British Cars

Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

SenorMacca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Cars

Hi all. I'm looking to move over to the Costa Blanca area next year at some point, more than likely will be driving down there in my car I've got now.

Wondering if there are any likely problems with this apart driving on the other side of the road! I've heard something that they need to be registered in Spain after a certain amount of time? Is this right?

I'm not looking to move down here permanently as yet, maybe for a few months so I wouldn't be too keen on getting into registering the car in Spain if I can.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 6:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Cars

Originally Posted by SenorMacca
Hi all. I'm looking to move over to the Costa Blanca area next year at some point, more than likely will be driving down there in my car I've got now.

Wondering if there are any likely problems with this apart driving on the other side of the road! I've heard something that they need to be registered in Spain after a certain amount of time? Is this right?

I'm not looking to move down here permanently as yet, maybe for a few months so I wouldn't be too keen on getting into registering the car in Spain if I can.
Doubtless people will tell you that its a pain and you shouldn't do it, but I bought down a british car when I moved here and have no problems at all. If its a temporary think then you need to have the headlight stickers, as well as a GB sticker, and you will need triangles, reflective jackets for all seats, spare glasses (if you wear them) and a set of replacement bulbs.

But be sure its temporary, keep your ferry tickets, because if you are resident here then you should matriculate the car to Spanish plates and if you get stopped by the local police you may be asked to prove you are non resident. The onus will be on you
Old Sep 11th 2008, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Doubtless people will tell you that its a pain and you shouldn't do it, but I bought down a british car when I moved here and have no problems at all. If its a temporary think then you need to have the headlight stickers, as well as a GB sticker, and you will need triangles, reflective jackets for all seats, spare glasses (if you wear them) and a set of replacement bulbs.

But be sure its temporary, keep your ferry tickets, because if you are resident here then you should matriculate the car to Spanish plates and if you get stopped by the local police you may be asked to prove you are non resident. The onus will be on you
Thanks for the advice, what are the headlight stickers? Would having proof I was to return to the UK be enough if I was stopped? Or by renting somewhere for a few months mean to them that I should matriculate my car?
Old Sep 11th 2008, 10:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, what are the headlight stickers? Would having proof I was to return to the UK be enough if I was stopped? Or by renting somewhere for a few months mean to them that I should matriculate my car?
You need deflectors on the headlights otherwise they blind people as they are set for RHD cars.

You are supposed to matriculate within 60 days of residency in the UK, hence why I said take care with the timings
Old Sep 15th 2008, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You need deflectors on the headlights otherwise they blind people as they are set for RHD cars.

You are supposed to matriculate within 60 days of residency in the UK, hence why I said take care with the timings
Ah I see what you mean! This sounds pretty costly? Also if I'm driving through France and Spain would the car need to be taxed for France and Spain or would my UK tax disc be fine unless I needed to repatriate?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see what you mean! This sounds pretty costly? Also if I'm driving through France and Spain would the car need to be taxed for France and Spain or would my UK tax disc be fine unless I needed to repatriate?
Tax disc will be fine... BUT.. don't stay out of the UK for more than 6 months, you car, to be legal in Spain and presumably other EU countries, has to be street legal in its country of registration ie valid tax, MOT and insurance, BUT if has been out of the UK for more than 6 months, you would have to explain to the authorities why you haven't changed it onto Spanish plates, and the onus of proof, if you claim it hasn't been here more than 6 monhs, would be on you, ferry or tunnel tickets being the only proof you could have as there would be no proof you had been in any other country. You would also have to ensure that your insurance company would cover it as many have a time limit of overseas use.