Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bringing a car from UK/vandalism of car

Bringing a car from UK/vandalism of car

Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future
Default Bringing a car from UK/vandalism of car

I am contemplating bringing a car over from Blighty and I have a few questions...

As far as I can make out about Spanish law - it seems that as I am working and living here, that I am unable to drive a UK registered car here - I have to wait about a month until all the paperwork is complete and the vehicle it is registered here. However, if I was only here so many weeks per year and still legally resident on the UK, I could quite happily drive my UK registered car here - can anyone confirm this - is this correct? What are the chances/consequences of getting found out if I drove around anyway for that month? (I live on the outskirts of Barcelona).

Secondly, my question is about vandalism and UK number plates...

Is it common for cars with registration plates from other countries to be vandalised? Only yesterday I was warned by a local person whilst discussing my plans with them, and also recently when I was in the centre of Barcelona I saw a German car with its poor, German owner taping plastic sheeting to his rear windscreen and both passenger side windows as they had been smashed in. Is this a common occourance?

I have no off road parking - another issue in Barcelona, so the vandalism issue and the chance of being questionned about why I have a UK registered car here are much greater than if I had a garage or off road space!

I am thinking about asking around to see if I can borrow or rent a space to put the car for a month until the paperwork is complete - it might be safer!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 8:59 am
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bringing a car from UK/vandalism of car

fF it were me I'd be buying a Spanish car instead of bringing yours over from the UK. The chances of a RHD, Brit-plated car surviving unscathed in the mean streets of Barcelona where you have no off-road parking are...nil.
Buy a beat up old Seat instead
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

Its a small, nippy, perfect for parking in a city LHD SMART car, not worth much either which is why i want to bring it over!

I have looked at buying the same thing here - but the prices are ridiculous!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

I had a fabulous meal at the cafe on the beach in Gava this summer. Sorry for blowing its cover - it´s a real gem. That hotel looked a bit posh for us though, maybe next year.

Can´t comment on the car though, we thought of taking our scooter to Barca but witnessed 4 scooter accidents in the first 8 hours!

Good luck,
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

I agree - Gava has some pretty nice eateries down at the beach - 'Gava Mar' is a bit like south beach in the US, a neverending prom that is full of roller bladers and joggers... A place to people watch if your into that kind of thing!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarleon
I am contemplating bringing a car over from Blighty and I have a few questions...

As far as I can make out about Spanish law - it seems that as I am working and living here, that I am unable to drive a UK registered car here - I have to wait about a month until all the paperwork is complete and the vehicle it is registered here. However, if I was only here so many weeks per year and still legally resident on the UK, I could quite happily drive my UK registered car here - can anyone confirm this - is this correct? What are the chances/consequences of getting found out if I drove around anyway for that month? (I live on the outskirts of Barcelona).

Is it common for cars with registration plates from other countries to be vandalised? Only yesterday I was warned by a local person whilst discussing my plans with them, and also recently when I was in the centre of Barcelona I saw a German car with its poor, German owner taping plastic sheeting to his rear windscreen and both passenger side windows as they had been smashed in. Is this a common occourance?

I have no off road parking - another issue in Barcelona, so the vandalism issue and the chance of being questionned about why I have a UK registered car here are much greater than if I had a garage or off road space!

I am thinking about asking around to see if I can borrow or rent a space to put the car for a month until the paperwork is complete - it might be safer!
If you are here for more than 183 days in a year, then you are classed as a Spanish resident, so that your car MUST be changed to Spanish plates. Doesn't matter is you still have UK address, over the 183 days you are classed as resident here, just check the free beer thread and do a forum search for UK cars, re registering etc, there are hundreds of threads all telling you the facts.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarleon

Never heard of foriegn cars being targeted for theft, yes you should register your car after six months but many dont , if you choose not to you will have to use a Spanish based insurance company as most UK companies wont insure abroad for longer than 3 month.