Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 11th 2021, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
In the UK immigrants who cant learn English cant stay.
Under the UK immigration rules, over 65s are exempt from English language requirement, so UK does recognise the difficulties older people face in learning a new language.
Old May 11th 2021, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

There was something on the radio the other day talking about how brexit is still affecting British politics. Much of the deal is yet to do. A lot of people in the uk still want to remain or have a closer relationship with the EU. From what I have seen the EU have very much left the door open for the UK.
Old May 11th 2021, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
There was something on the radio the other day talking about how brexit is still affecting British politics. Much of the deal is yet to do. A lot of people in the uk still want to remain or have a closer relationship with the EU. From what I have seen the EU have very much left the door open for the UK.
I don't know about that and just look at the fishing row in Jersey https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-57068658
While the EU has an open door, it's the UK who doesn't want to go through that door. Those who want to remain in the EU have already left or are leaving Britain. I've never seen so many British reg cars here in Ireland drive around before but now the roads are full of them. I also had the feeling that there are more property sold signs up and even properties that were on the market for years are now selling. Brexit seems to also be one of the reasons https://trinityfinancial.ie/the-brex...ty-in-ireland/
Old May 11th 2021, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

There has been many comments about Brits not learning Spanish & has rather veered from the subject of deriving licences,so I am starting a new thread about this.
Old May 11th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Or, looking at it from the other angle, is there any particularly compelling reason why they shouldn't continue to reciprocally recognise equivalence for the purposes of licence exchange? It's a fairly standard agreement in today's world and ought to be completely straightforward in this case, the UK having just left the EU where mutual recognition was a given.

I'm just guessing wildly here, but the bringing down of the curtain on the UK government's jolly jape re: pretending not to recognise the status of the EU's Ambassador may facilitate the tying up of such loose ends and I wouldn't be altogether surprised if it were acted upon by the end of next month.
You are confusing to types of people here ,residents and tourists , tourists will be able to continue to use their UK license in Spain and every other EU country , residents won`t be able to.
Old May 11th 2021, 1:40 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not in the least bit confused.

I'm talking purely about new residents, and the likelihood, as I see it, of a licence exchange process being agreed, as is commonplace across the world these days.
Old May 11th 2021, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
The word perception is a strange term and almost invites applicants to make up some figures
I have no idea who decided that the original Spanish word 'percepción' translated to 'perception', maybe they used Google!

In context the correct translation should be 'receipt' so the phrase becomes 'or the holding of an estate that guarantees the receiptof that income'.
Old May 11th 2021, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm not in the least bit confused.

I'm talking purely about new residents, and the likelihood, as I see it, of a license exchange process being agreed, as is commonplace across the world these days.
Yes, it is commonplace but this is a new world for brits so they have had to start from scratch and write these agreements. Yes, the government has had years to do it but other items seem to be more important than the ones who leave the island and always will be.

In France, I think only 7 US states are able to directly exchange their license for a French one. the others have to do the full driving school tho there is some reduction in the driving instruction ( sometimes just once) and the written test is in French.
Old May 11th 2021, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't know about that and just look at the fishing row in Jersey https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-57068658
While the EU has an open door, it's the UK who doesn't want to go through that door. Those who want to remain in the EU have already left or are leaving Britain. I've never seen so many British reg cars here in Ireland drive around before but now the roads are full of them. I also had the feeling that there are more property sold signs up and even properties that were on the market for years are now selling. Brexit seems to also be one of the reasons https://trinityfinancial.ie/the-brex...ty-in-ireland/
no the majority of remainers still live in the UK. And the fishing row is just one of the many battles that France and the uk have had. They argued like cat and dog even when Britain was in the EU. They never wanted Britain to part of the EU in the first place. Crazy to think that France wouldn’t even be France if we didn’t help them all those years ago.
Old May 11th 2021, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
no the majority of remainers still live in the UK. And the fishing row is just one of the many battles that France and the uk have had. They argued like cat and dog even when Britain was in the EU. They never wanted Britain to part of the EU in the first place. Crazy to think that France wouldn’t even be France if we didn’t help them all those years ago.
And the UK would not be the UK if the US didnt help them all those years ago
Old May 11th 2021, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
No one is leaving Britain be it for a holiday or to emigrate or to visit Ireland for a drive in the motor , Lockdown ring any bells? , you seem to be making things up as you go along.
Old May 11th 2021, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tierranatural
And the UK would not be the UK if the US didnt help them all those years ago
And the US would be very different if it wasnt for the British all those years ago .
Old May 11th 2021, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear are we on about who helped who during WW2? So many people who keep on with these comments,I can imagine,were not even born then.I was,and sent away from my mother when our house was bombed,lost even my birth certificate.Perhaps I should be blaming the Luftwaffe instead of having nice German friends.If you go to Normandy you will see houses there that still have notices on their doors which say that they welcomed the Allies.
Old May 11th 2021, 5:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 11th 2021, 5:38 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is commonplace but this is a new world for brits so they have had to start from scratch and write these agreements. Yes, the government has had years to do it but other items seem to be more important than the ones who leave the island and always will be.
I'm not sure that's precisely where the problem lies - as I understand it the vast majority of EU member states have licence exchange arrangements for UK citizens already in place, due to them having been negotiated prior to the end of the transition period, and it's only France, Italy and Spain which haven't yet finalised arrangements for whatever reason.

In France, I think only 7 US states are able to directly exchange their license for a French one. the others have to do the full driving school tho there is some reduction in the driving instruction ( sometimes just once) and the written test is in French.
Sure - the US is a tricky one, since each state has its own licencing authority, as opposed to there being a single authority for the whole country and licence exchange arrangements are therefore usually state specific because of reciprocity demands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.