Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 3rd 2021, 4:55 pm
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Here’s another thing I’ve been thinking about. I want to come to my house every other weekend and every kids school holiday. Imagine how many stamps that’s going to put in my passport. And imagine how much man power it’s going to take to check it at border control lol. I don’t know anyone that has been refused to drive because they have a uk licence.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:06 pm
  #17  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I am afraid you overestimate the economic clout of the frugally retired Brits. Spain will not bend over over for Brits for licences or other things. The UK voted to leave the EU
The UK actually require English for immigration. Consider if the Spanish government asked for for something reciprocal Unlikely many Brits would be able to meet that condition
!!
how do you know Spain will enforce these rules when they will harm its own citizens. Spain is poor. Post covid it’s even poorer. Spanish people want Brits there regardless of that the Brussels fat cats say. Spain will put its own people first they are not stupid. People are starving. Businesses are folding. If anything you underestimate the economic impact that the cornavirus will have made.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:11 pm
  #18  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,613
bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

[QUOTE=Stingychips;13001903I don’t know anyone that has been refused to drive because they have a uk licence.[/QUOTE]
I would guess that will change should they be stopped by the police also they have declared to insurers that they have a licence. Like most things easier to sleep at night when one complies with the law.
bobd22 is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:27 pm
  #19  
DLC
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,152
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Stingychips
how do you know Spain will enforce these rules when they will harm its own citizens. Spain is poor. Post covid it’s even poorer. Spanish people want Brits there regardless of that the Brussels fat cats say. Spain will put its own people first they are not stupid. People are starving. Businesses are folding. If anything you underestimate the economic impact that the cornavirus will have made.
It's not quite armageddon yet in Spain, and I believe you've just gone through passport control in a different queue and had your passport stamped? They enforced the rules.

If Spain were that desperate for Britons who apparently appear to be travelling with sackloads of money everywhere they travel they wouldn't have done that and would have come up with a non-Schengen 180 day tourist visa by now (and for some it still wouldn't be enough).

By the way, nobody will be refused driving on a UK licence until July at the earliest. But I'm sure that again, the rules will be enforced just as they are with any third country.

Last edited by DLC; May 3rd 2021 at 5:29 pm.
DLC is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:43 pm
  #20  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by DLC
It's not quite armageddon yet in Spain, and I believe you've just gone through passport control in a different queue and had your passport stamped? They enforced the rules.

If Spain were that desperate for Britons who apparently appear to be travelling with sackloads of money everywhere they travel they wouldn't have done that and would have come up with a non-Schengen 180 day tourist visa by now (and for some it still wouldn't be enough).
it’s not Armageddon yet because they have been printing and borrowing money. You want to see how many taxi drivers were outside barcelona airport fighting for custom. They said that the government has barely helped them.The dust is yet to settle. The tourism minister of Spain is desperate to get things moving again. They are even trying to negotiate their own deals with the uk. I was in salou today and looking at all the businesses that were closed. Do you think that is sustainable. The future looks bleak here and this is supposed to be one of Spain’s better off areas. God knows what it’s going to be like down south. And as for enforcing rules. I’d say deporting the idiots that have blatantly overstayed and are causing trouble would be law enforcement rather than a stamp of a passport. I’ve heard a lot to rumours about people being sent home but up to now I’ve seen nothing on the news.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 6:04 pm
  #21  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,613
bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Any printing of money isn't actually done by Spain as they don't have their own currency, its done by the European Central Bank. You are aware the Bank of England has also been printing money as have most nations since the crash its called Quantative Easing.
bobd22 is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 6:32 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,915
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Stingychips
it’s not Armageddon yet because they have been printing and borrowing money. You want to see how many taxi drivers were outside barcelona airport fighting for custom. They said that the government has barely helped them.The dust is yet to settle. The tourism minister of Spain is desperate to get things moving again. They are even trying to negotiate their own deals with the uk. I was in salou today and looking at all the businesses that were closed. Do you think that is sustainable. The future looks bleak here and this is supposed to be one of Spain’s better off areas. God knows what it’s going to be like down south. And as for enforcing rules. I’d say deporting the idiots that have blatantly overstayed and are causing trouble would be law enforcement rather than a stamp of a passport. I’ve heard a lot to rumours about people being sent home but up to now I’ve seen nothing on the news.
I live "down south" and the tourist resorts are certainly suffering, with many businesses closed, some of them permanently. A number of those businesses are owned and run by foreigners, not Spaniards. However, away from the coast (including the large town where I live) the impact is far less noticeable. Our cafes and bars have been quite busy during the hours they have been allowed to open, and the shops are not really affected because they don't rely on tourists for trade.

