Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 11th 2021, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
QUOTE=Barriej;13004728]
Many are adamant that they will never return to UK but as sincerely as they mean it 'never' will always be moderated by circumstances, both foreseeable and not, so is more a statement of an aspiration than a fact.

If the number of Brits around you is a major factor in determining your future in Spain that to me suggests a lack of commitment or unresolved doubts about the move here.

​​​​​
​​​​​​​That's how I see it. As you say one often hears people say they will never go back to the UK, however my view is no one knows what the future holds so never say never. In the position of being retired and legal in Spain the WA has for my wife and me made that a decision we could make rather than need to make should our situation change. As well as Brexit we've also had the covid lockdown and restrictions my guess is for some it may be those restrictions that have focused minds re possibility of needing contact or assistance to continue living in Spain as they get older and less mobile etc. Everyone's situation is different and will change as one ages.
Old May 11th 2021, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the provision about driving licences is changed it really will be next to impossible for most Brits to reside permanently in Spain unless they are content to live without a car. Even if they do change it it is very likely you will still be required to do some kind of test when over 70 to assess your ability due to age. In UK all immigrants are required to speak English as a residency requirement so they don't feel unfairly treated when it comes to driving licences and the majority simply do the test ( which can only be done in English). Basically Brits need to face up to the fact that we live in a world where most people accept the challenge of learning another language as a skill required for immigration. Many Brits feel they are educated capable persons so now is their chance to prove it. Anyone with a bit of commitment , learning ability and intelligence should be capable of learning Spanish. It takes time and energy for sure. If you cant be bothered or refuse to do it stay in an English speaking country as you are basically not sufficiently skilled to cope with emigrating to a non English speaking country. But dont get all humpty because the country you wish to move to requires some degree of integration especially when your own country has much stricter rules concerning language
Old May 11th 2021, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the driving licence test you mention for those over 70? I am not aware of any driving test in Spain for those over 70. I am aware of the need for medical test and licence renewal every 5 years when over 70 which applies to all licence holders. I may have missed something but I know quite a few people who have renewed their licence at 70+ and the medical was only issue they certainly didn't take any form of driving test.
Old May 11th 2021, 7:54 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I find it strange that the driving licences issue appears to be regarded as a permanent state of affairs now.

From what I've read it appears to be an outstanding item which stands every chance of being resolved in due course (by which I mean fairly shortly, not years hence).
Old May 11th 2021, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I find it strange that the driving licences issue appears to be regarded as a permanent state of affairs now.

From what I've read it appears to be an outstanding item which stands every chance of being resolved in due course (by which I mean fairly shortly, not years hence).

Why would the Spanish authorities put themselves out to assist one nationality ? I cant see that being resolved very quickly if ever.

I think its ridiculous that so many retired Brits havent bothered to learn Spanish at least to a conversational level , the worst of the Brits are the retired so there's no excuse , its just laziness.
Old May 11th 2021, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Why would the Spanish authorities put themselves out to assist one nationality ? I cant see that being resolved very quickly if ever.

I think its ridiculous that so many retired Brits havent bothered to learn Spanish at least to a conversational level , the worst of the Brits are the retired so there's no excuse , its just laziness.
I do agree. I always remember how people in the UK would moan about immigrants working in service industries saying they couldn't speak English ( they almost certainly could speak at quite high levels but that doesn't mean its perfect). Well now I feel they can get a taste of what life is like everyday for some people who have emigrated to UK. Polish Spanish etc nearly all go to English classes. Many are working but still attend classes in the evenings. They put in the effort because they realise that it is what they need to live in UK in a functional way in the country.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

​​​​​​I agree that I don't see the Spanish simply favouring the British with regards to legislation. Having said that I do think the way they have dealt with licence and residency was in fact quite easy to comply with for those here pre January 2021, for which I am grateful. As for learning the language I get the point re by being retired one generally has time on their hands. However age is double edged as for many the capacity to learn or absorb a new language diminishes with age as often does ones ability to remember. I find I study but often struggle to remember words not long after. Again we are all different and I totally agree we should all try and make the effort to speak as much Spanish as we can.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
​​​​​​I agree that I don't see the Spanish simply favouring the British with regards to legislation. Having said that I do think the way they have dealt with licence and residency was in fact quite easy to comply with for those here pre January 2021, for which I am grateful. As for learning the language I get the point re by being retired one generally has time on their hands. However age is double edged as for many the capacity to learn or absorb a new language diminishes with age as often does ones ability to remember. I find I study but often struggle to remember words not long after. Again we are all different and I totally agree we should all try and make the effort to speak as much Spanish as we can.
The more people say you cant learn things as you grow older the more people believe it. You might not be able to learn as fast as a young person but that doesn't mean you can't learn. Admittedly you need to have learning skills so persons with academic backgrounds do probably have an advantage in the classroom . However language is not specifically an academic discipline so is not solely learned by directed study. People here seem to be capable of researching information about Spain etc and arguing there opinions. We often come across as super knowledgeable in areas we probably have little academic background ( the Covid virus and immunology/ Trade agreements/ international treaties etc) . So maybe this is a chance to walk the walk instead of talk the talk. Find out if you actual acquire a specific skill. Many have plenty of free time and the Escuela oficial de idiomas offers very cheap classes. Stop moaning about the driving test and start learning Spanish I say
Old May 11th 2021, 9:27 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

But fairly shortly will still be too late for the residents who missed the end of last year.

