professionals. Certain areas that are English ghettos might be effected but I doubt the Spanish are worried. There are plenty of Scandanavians buying up stuff at the moment and the Russians love Spain. The English voted to leave, The Sun and Express gleefully mock Europe so as far as I'm concerned if retirement is a caravan park with chips and burgers that's the bed that was made.!!
Agree with that , Spain will see this as an opportunity to get rid of low income / no foreign income immigrants in exchange for a more wealthy lot.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:15 pm
  #63  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 140
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk View Post
It is no doubt true that the number of British retiring to Spain will reduce in the coming years and that the overall number will drop as older ones return or die. However, full time Brits living and retired in Spain is not as large as you think and they are not vociferous spenders as your own argument is that they dont have alot of wealth. The majority of Brits in Spain are actually working ones scattered around Madrid and Barcelona who rarely appear on this forum being young professionals. Certain areas that are English ghettos might be effected but I doubt the Spanish are worried. There are plenty of Scandanavians buying up stuff at the moment and the Russians love Spain. The English voted to leave, The Sun and Express gleefully mock Europe so as far as I'm concerned if retirement is a caravan park with chips and burgers that's the bed that was made.!!
but still even with brexit Brits are the number one buyers on the costas.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:17 pm
  #64  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Stingychips View Post
but still even with brexit Brits are the number one buyers on the costas.
How are they managing that? buying blind from the UK?
Rotor is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:29 pm
  #65  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 140
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
Agree with that , Spain will see this as an opportunity to get rid of low income / no foreign income immigrants in exchange for a more wealthy lot.
They can hope for more wealthy expats but will be a long way behind countries that cater for rich people with low tax laws. I know ibiza was a crown jewel on Spain but that place has been decimated by the virus.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:43 pm
  #66  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 229
bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Fred James View Post
There may well be a campaign in Spain, but it would be the EU that would have to change the Schengen rules with the agreement of all the other Schengen states.
Spain doesn't need to change any Schengen rules to introduce a national long (180 days) visa & despite the detractors I suspect this may happen soon, with Spain & other EU countries....

what's not to like? increased house sales from UK snowbirds, increased holiday spend from holiday home owners, increased airport usage, increased taxes (IVA, non resident, sales tax & the various local taxes). A new Spanish national visa would not affect the Schengen rules and applicants could still use their 90/180 days for the rest of the EU.
bolton wanderer is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 7:45 pm
  #67  
DLC
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 271
DLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really nice
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Stingychips View Post
it’s not Armageddon yet because they have been printing and borrowing money. You want to see how many taxi drivers were outside barcelona airport fighting for custom. They said that the government has barely helped them.The dust is yet to settle. The tourism minister of Spain is desperate to get things moving again. They are even trying to negotiate their own deals with the uk. I was in salou today and looking at all the businesses that were closed. Do you think that is sustainable. The future looks bleak here and this is supposed to be one of Spain’s better off areas. God knows what it’s going to be like down south. And as for enforcing rules. I’d say deporting the idiots that have blatantly overstayed and are causing trouble would be law enforcement rather than a stamp of a passport. I’ve heard a lot to rumours about people being sent home but up to now I’ve seen nothing on the news.
Taxis got help from central government 3-4 weeks ago, and Spain is probably not negotiating with the UK for the reasons you think they are:

Spain warns it will only welcome UK tourists back if Britain reciprocates

I'm also curious as to why you believe the UK has escaped Covid relatively unscathed:

A city on the brink? Birmingham facing ‘disaster’ as unemployment hits levels not seen since Eighties

About Us | Excluded UK

If Britons were as wealthy as you say, the requirements wouldn't make any difference anyway. In the end perhaps the UK isn't that special?
DLC is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 8:06 pm
  #68  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 229
bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
Here you go. Click
I'm sorry but I would rather trust the information from the Spanish immigration authority over the unofficial "blog like" link that you've provided........

I'll copy the official link and relevant quotes for people to judge.....

" Info here.....http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...ges/Visas.aspx is a little out of date but the key wording is " Financial means required to cover the living expenses and, where appropriate, those of their family members, for one year, in accordance with the following amounts: - For the support of the main applicant, monthly, 400 % of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which in 2021 amounts to 564,90 €, being 2.259,6 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency. - For the support of each of the family members in charge, monthly, 100% of the IPREM, which in 2021 amounts to 564,90 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency. The availability of sufficient financial means will be evidenced by the submission of original and stamped documents that verify the perception of a periodic and sufficient income or the holding of an estate that guarantees the perception of that income.. "

The key wording I've highlighted in bold...... The specific key words are "or" and "perception"

Seriously, I did wonder why you started this thread..... Was it to spread fear into the people who are looking to apply after the Brexit cutoff of 31st December? Was it a smug "I'm OK jack" because I was able to forward my application in time? It certainly didn't offer any help or advice for anyone!

The new NLV visa requirements are not unsurmountable and are certainly doable for the vast majority of retired Brits.... What really annoys me is that certain people are a bit upset that it's not as difficult as they would wish.





