Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brexit Steering group

Brexit Steering group

Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Brexit Steering group

Hi all,
According to a survey there are a lot more British Expats (as opposed to just travellers) living in Spain as opposed to Portugal. Are any of you permanent British Expats in Spain forming a Brexit Steering group to help PM Boris Johnson get Brexit done in a way that would be amicable to most?
Thank you.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brexit Steering group

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Hi all,
According to a survey there are a lot more British Expats (as opposed to just travellers) living in Spain as opposed to Portugal. Are any of you permanent British Expats in Spain forming a Brexit Steering group to help PM Boris Johnson get Brexit done in a way that would be amicable to most?
Thank you.
You are joking, of course you are Brexshit is the worst thing that could happen and will happen to U.K. for generations to come. In every sense a disaster!
I would welcome a steaming group to prepare for rejoining the EU EVEN THOUGH THE DEAL WE WOULD GET WOULD BE MUCH WORSE THAN WE NOW HAVE. It will have to happen to save what will be left of the English economy by the time we are allowed back.
Scotland, Wales and Ireland will prosper without the drag of the English and rejoin much sooner.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
You are joking, of course you are Brexshit is the worst thing that could happen and will happen to U.K. for generations to come. In every sense a disaster!
I would welcome a steaming group to prepare for rejoining the EU EVEN THOUGH THE DEAL WE WOULD GET WOULD BE MUCH WORSE THAN WE NOW HAVE. It will have to happen to save what will be left of the English economy by the time we are allowed back.
Scotland, Wales and Ireland will prosper without the drag of the English and rejoin much sooner.
Well most of Ireland isn't leaving unless you mean Northern Ireland. I'm already used to the € and now we just have to convince people that switching from Cadbury to Milka won't be that bad.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear that the leavers are far more polite than the remainers who always resort to personal insults

Stick with it BlackBeardie
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
It would appear that the leavers are far more polite than the remainers who always resort to personal insults

Stick with it BlackBeardie
This must be a joke? I haven't seen any remainers call leavers 'traitors', or issued death threats to politicians or other people that disagree with them. In my personal experience visiting the UK since the referendum the crazies are definitely on the side of the leavers. I've been told on this forum that I must 'hate my country' for supporting remain, and on a visit to the UK have been physically threatened twice just for suggesting that leaving may have a detrimental effect on the UK economy. A friend has had his windows caved in with bricks for putting a EU flag in the window. I've never seen or heard of any remainers acting that way.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well most of Ireland isn't leaving unless you mean Northern Ireland. I'm already used to the € and now we just have to convince people that switching from Cadbury to Milka won't be that bad.
The odds have now moved to NI voting to join with RI sooner rather than later and Wales will seek the same powers as Scotland to hold a referendum on seceding from the Union
Old Dec 17th 2019, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

The odds have now moved to NI voting to join with RI sooner rather than later and Wales will seek the same powers as Scotland to hold a referendum on seceding from the Union
Would definitely be happy if that happened.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SteveDW
This must be a joke? I haven't seen any remainers call leavers 'traitors', or issued death threats to politicians or other people that disagree with them. In my personal experience visiting the UK since the referendum the crazies are definitely on the side of the leavers. I've been told on this forum that I must 'hate my country' for supporting remain, and on a visit to the UK have been physically threatened twice just for suggesting that leaving may have a detrimental effect on the UK economy. A friend has had his windows caved in with bricks for putting a EU flag in the window. I've never seen or heard of any remainers acting that way.

Now you're joking aren't you.

I, personally, have had death threats for daring to suggest that leaving the EU would ultimately be better for the UK.

I voted leave and have had so much rubbish and lies directed at me by remainers - it's incredible that people can't just accept that others may have a different opinion.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond reputeSteveDW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Now you're joking aren't you.

I, personally, have had death threats for daring to suggest that leaving the EU would ultimately be better for the UK.

I voted leave and have had so much rubbish and lies directed at me by remainers - it's incredible that people can't just accept that others may have a different opinion.
No I'm not joking. Here's just a few of the death threats. Another woman was jailed for 28 days today for threatening and stalking a remain voting MP. There are others. The difference between the behaviour of remainers and leavers has been very different. I've seen some leavers called 'stupid', but after the incoherent and often racist rants they made that was justified. I've never seen anyone voting leave called a traitor by a remain voter.

https://news.sky.com/story/anna-soub...ex-mp-11888427

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/euro...-routine-toxic

Conservative MP Anna Soubry, who received her latest death threat on Monday, said one colleague was guarded by six undercover police, while another decided not to oppose a Brexit bill for fear of reprisals

https://metro.co.uk/2019/04/18/troll...ailed-9257720/

Jarod Kirkman, 51, wrote emails with the subject lines ‘Brexit traitor’ and ‘Brexit loser’ to seven politicians including former cabinet minister Nicky Morgan and Labour’s David Lammy, Westminster Magistrates’ Court heard. They used email addresses such as [email protected] and [email protected] and said things like ‘Your days are f****** numbered b****, death will be swift’.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/12...-police-latest

Barlow admitted sending a letter conveying a threatening message and was sentenced to 12 months in jail at Sheffield Crown Court.

He was also given a 10-year restraining order against Ms Soubry,

Old Dec 17th 2019, 4:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Hi all,
Thank you.
Johnson won't be interested in any opinions of others especially from outside the UK and outside of his coterie of mates. He is taking the UK out of the EU, and it will be preferable to him for it to be as hard a Brexit as he can manage, 'no deal' is his favoured stance, and judgeing from what is appearing in the press that is wha the is working towards, so he will take NO advice, or interest in what effects it might have on Brits living abroad.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 7:14 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

You voted leave yet are happy to live in the E.U.....oh the irony.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

I read this thread with dismay. The original poster asked a sensible straight forward question.

what followed is just more of the diatribe we have all endured for three years regardless of how people voted or thought. The essence of democracy is you have a hard earned vote and can maybe influence the future.

In the run up to the recent UK election, initially I thought the Lib Dems would pick up a lot of votes as people chose not to vote Tory right or Labour left. How wrong was I.

Anyway we cannot change what has happened. We can however try and influence outcomes that affect us expats , especially if there are 300,000 voices( or however many). Instead of beating each other up ( regardless of how they voted) how about channeling the energy into some form of steering group, social media or online government petition?
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

"I've never seen anyone voting leave called a traitor by a remain voter."
Confusing that is, because what is the person being a traitor to?
If it is being a traitor to the "will of the people", then those that voted to leave aren't being traitors, are they? They are holding to what the referendum determined.
A remain voter can be said to be a traitor because they want to go against that aforementioned "will".
A Leaver can't be one, but a Remainer can.
That may be why you don't get remainers calling leavers, traitors, because they can't be one, whereas a remainer can.

Last edited by Mark604; Dec 17th 2019 at 8:22 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

"You voted leave yet are happy to live in the E.U.....oh the irony."
I voted leave and live not in the UK because other EU countries offer a better alternative whilst the UK is in the EU.
My opinion, and take it how you will, is that the UK will become a place to live again once the dust has settled and it is out of the EU.
But whilst it is in the EU, other EU countries are better. That doesn't stop me from voting to leave though, just because I don't live there, but because the UK is in the EU when it can be better out of it.

You don't have to live there, it's not a prerequisite for having a valid opinion, or vote for that matter.
Are you saying that only those that live there should vote? Out of moral grounds or something? They should have a more weighted say? Two votes to our one or something?
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Fantasist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.