Also, as the saying goes, cosas de palacio van despacio.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:31 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Or, looking at it from the other angle, is there any particularly compelling reason why they shouldn't continue to reciprocally recognise equivalence for the purposes of licence exchange? It's a fairly standard agreement in today's world and ought to be completely straightforward in this case, the UK having just left the EU where mutual recognition was a given.

I'm just guessing wildly here, but the bringing down of the curtain on the UK government's jolly jape re: pretending not to recognise the status of the EU's Ambassador may facilitate the tying up of such loose ends and I wouldn't be altogether surprised if it were acted upon by the end of next month.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:37 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by DLC
But fairly shortly will still be too late for the residents who missed the end of last year.
In some cases, regarding those who haven't simply ignored their responsibilities, they could well be considered unfairly treated but this thread is about people becoming resident after that.
Old May 11th 2021, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DLC

Also, as the saying goes, cosas de palacio van despacio.
The UK initiated Brexit and it was not a popular move in Spain. But the idea that everything that is now inconvenient for us needs to be changed is ridiculous. Diplomats between the two countries are well aware that everyone has suffered because of it but they cant just restore things because it is better for all of us. What would be the point of Brexit? The UK had the option for a soft Brexit which would have meant many things would have remained unchanged but the government didn't want that. They went for a hard Brexit basically ignoring or the little things that required a bit of compromise. Spain is not going to alter the 90 day rule or licences and any number of things because all that was thrown out by the British negotiators. We live in a commercial world but it is controlled by politics and that doesn't change until voters change
Old May 11th 2021, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
The more people say you cant learn things as you grow older the more people believe it. You might not be able to learn as fast as a young person but that doesn't mean you can't learn. Admittedly you need to have learning skills so persons with academic backgrounds do probably have an advantage in the classroom . However language is not specifically an academic discipline so is not solely learned by directed study. People here seem to be capable of researching information about Spain etc and arguing there opinions. We often come across as super knowledgeable in areas we probably have little academic background ( the Covid virus and immunology/ Trade agreements/ international treaties etc) . So maybe this is a chance to walk the walk instead of talk the talk. Find out if you actual acquire a specific skill. Many have plenty of free time and the Escuela oficial de idiomas offers very cheap classes. Stop moaning about the driving test and start learning Spanish I say
in my reply I didn't say "couldn't learn a new language" and I did say everyone is different. The point I made is a simple fact learning often becomes more difficult with age by age I mean 60+. What you describe I totally get. As a younger man I was a very good instructor in the military, reason for that was I had a great memory. I also believed it would not be that difficult to learn Spanish. As I approach late 60s my brain tells me differently. Yes I try yes I've taken lessons and as I said I agree one should do as much as they can. My point was having time on ones hands is not the simple answer to learning a language it helps yes. You would only know when you try learning when older. They say you don't need a good memory to learn language? I disagree there's more to it than memory but a good memory clearly aids learning. If you learned a new language when younger then of course it will stay with you as you age, starting from scratch is different. I'm not excusing it just stating a fact you may well have learned as a younger person which is great. The point I made wasn't to excuse older people from the need to speak Spanish more that many do indeed try but for various reasons including mental capacity and learning aptitude achieve different levels. Of course some simply make no effort .
Old May 11th 2021, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobd22
in my reply I didn't say "couldn't learn a new language" and I did say everyone is different. The point I made is a simple fact learning often becomes more difficult with age by age I mean 60+. What you describe I totally get. As a younger man I was a very good instructor in the military, reason for that was I had a great memory. I also believed it would not be that difficult to learn Spanish. As I approach late 60s my brain tells me differently. Yes I try yes I've taken lessons and as I said I agree one should do as much as they can. My point was having time on ones hands is not the simple answer to learning a language it helps yes. You would only know when you try learning when older. They say you don't need a good memory to learn language? I disagree there's more to it than memory but a good memory clearly aids learning. If you learned a new language when younger then of course it will stay with you as you age, starting from scratch is different. I'm not excusing it just stating a fact you may well have learned as a younger person which is great. The point I made wasn't to excuse older people from the need to speak Spanish more that many do indeed try but for various reasons including mental capacity and learning aptitude achieve different levels. Of course some simply make no effort .
Yes I agree with what you say but would add that unfortunately we become who we are. In the UK immigrants who cant learn English cant stay. They might be lazy. They might lack the cognitive abilities. They might try very hard but it is a cruel world. The same is now happening to Brits but they feel that it is unfair. My point is that a British person feels it perfectly reasonable to expect a UK licence holder to speak English. I doubt they feel much sympathy if a polish driver has an accident but cant report it because he doesn't understand English. They would probably say he shouldn't be trying to live in UK. Well that's probably how the average Spanish person feels abou British residents.
Old May 11th 2021, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Yes I agree with what you say but would add that unfortunately we become who we are. In the UK immigrants who cant learn English cant stay. They might be lazy. They might lack the cognitive abilities. They might try very hard but it is a cruel world. The same is now happening to Brits but they feel that it is unfair. My point is that a British person feels it perfectly reasonable to expect a UK licence holder to speak English. I doubt they feel much sympathy if a polish driver has an accident but cant report it because he doesn't understand English. They would probably say he shouldn't be trying to live in UK. Well that's probably how the average Spanish person feels abou British residents.
yes I agree .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.