Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Old May 9th 2021, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless.....

Its negligible in the bigger picture. Retired British expats ( pre- Brexit) are not an essential requirement for the Spanish economy. British tourists yes but frugal retirees are not a big catch. Anyway that door is now closed and no amount of moaning or signing petitions can change it because the UK appears to like Boris and Brexit. If you want to live in Spain on a NLV you will need an income that pushes you into a tax rate. It's a drag for some but many like the fact that they keep all those immigrants out of UK. Britain has its cake but it cant eat it. If people want to change things start voting to break up the Kingdom so that independent nations can opt to rejoin Europe.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Actually it is not as simple as that. The immigrants in UK that you have in your sights are EU workers who have settled status and they create worth through the actual action of work. They contribute by working. Their productivity allows the economy to grow. Now that UK has left EU it imposes a 3rd country immigration program which is designed to attract skilled highly qualified workers who will pay tax. It's biggest problem is finding manpower for its agricultural and service industries hence the reason the sector is hassling the government to look at short term work visas to attract foreign workers . The economy needs them to grow. British immigrants to Spain either work in professional roles in Madrid or Barcelona or are retired folk who unless they have higher than average incomes contribute zilch.
The theory in that is good but it gets exploited by the big players such as Amazon ,Ebay , Coffee shop chains, fast food joints etc who all use cheaper migrant labour in thousands then pay next to no corporation tax ,effectively the UK tax payer is subsidising the aforementioned companies by paying workers tax credits , as for agriculture it has needed a reality check for decades (I`ve spent many years working in agriculture) migrant workers have been exploited in the fruit/veg/flower picking sector for decades effectively being paid less than minimum wage then farmers turn round and say the British wont do the work , well obviously they wont under current terms and conditions , then of course theres the single farm payment schemes and so on , food has never been so cheap in the UK but I think we will soon see significant price rises.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Indeed and thats why most families struggle to get by.
in Salou the Spanish waitresses regularly asked when the British would be here. They thought they would be here this month but I told them it’s highly unlikely. She told us that the difference in “tips” between Spanish costumers and British is massive. You can make money in Spain. Just have to go after the richer tourists that are prepared to spend willy nilly like the British.I think when the covid crisis has cleared and tourism starts to come back then expats will return again. I keep hearing stories of how expats are being refused vaccines and covid payments. This year has probably been the most testing for any expat.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
in Salou the Spanish waitresses regularly asked when the British would be here. They thought they would be here this month but I told them it’s highly unlikely. She told us that the difference in “tips” between Spanish costumers and British is massive. You can make money in Spain. Just have to go after the richer tourists that are prepared to spend willy nilly like the British.I think when the covid crisis has cleared and tourism starts to come back then expats will return again. I keep hearing stories of how expats are being refused vaccines and covid payments. This year has probably been the most testing for any expat.
No one is being refused vaccines or Covid payments if they are legally registered !!!
Old May 9th 2021, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Its negligible in the bigger picture. Retired British expats ( pre- Brexit) are not an essential requirement for the Spanish economy. British tourists yes but frugal retirees are not a big catch. Anyway that door is now closed and no amount of moaning or signing petitions can change it because the UK appears to like Boris and Brexit. If you want to live in Spain on a NLV you will need an income that pushes you into a tax rate. It's a drag for some but many like the fact that they keep all those immigrants out of UK. Britain has its cake but it cant eat it. If people want to change things start voting to break up the Kingdom so that independent nations can opt to rejoin Europe.
Do you not think Spain could/would change the visa system from a 90 day to a 180. I think they may take that course of action.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

No one is being refused vaccines or Covid payments if they are legally registered !!!
I’ve heard otherwise unfortunately.
Old May 9th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you not think Spain could/would change the visa system from a 90 day to a 180. I think they may take that course of action.
Well then they would need to do the same for all 3rd countries nationals. You can t discriminate
Old May 9th 2021, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I’ve heard otherwise unfortunately.
Youat have heard but that is not unfortunately proof
Old May 9th 2021, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Well then they would need to do the same for all 3rd countries nationals. You can t discriminate
Nope. Spain is free to enact any agreement with any third country, just as France has had visa waiver agreement, entirely separate from Schengen, with Australia, US and a few others but not all third countries.

Last edited by Joppa; May 9th 2021 at 5:53 pm.
Old May 9th 2021, 6:38 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I would add that the helath insurance has to be total. No exclusions for pre-existing medical conditions (who hasnt got one of those!) and no Co-payments.
Do lots of Spanish companies offer this or do UK expats generally stick to one or just a handful of insurance operators?

