Reload this Page >

Brit in Spain... Looking for accom in South Spain

Brit in Spain... Looking for accom in South Spain

Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Ellie95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brit in Spain... Looking for accom in South Spain

Originally Posted by minouette
Try comaskey.com in La Zenia - they are covering many areas on the South Coast and speak English, being an English company.
Tel. +34 966 773 026 - speak to Christina in Rentals.
Good luck!
Thank you! Will get in touch as soon as we get to the hotel, just sorting out my NIE stuff st the moment
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit in Spain... HELP!

Originally Posted by Ellie95
That is a very ignorant statement. Believe me, I dont need to be 'welcomed to the third world' as we have also lived in zimbabwe for a few years prior to coming here so we know what its like to be in the depth of a third world country. Had you not jumped to conclusions maybe you could have been informed.
Don't worry. It's a bit of a snob thing.
We've got Brit friends who insist on ordering their Chinese meal in Spanish!
Funny when you see the waitress secretly raising her eyes.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

We considered Malta but with the refugee crisis we felt it was the more risky option.
Hello Ellie,

I do not live in Spain, and therefore, much as I would like, am unable to offer any help with finding accommodation in Malaga.

I just wanted to give you my first-hand experience of Malta. I have been living here for a couple of months. Before I came, I too was worried about the migrant crisis. I had read different opinions on how it was affecting the island, and in the end I thought the only way of knowing for sure was to come and see for myself. Of course, the migrant crisis was not the only thing about Malta I was concerned about. What I have found is that there are small groups of Libyans hanging around aimlessly at places like the bus station in Valletta, and apparently they tend to live in one particular area (Marsa). Other than that, there's no obvious sign of any crisis. Of course this may change in the future, and Malta is a small island with an already high population density.

I am not suggesting Malta is perfect. Far from it. There are many things I dislike, but it's an "easy" country in which to live. Everyone speaks English. All forms, signs, notices, etc. are in English. There is a good healthcare system and the people are (mostly) friendly. Renting accommodation is easy and there is plenty of choice within your budget. I don't know anything about work, but I am told that salaries are low.

Please don't think I am trying to persuade you to give up on Spain and move to Malta. From your posts, you seem to have a "can-do" attitude, and I think this is what is required to be success at immigrating to Spain and to follow the Surinder Singh route. My advice, for what it is worth, is to plough-on with Spain and see how things go. I believe you will make a success of it.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I think this thread requires a little hilarity.

So once again

Old Mar 15th 2016, 2:49 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate

So once again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWZ3uAEKsw
That's one video I can watch over and over and still really laugh at. Anyone who has had to deal with Spanish beurocracy has met that chap..
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
(And I know I picked your post Mitzy.... but you're just one of the snipers in this case.. so it's not only about your comment).
Wishing them good luck is sniping is it?
Old Mar 15th 2016, 7:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So once again

I assume that the girl is blonde is a thinly-veiled allusion to her being an outsider/ immigrant.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Hello Ellie,

I do not live in Spain, and therefore, much as I would like, am unable to offer any help with finding accommodation in Malaga.

I just wanted to give you my first-hand experience of Malta. I have been living here for a couple of months. Before I came, I too was worried about the migrant crisis. I had read different opinions on how it was affecting the island, and in the end I thought the only way of knowing for sure was to come and see for myself. Of course, the migrant crisis was not the only thing about Malta I was concerned about. What I have found is that there are small groups of Libyans hanging around aimlessly at places like the bus station in Valletta, and apparently they tend to live in one particular area (Marsa). Other than that, there's no obvious sign of any crisis. Of course this may change in the future, and Malta is a small island with an already high population density.

I am not suggesting Malta is perfect. Far from it. There are many things I dislike, but it's an "easy" country in which to live. Everyone speaks English. All forms, signs, notices, etc. are in English. There is a good healthcare system and the people are (mostly) friendly. Renting accommodation is easy and there is plenty of choice within your budget. I don't know anything about work, but I am told that salaries are low.