As to the driving issue, someone posted on Facebook last week that two friends of theirs had been fined €200 each in Torrox Costa because they were driving on UK licenses, were residents and should have exchanged their licenses for Spanish ones but had not done so. Spain IS enforcing the rules, just as they did when stamping your passport so it can be established whether you have kept within the 90 days in 180 in the Schengen area, and imposing the same rules for granting visas to UK citizens wishing to live and work in Spain which apply to all other third country nationals - whether you think it is a good idea for them to do so or not. Perhaps you should bear in mind that Spain stands to gain €140 bn from the European Recovery Fund and therefore wants to keep the EU on side.

Last edited by Lynn R; May 3rd 2021 at 6:44 pm.
Lynn R is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:01 pm
  #23  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Fred James
They will still need a licence for a scooter and it’s only a matter of time before the electric “skateboards” will need one. They are already subject to most of the normal road rules.
But no test required ?
Rotor is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:08 pm
  #24  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 16
lindasal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Hi All, on the subject of driving licences, does anyone know if an interpreter is allowed in the car during the test for those who may be still learning Spanish
lindasal is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:13 pm
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Spain needs tourists by the plane load and as quick as possible , I`m not sure what resident retirees on a UK pension bring to their party though , not a lot I`d imagine , the Spanish government seem to realise this as they are not making things easy.

Many Brits seem to forget they are not the only foreigners to reside in Spain , the whole of Europe has citizens who reside in España , the demographic will change a lot over the next few years.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:15 pm
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by lindasal
Hi All, on the subject of driving licences, does anyone know if an interpreter is allowed in the car during the test for those who may be still learning Spanish
Unlikely as they could help the driver with advice.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:18 pm
  #27  
DLC
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,152
DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Lynn R
As to the driving issue, someone posted on Facebook last week that two friends of theirs had been fined €200 each in Torrox Costa because they were driving on UK licenses, were residents and should have exchanged their licenses for Spanish ones but had not done so.
They should appeal, you are allowed to drive for six months on a UK licence after the end of the transition period/start of residency (whichever date is latest).
DLC is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:23 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by DLC
They should appeal, you are allowed to drive for six months on a UK licence after the end of the transition period/start of residency (whichever date is latest).
Easier to take it on the chin and they know it , what might be a good idea would be to find the source for what youve just said in Spanish print it off and carry it for your next Traffico stop.
Rotor is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:27 pm
  #29  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 700
Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I live "down south" and the tourist resorts are certainly suffering, with many businesses closed, some of them permanently. A number of those businesses are owned and run by foreigners, not Spaniards. However, away from the coast (including the large town where I live) the impact is far less noticeable. Our cafes and bars have been quite busy during the hours they have been allowed to open, and the shops are not really affected because they don't rely on tourists for trade.

As to the driving issue, someone posted on Facebook last week that two friends of theirs had been fined €200 each in Torrox Costa because they were driving on UK licenses, were residents and should have exchanged their licenses for Spanish ones but had not done so. Spain IS enforcing the rules, just as they did when stamping your passport so it can be established whether you have kept within the 90 days in 180 in the Schengen area, and imposing the same rules for granting visas to UK citizens wishing to live and work in Spain which apply to all other third country nationals - whether you think it is a good idea for them to do so or not. Perhaps you should bear in mind that Spain stands to gain €140 bn from the European Recovery Fund and therefore wants to keep the EU on side.
but does Spain have to pay the 140 billion back.? If it does it’s not that much to have a song and dance about.
Stingychips is offline  
Old May 3rd 2021, 7:31 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 30
avionisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

My observations of retired UK expats in the Orihuela Costa where I have owned a house for the past 20 years (as a no-residente) are as follows:

1. UK retirees are mostly married couples who have sold their properties in the UK and used a portion of the proceeds to buy a house in Spain outright (no mortgage) leaving them with a tidy sum in the bank.
2. For income they have their UK state pensions augmented by an occupational pension(s) (sometimes quite modest).
3. Their outgoings are generally lower than they would be in the UK e.g. €200 p.a. for IBI instead of £2000 p.a. in Council Tax, cheaper booze, cigarettes, petrol, diesel and no TV license to pay.
4. They get an S1 from the UK to cover their healthcare costs (I believe the UK pays Spain around €8,000 p.a. for the healthcare of each Brit with an S1).
5. Overall, supermarket food prices are similar to the UK provided one avoids expensive UK branded products.
6. Eating out is much cheaper in Spain compared to the UK. Menu del Dia meals for two, including a bottle of wine, are widely available for under €20.

Taking the above into consideration, surely the income requirements Spain is asking for post-brexit are a bit OTT as far these type of retirees are concerned.
avionisto is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.