Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brit holiday makers are not welcome

Brit holiday makers are not welcome

Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:37 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brit holiday makers are not welcome

Perhaps just as well when you see the crowds protesting in London and on the beaches
Spain’s Tourism Minister has left the hopes of thousands of Britons yearning to return to the Costas in tatters today when she said the UK’s coronavirus infection rate “still had to improve” before they’d be allowed to visit.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
spain .doc (578.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by missile; Jun 1st 2020 at 8:42 am.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit holiday makers are not welcome

Brits, French and Spanish not welcome in Greece.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:23 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
Brits, French and Spanish not welcome in Greece.
See here >
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has so many issues when it comes to this issue. So many have done the right thing and not only complied with the advise that has been given from government but have simply done the right thing and stayed away from others not living with. Unfortunately as always there have been foolish people that have as they always do who have done whatever they want with no regard for anyone. I'm sure to some scale all countries will have had this. Recent issues with Cummings in particular but other political people and poor way it has been dealt with have exacerbated the issue. Of course UK was behind mainland Europe in contracting the virus by 10 days or slightly more at the start so that drag will be there coming out. Let's hope the UK gets its figures down rather than start going back up. Personally I am waiting for my wife to be able to join me to get on with our new life in Spain. On the plus side I see that they are going to start appointments for NIE etc shortly in many areas I'm presuming that will include residencia appointments.? So fingers crossed UK gets on top of things and we can move on.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 10:29 am
Started off with nothing

I am glass half full, but it is difficult to be optimistic. It is not surprising many in UK follow the dreadful example set by the monarchy, politicians and those with more money than sense.

Good luck with your residencia. I suspect it will be quicker & easier for your wife to get into Spain if she travels via a.n.other EU country, e.g. Ireland. You might want to investigate?
Old Jun 1st 2020, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I am glass half full, but it is difficult to be optimistic. It is not surprising many in UK follow the dreadful example set by the monarchy, politicians and those with more money than sense.

Good luck with your residencia. I suspect it will be quicker & easier for your wife to get into Spain if she travels via a.n.other EU country, e.g. Ireland. You might want to investigate?
Thanks yes I totally agree re the bad examples having been set. If all else fails as you say Ireland could be a possible route. Fingers crossed UK will sort itself out but leadership is way from good at the moment.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

You make the Spanish sound like saints compared to those pesky Brits..

Spain has had three times more fines handed out than the average European country and many times more than those pesky Brits. There was a party of 27 or so people in Cordoba province at the end of May. Setting a bad rxample?

Fingers crossed Spain will get on top of things and you can move on bob.!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
You make the Spanish sound like saints compared to those pesky Brits..

Spain has had three times more fines handed out than the average European country and many times more than those pesky Brits. There was a party of 27 or so people in Cordoba province at the end of May. Setting a bad rxample?

Fingers crossed Spain will get on top of things and you can move on bob.!
Yes totally agree to some degree I think many European countries have had issues to some degree. Spain as you say has had protests and other issues. I live in a rural area of Spain but even here although most followed guidance some seemed to ignore it. I think the UK is blighted by the ridiculous carry on re Cummings and his fantastic story of how it was all within the rules. As always we are where we are as I mentioned in first post even if things had gone well UK will always be a little behind Spain and Italy etc coming out due to the lag of the virus. Let's hope they all get on top of it and we can get back to living our lives as best we can.

Old Jun 1st 2020, 2:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The UK has so many issues when it comes to this issue. So many have done the right thing and not only complied with the advise that has been given from government but have simply done the right thing and stayed away from others not living with. Unfortunately as always there have been foolish people that have as they always do who have done whatever they want with no regard for anyone. ......
The paradox is that those who are responsible and cautious are the ones who probably won't want to travel to Greece, or anywhere else on a plane, and spend time in a crowded resort and in bars and restaurants this summer, so I would consider that opening the beaches and hotels is going to attract customers who are more risky than average when it comes to catching and spreading coronavirus.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The paradox is that those who are responsible and cautious are the ones who probably won't want to travel to Greece, or anywhere else on a plane, and spend time in a crowded resort and in bars and restaurants this summer, so I would consider that opening the beaches and hotels is going to attract customers who are more risky than average when it comes to catching and spreading coronavirus.
​​​​​​Probably mind throughout life I have found some people who are just plain selfish not caring a jot for anyone but themselves. It is what it is I don't think any government has had an easy time with this pandemic some have dealt with things better than others though but I will leave my opinions there.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:06 pm
Started off with nothing

​​​​​​Probably mind throughout life I have found some people who are just plain selfish not caring a jot for anyone but themselves. …
It seems to me people are becoming more selfish and I don't like the covert racism toward johnny foreigner. Perhaps it is just me who feels that way, as I get older and being more judgemental?
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Agree.......
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by missile
It seems to me people are becoming more selfish and I don't like the covert racism toward johnny foreigner. Perhaps it is just me who feels that way, as I get older and being more judgemental?
It's not just you I feel the same. However personally I don't think this is simply natural progression. Recent events over last 5+ years and campaigning by groups and factions within our political system have stoked that along with other extreme elements of society BNP, EDL etc. It isn't pleasant in some areas of the UK sadly.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 8:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's not just you I feel the same. However personally I don't think this is simply natural progression. Recent events over last 5+ years and campaigning by groups and factions within our political system have stoked that along with other extreme elements of society BNP, EDL etc. It isn't pleasant in some areas of the UK sadly.
I think its always been that way, people can be offensive and aggressive, and the veneer of civilization is very thin. Look at Yugoslavia, where the central government kept law and order for more than 45 years after WWII, and people lived peaceably side by side, but when the government toppled and the justice system collapsed, we saw people attacking and killing therir neighbors, driving them out of their homes and into concentration camps, and then massacring them. The media today is quick to report cases of racist abuse, but I sincerely doubt that it is a recent and/or increasing phenomenon.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think its always been that way, people can be offensive and aggressive, and the veneer of civilization is very thin. Look at Yugoslavia, where the central government kept law and order for more than 45 years after WWII, and people lived peaceably side by side, but when the government toppled and the justice system collapsed, we saw people attacking and killing therir neighbors, driving them out of their homes and into concentration camps, and then massacring them. The media today is quick to report cases of racist abuse, but I sincerely doubt that it is a recent and/or increasing phenomenon.
I would agree that intolerance has always been there to some degree based on many things race, tribalism and religion being the main ones. The island of Ireland is a prime UK example. I know there was always an element of racism in areas of the UK and elsewhere. However I think it has got worse certainly over the last 20 years in the UK and Europe as a whole. There are many reasons, more people move around the world with cheaper easier travel links both to settle and tourism, the conflict that has happened in many areas both Europe, Africa and Middle East areas displacing large numbers of people in a short period of time etc. Also the media now as you mention but not just official media but the ability for people to use social media to stir up the hatred and quickly organise protest or disorder. I personally think it has become noticeably worse. Back to Spain it happens here definitely. Of course all this has little to do with the original point of the post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.