Last edited by bolton wanderer; May 4th 2021 at 8:10 pm.
bolton wanderer is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 8:07 pm
  #69  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

The British government has looked after British businesses very well financially throughout Covid with the furlough scheme and supporting numerous other businesses , all legitimate retail shops have all received at least £20k in grants in the last 12 months and there has been large unsecured business loans handed out left right and centre , its costing trillions but without this help the state of British business would be looking considerably more bleak.
Britain is leading the way with the vaccine program and will come out of the pandemic before any European country , the treasury says there's billions in the publics savings accounts waiting to be spent , some of that will go on holidays , Spain can not afford to be awkward , its tourist industry in on its last legs .
Rotor is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 8:13 pm
  #70  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 229
bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
The British government has looked after British businesses very well financially throughout Covid with the furlough scheme and supporting numerous other businesses , all legitimate retail shops have all received at least £20k in grants in the last 12 months and there has been large unsecured business loans handed out left right and centre , its costing trillions but without this help the state of British business would be looking considerably more bleak.
Britain is leading the way with the vaccine program and will come out of the pandemic before any European country , the treasury says there's billions in the publics savings accounts waiting to be spent , some of that will go on holidays , Spain can not afford to be awkward , its tourist industry in on its last legs .
WTF....Really?
bolton wanderer is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 8:24 pm
  #71  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer View Post
I'm sorry but I would rather trust the information from the Spanish immigration authority over the unofficial "blog like" link that you've provided........

I'll copy the official link and relevant quotes for people to judge.....

" Info here.....http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...ges/Visas.aspx is a little out of date but the key wording is " Financial means required to cover the living expenses and, where appropriate, those of their family members, for one year, in accordance with the following amounts: - For the support of the main applicant, monthly, 400 % of the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples), which in 2021 amounts to 564,90 €, being 2.259,6 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency. - For the support of each of the family members in charge, monthly, 100% of the IPREM, which in 2021 amounts to 564,90 € or its legal equivalent in foreign currency. The availability of sufficient financial means will be evidenced by the submission of original and stamped documents that verify the perception of a periodic and sufficient income or the holding of an estate that guarantees the perception of that income.. "

The key wording I've highlighted in bold...... The specific key words are "or" and "perception"

Seriously, I did wonder why you started this thread..... Was it to spread fear into the people who are looking to apply after the Brexit cutoff of 31st December? Was it a smug "I'm OK jack" because I was able to forward my application in time? It certainly didn't offer any help or advice for anyone!

The new NLV visa requirements are not unsurmountable and are certainly doable for the vast majority of retired Brits.... What really annoys me is that certain people are a bit upset that it's not as difficult as they would wish.
The word perception is a strange term and almost invites applicants to make up some figures , I dont know anyone who`s actually got a NLV , do you? it will be interesting to see how things pan out, the Spanish consulate`s website in Los Angeles puts it slightly differently but I`m guessing a UK citizen will now be treated the same as a US citizen so relevant.

I started the thread to show the numerous people who come to the forum that things have changed massively and its no longer a case of selling your UK home and buying an airline ticket , there are a lot of hoops to jump through, in the past a large percentage of Brits moving to Spain were not retiree`s but working people who turned up and started small businesses or bought existing ones , this is pretty much finished for Brits.

Last edited by Rotor; May 4th 2021 at 8:38 pm.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 8:58 pm
  #72  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 140
Stingychips is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by DLC View Post
Taxis got help from central government 3-4 weeks ago, and Spain is probably not negotiating with the UK for the reasons you think they are:

Spain warns it will only welcome UK tourists back if Britain reciprocates

I'm also curious as to why you believe the UK has escaped Covid relatively unscathed:

A city on the brink? Birmingham facing ‘disaster’ as unemployment hits levels not seen since Eighties

About Us | Excluded UK

If Britons were as wealthy as you say, the requirements wouldn't make any difference anyway. In the end perhaps the UK isn't that special?
I’m only going off what the taxi driver said. I asked her if she had received help from the government and her words were “ muy poco”. They looked absolutely desperate having to mither the odd person that was in the terminal for work. Since you are on about unemployment have you seen how many young Spanish people are unemployed. Isn’t it one of the worst rates in the whole of Europe. And wages and opportunities are clearly better in the uk that’s why there are so many Spanish there .
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 4th 2021, 9:41 pm
  #73  
DLC
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 271
DLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really niceDLC is just really nice
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
The word perception is a strange term and almost invites applicants to make up some figures
It's been translated badly, it's a false friend from one of the meanings of percepción in Spanish (payment).

It's not a good idea to make up some figures.
DLC is offline  
Old May 5th 2021, 1:20 am
  #74  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2017
Location: Crevillente or thereabouts
Posts: 515
Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer View Post
I'm
The new NLV visa requirements are not unsurmountable and are certainly doable for the vast majority of retired Brits.....
If you honestly believe that then you are woefully out of touch, just to remind you we're talking close on €34k for a couple.

A pair of basic (new) state pensions comes to let's +/- €20k, and with the average UK personal pension pot of £50k (£75k men £25k women) £100k in annuities, which the majority still buy, is never going to deliver €14k/pa.

True surplus cash from the sale of a UK property could make up that gap in some cases but to say that would apply to the 'vast majority of retiring Brits' is completely wrong.
Notdunroamin is offline  
Old May 5th 2021, 6:44 am
  #75  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,127
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin View Post
If you honestly believe that then you are woefully out of touch, just to remind you we're talking close on €34k for a couple.

A pair of basic (new) state pensions comes to let's +/- €20k, and with the average UK personal pension pot of £50k (£75k men £25k women) £100k in annuities, which the majority still buy, is never going to deliver €14k/pa.

True surplus cash from the sale of a UK property could make up that gap in some cases but to say that would apply to the 'vast majority of retiring Brits' is completely wrong.
Also NLV ,s don't appear to have an infinite life so if an applicant were to use capital to "make up the shortfall" it would only be a matter of time before funds run out and visa renewal was not possible, consequently there will only be higher net worth individuals permanently migrating to Spain, which I said earlier is what Spain is fully aware of and no doubt welcomes.
Rotor is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.