On a side note, "British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless....." ... they have an EU-citizen spouse, perhaps? I take it this changes the name of the game completely? My wife, kids and I are eyeing a move to Tenerife for a few years on a "self-sufficient" basis rather than waiting for job opportunities as I can still earn remotely. Just wondering how much more paperwork will be involved if I choose to officially join rather than just plan long visits every so often (I still have 2+ years on a Maltese residency pass so I'm all clear for being in the Schengen area).
Old May 9th 2021, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Do lots of Spanish companies offer this or do UK expats generally stick to one or just a handful of insurance operators?

On a side note, "British Citizens Can No Longer Move to Spain Unless....." ... they have an EU-citizen spouse, perhaps? I take it this changes the name of the game completely? My wife, kids and I are eyeing a move to Tenerife for a few years on a "self-sufficient" basis rather than waiting for job opportunities as I can still earn remotely. Just wondering how much more paperwork will be involved if I choose to officially join rather than just plan long visits every so often (I still have 2+ years on a Maltese residency pass so I'm all clear for being in the Schengen area).
I dont know about now, but last year (and before) there was quite a lot of choice for healthcare policies. The main thing however, was that the Spanish Residency was not as tight as it will be now.
We arrived in August last year and for residency we needed to provide a complete copy of the policy wording in Spanish (42 pages), the certificate and the bank payment. So I'm assuming its the same or even harder now, and you can bet the policy gets looked at quite closely.

Cant answer your second point but having residency in one EU country if you have a British passport does not guarantee residence in another (I may not be completely correct) but I think the freedom to move around Europe is no longer available. If you are married to an EU citizen (i.e. born or naturalised not just a resident) then you can travel with them as a family member. They would then have to show they can support you (not the other way round).
If Ive got this wrong then someone else with more knowledge may be along soon.

Old May 10th 2021, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

avionisto is an unknown quantity at this point

There seems to be a general assumption that EU states can impose any restrictions they wish on UK citizens and that the UK government has no means of retaliating. I think this is far from the truth.

I wonder if it has occurred to the UK government that it might be advantageous to employ what might be described as "Tourism Diplomacy" directed at countries they consider to be hostile to British citizens interests. Using the age-old British tactic of divide-and-rule, HMG might be inclined to place financial obstacles in the path (e.g. expensive departure visas) for holiday travel to France and Spain but no such financial impediments for UK holidaymakers travelling to Portugal, Italy, Greece, Malta or Cyprus. People who need to travel to France or Spain for work related reasons would be able to reclaim any visa costs they incur via tax relief. This tactic would be an obvious extension of the controls HMG has already placed on foreign holiday travel because of the COVID pandemic. Once a government develops a policy for one purpose there is nothing to stop them using it to achieve another policy aim. It might prove very popular with their supporters who read the Daily Express!

Old May 10th 2021, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avionisto
There seems to be a general assumption that EU states can impose any restrictions they wish on UK citizens and that the UK government has no means of retaliating. I think this is far from the truth.

I wonder if it has occurred to the UK government that it might be advantageous to employ what might be described as "Tourism Diplomacy" directed at countries they consider to be hostile to British citizens interests. Using the age-old British tactic of divide-and-rule, HMG might be inclined to place financial obstacles in the path (e.g. expensive departure visas) for holiday travel to France and Spain but no such financial impediments for UK holidaymakers travelling to Portugal, Italy, Greece, Malta or Cyprus. People who need to travel to France or Spain for work related reasons would be able to reclaim any visa costs they incur via tax relief. This tactic would be an obvious extension of the controls HMG has already placed on foreign holiday travel because of the COVID pandemic. Once a government develops a policy for one purpose there is nothing to stop them using it to achieve another policy aim. It might prove very popular with their supporters who read the Daily Express!
But why are they hostile to British interests if the same rules apply for other non EU citizens? It's not as if the other countries don't have restrictions either and your idea would just harm those British who want to take the ferry to France.
Old May 10th 2021, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by avionisto

Basically it is being stirred up by the Express. There is no animosity directed at Brits by Spain. Spain is simply applying the law. Brits who lived in Spain and were not registered were told at least 2 years ago by the UK government to make sure they registered in Spain before Brexit. Many who appear to be grumbling in the Express simply didn't bother to do this. It is nothing to do with harsh treatment. Besides they still have until end of June to do it if they failed in December. The UK right wing press are such a bunch of agitators and liars it's quite shameful
Old May 10th 2021, 1:21 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

It's part of the TCA that the UK must treat all EU citiziens no matter the nationality the same for short-term visas instead of picking them off and playing them off against each other.

Long-term visas weren't in the TCA and of course the UK immediately set about doing exactly that.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo...647-ASW_EN.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.