Please don't think I am trying to persuade you to give up on Spain and move to Malta. From your posts, you seem to have a "can-do" attitude, and I think this is what is required to be success at immigrating to Spain and to follow the Surinder Singh route. My advice, for what it is worth, is to plough-on with Spain and see how things go. I believe you will make a success of it.
Teejaydee your post was pretty touching. Thank you for that. You are correct that I have a "can do" attitude. I think it's because my husband and I have been through so much life in the years that we have been together. If I told you, you probably wouldn't believe me. But thanks for the Malta insight, we might go for a visit in the near future.

Last edited by Ellie95; Mar 15th 2016 at 8:06 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE: To those who have been helpful and others who are interested in our progress. We ended up viewing two properties today. One in Torremolinos and the other in Benalmadena. The first landlord wanted us to pay 6 months up front because we have only been here a few days. The 2nd landlord was fine with 1 month deposit and 3 months upfront so we just had a "gentleman's agreement" on the property and we pay tomorrow. All this was done via estate agents.

Also my NIE is on it's way, got through some paperwork and made payment at the bank today. Been such a busy day but thank you for the positive and encouraging responses, much appreciated.

Benalmadena Costa is beautiful. We were in awe of Torremolinos but dare I say Benalmadena is even more beautiful. Having an early night today because tomorrow will be hectic again as we *might* be moving in.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Wishing them good luck is sniping is it?
A poke in the eye is a poke in the eye. If you wished me good luck after delivering one I'd tell you not to bother.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE: To those who have been helpful and others who are interested in our progress. We ended up viewing two properties today. One in Torremolinos and the other in Benalmadena. The first landlord wanted us to pay 6 months up front because we have only been here a few days. The 2nd landlord was fine with 1 month deposit and 3 months upfront so we just had a "gentleman's agreement" on the property and we pay tomorrow. All this was done via estate agents.

Also my NIE is on it's way, got through some paperwork and made payment at the bank today. Been such a busy day but thank you for the positive and encouraging responses, much appreciated.

Benalmadena Costa is beautiful. We were in awe of Torremolinos but dare I say Benalmadena is even more beautiful. Having an early night today because tomorrow will be hectic again as we *might* be moving in.
Well done Ellie. It sounds as if you've got the break that you need. Staying in a hotel is not ideal (especially with a young child). You will feel much more at home in Spain once you move in to your own property.

It sounds as if you have chosen a nice part of Spain, and you are arriving at a good time of year to enjoy it.

Please don't be put off from asking further questions about life in Spain, the Surinder Singh route, or anything else.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

So once again

this is a good laugh. when we got to extranjos at the polizia, the guy who was serving us kept going for a fag break. of course with us coming from Zimbabwe this wasn't such a surprise however I just kept thinking you'd never see such in Britain.

Good night good people. Sure we'll have more updates tomorrow.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Well done Ellie. It sounds as if you've got the break that you need. Staying in a hotel is not ideal (especially with a young child). You will feel much more at home in Spain once you move in to your own property.

It sounds as if you have chosen a nice part of Spain, and you are arriving at a good time of year to enjoy it.

Please don't be put off from asking further questions about life in Spain, the Surinder Singh route, or anything else.
Yes today was indeed filled with breakthroughs, the people at the estate agents kept saying we have come at a good time especially for a long term let. apparently in the summer every landlord is charging an arm and a leg and doing short term holiday rentals because of the demand. and your right, the little guy has been so cranky coz we been hurling him around in his pram all day like a shopping trolley and yes, should we need any further help I will be on here pronto. Thanks again and goodnight for the nth time lol.
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
A poke in the eye is a poke in the eye. If you wished me good luck after delivering one I'd tell you not to bother.
Heh heh, coming from you, thats really funny
Old Mar 15th 2016, 9:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Very , very good news and I am jolly pleased to read this.

Onward and upward slowly then.

As teejaydee states, please do not be a stranger even though most of us couldn't help with your simple request & I , for one, would love to read your story some time. It's not so much nosiness for the sake of it, just more that it is fascinating to read how we all end up where we do. After all for myself I never expected to end up in NewZealand for 12 years. My eyes were set to France.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.