Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing trees/bushes into Spain from UK

Bringing trees/bushes into Spain from UK

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Nosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really nice
Default Bringing trees/bushes into Spain from UK

I can't find anything on this. Does anyone know if I can bring fruit trees into Spain from UK. It would be driving down in a van, I have looked on the DEFRA website without any luck. I know you have to be careful not to introduce diseases into countries but not sure if movement within Europe is allowed.

Yes I know I could buy them when I get here but I am looking at specially adapted citrus fruits sold in the UK which are cold resistant to minus 10 degrees for planting in Galicia. In the UK they are expensive (around £50) but I am concerned that Spanish trees would be standard (non cold resistant) ones which don't usually thrive in Galicia. Not sure if my Spanish is good enough to ask about cold resistance. A tree is an investment for life.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 3:00 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing trees/bushes into Spain from UK

Originally Posted by Nosherlot
I can't find anything on this. Does anyone know if I can bring fruit trees into Spain from UK. It would be driving down in a van, I have looked on the DEFRA website without any luck. I know you have to be careful not to introduce diseases into countries but not sure if movement within Europe is allowed.

Yes I know I could buy them when I get here but I am looking at specially adapted citrus fruits sold in the UK which are cold resistant to minus 10 degrees for planting in Galicia. In the UK they are expensive (around £50) but I am concerned that Spanish trees would be standard (non cold resistant) ones which don't usually thrive in Galicia. Not sure if my Spanish is good enough to ask about cold resistance. A tree is an investment for life.
If you buy them from a nusery in the uk and you have the relevent paperwork you will be ok.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. As long as it is not commercial, then you can, and you need no papers. That's what I was told. I bring such stuff out regularly.

Why not find some garden centres near you in Spain and ask them?

Off the top of my head, say this. (I put ny instead of n with a tilde)

Quiero comprar naranyos, pero tengo miedo que escarchas, hielada y frio los mataran. Tienen Ustedes arboles frutales citricos que tienen fuerza contra el frio?

(I wish to buy orange trees, but am afraid that the frosts, ice and cold will kill them. Do you have fruit trees that are strong against cold?)

In the south, normal orange trees are 10 - 15 euros each. If you can get them in Spain it might be cheaper and a whole lot less hassle.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:16 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

(I wish to buy orange trees, but am afraid that the frosts, ice and cold will kill them, the ice will kill them if the cold temps and wind dont get them
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:29 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Nope. As long as it is not commercial, then you can, and you need no papers. That's what I was told. I bring such stuff out regularly.

Why not find some garden centres near you in Spain and ask them?

Off the top of my head, say this. (I put ny instead of n with a tilde)

Quiero comprar naranyos, pero tengo miedo que escarchas, hielada y frio los mataran. Tienen Ustedes arboles frutales citricos que tienen fuerza contra el frio?

(I wish to buy orange trees, but am afraid that the frosts, ice and cold will kill them. Do you have fruit trees that are strong against cold?)

In the south, normal orange trees are 10 - 15 euros each. If you can get them in Spain it might be cheaper and a whole lot less hassle.
yes in your case the papers may be just the reciept or maybe the lable on the plant to show it originated from the eu.but a certain things although can be freely moved within the eu need a acompaying health cert and docs or just details of origen.all he has to do is ring customs or the dept of eviroment.and ask about a van load of trees and bushes as its there department.some things have to have this to stop diseases and micro organisums.some species are banned full stop.Im not saying he can or he cant.just he is best off checking.to possibly save himself a load of greaf.

Last edited by betris; Oct 4th 2008 at 12:03 am.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
yes in your case the papers may be just the reciept or maybe the lable on the plant to show it originated from the eu.but a certain things although can be freely moved within the eu need a acompaying health cert and docs or just details of origen.all he has to do is ring customs or the dept of eviroment.and ask about a van load of trees and bushes as its there department.some things have to have this to stop diseases and micro organisums.some species are banned full stop.Im not saying he can or he cant.just he is best off checking.to possibly save himself a load of greaf.
I've bought seeds rom the UK, both brought them over and had them sent by a seed company, have also bought seed potatos in, all no problem. I know you can bring plants and trees into the EU as there are many garden centres in France that do a good trade with people coming over for day trips
Old Oct 4th 2008, 6:14 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=mikelincs;6843296]I've bought seeds rom the UK, both brought them over and had them sent by a seed company, have also bought seed potatos in, all no problem. I know you can bring plants and trees into the EU as there are many garden centres in France that do a good trade with people coming over for day trips[/QUOT

yes but the garden centre may hold the health cert and certs of origen. EU.you cant just turn up with any old plants and trees.the laws are more complex than bringing you pet over.the conciquences could be like if you bring a beast in with foot and mouth.ask mitz he was a customs officer I think ,so he may know.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:59 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nosherlot

Can't you buy fruit trees in one of the Castilian cities? Particularly in the Castilla-Leon area they regularly have winter lows below -10.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
I asked, and I was told, movement within the EU needs no papers. There are a couple of plants that are not allowed into Spain. They may be listed on the Free Beer thread.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Galicia on the north west coast. When we moved here I purchased cherry, apple, orange, walnut (about 12 fruit trees altogether) from our local supermarket - Hyper Halley. They cost about 10 euros each and they are all still alive, despite a very hard frost the first winter.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 5:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=betris;6844723
yes but the garden centre may hold the health cert and certs of origen. EU.you cant just turn up with any old plants and trees.the laws are more complex than bringing you pet over.the conciquences could be like if you bring a beast in with foot and mouth.ask mitz he was a customs officer I think ,so he may know.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes you can.. I've seen small plants being bought on markets in the Canary Isles, with a notice saying it is fully legal to take these plants into the UK, they had no labels or any ident on them, also bulbs as well.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

not being very clued up on gardening, can daffodils, crocus, snowdrops etc. be successfully grown? Don't think I've seen daffodils in Spain
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
not being very clued up on gardening, can daffodils, crocus, snowdrops etc. be successfully grown? Don't think I've seen daffodils in Spain
Yes they can BUT, and it's a big BUT, they are not reliable to flower in following years because, daffodils especially, need a period of very cold weather to start them into growth. Here on the costas they do sell the bulbs, and they will flower but not at the expected times for the UK, but we don't get very cold weather to start them into growt, they do grow the following year, bu appear at vey unusual times for daffodils. Think about Freesis, in the UK they are frost tender and flower in July, here they usually start into growth in early December, and are in flower in February/March.
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes they can BUT, and it's a big BUT, they are not reliable to flower in following years because, daffodils especially, need a period of very cold weather to start them into growth. Here on the costas they do sell the bulbs, and they will flower but not at the expected times for the UK, but we don't get very cold weather to start them into growt, they do grow the following year, bu appear at vey unusual times for daffodils. Think about Freesis, in the UK they are frost tender and flower in July, here they usually start into growth in early December, and are in flower in February/March.
thanks Mike. I'm not sure what are Freesis...are they bulbs? Would you recommend bringing any other bulbs from the UK?
Old Oct 5th 2008, 11:53 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
thanks Mike. I'm not sure what are Freesis...are they bulbs? Would you recommend bringing any other bulbs from the UK?
Yes they are bulbs. You can get pretty much any bulbs here though so unless you see any special ones, the daffodils are usually only the normal type and not the unusual ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.