British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Brexit Healthcare (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/brexit-healthcare-905745/)

CHRISJK Nov 11th 2017 8:57 pm

Brexit Healthcare

Hi, Just a (not very) quick question. My wife and I are coming to Spain to live before Brexit. We are going to rent a property initially until Brexit has passed, so we know where we stand regarding buying a property, Residency and healthcare when Brexit arrives. My wife will be an UK pensioner when we move , but I have three years to go until I receive my Gov Pension. Its my understanding that my wife will be eligible for fee Spanish Healthcare because she is a Pensioner, and I will also be eligible because I am a Dependant off hers ( so far so good ) Now will I still be eligible after Brexit and will I be able to receive reduced Prescription prices (10% ? ) pre and post Brexit ? Regards , Chris.

MikeJ Nov 11th 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Brexit Healthcare

Unfortunately, there is no answer to the issues around migrating to Spain after Brexit. The only thing that is certain is that it will not be the same or as easy as it is now. If you do intend to make Spain your long-term home then you'd probably be better go under EU free movement rules, apply for residency as soon as possible and get registered into the healthcare system. It is most likely that pre-existing status will continue for expats but new immigrants after Brexit will not find it as straightforward.

Rosemary Nov 11th 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by CHRISJK (Post 12380047)
Hi, Just a (not very) quick question. My wife and I are coming to Spain to live before Brexit. We are going to rent a property initially until Brexit has passed, so we know where we stand regarding buying a property, Residency and healthcare when Brexit arrives. My wife will be an UK pensioner when we move , but I have three years to go until I receive my Gov Pension. Its my understanding that my wife will be eligible for fee Spanish Healthcare because she is a Pensioner, and I will also be eligible because I am a Dependant off hers ( so far so good ) Now will I still be eligible after Brexit and will I be able to receive reduced Prescription prices (10% ? ) pre and post Brexit ? Regards , Chris.

Nobody knows what will happen, no crystal balls.

Rosemary

CHRISJK Nov 11th 2017 11:13 pm

Hi Rosemary... I was just after an Opinion for Post Brexit..... and a fact for pre Brexit. IE will I get my prescriptions at a vastly reduced price before Brexit, for being a Dependent of my wife. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.... Regards Chris

tebo53 Nov 12th 2017 4:53 am

Originally Posted by CHRISJK (Post 12380102)
Hi Rosemary... I was just after an Opinion for Post Brexit..... and a fact for pre Brexit. IE will I get my prescriptions at a vastly reduced price before Brexit, for being a Dependent of my wife. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.... Regards Chris

If you are on your wife's S1 healthcare as a dependant you will get your prescriptions at the reduced rates. Those reduced rates can depend though on what income you have and where in Spain you will be living.

Post Brexit.......? Who knows.

Steve

KieronF Nov 12th 2017 9:07 am

The healthcare agreement with Spain is not part of our membership of the EU - it is negotiated separately between the two governments and the indications are that both are keen to continue with the present arrangements - that came direct from Lloyd Milen, our Consul General in Barcelona

lurchio Nov 12th 2017 9:20 am

Originally Posted by KieronF (Post 12380250)
The healthcare agreement with Spain is not part of our membership of the EU - it is negotiated separately between the two governments and the indications are that both are keen to continue with the present arrangements - that came direct from Lloyd Milen, our Consul General in Barcelona

Yes, agreed. BUT carefully worded press releases and documents indicate that people CURRENTLY subject to the reciprocal agreement will see it continue after Brexit, the question remains as regards the 'up and comers'who won't hit S1 age until after Brexit. Was a specific point made or queried regarding this aspect?

bobd22 Nov 12th 2017 9:27 am

There is also Brexit debate on this which I believe has been agreed so long as an overall Brexit agreement is agreed upon. However spain may have a reciprocal agreement but what about other EU countries? Hence why it must be dealt with in Brexit negotiations. I actually believe that as far as our government is concerned the Ehic and s1 are one and the same thing? We know that not to be the case but do our ministers? I say this because I attended a government ran Ehic workshop and apart from those actually working within the Ehic department most hadn't a clue re the difference in the two things.

KieronF Nov 12th 2017 9:47 am

Originally Posted by lurchio (Post 12380253)
Yes, agreed. BUT carefully worded press releases and documents indicate that people CURRENTLY subject to the reciprocal agreement will see it continue after Brexit, the question remains as regards the 'up and comers'who won't hit S1 age until after Brexit. Was a specific point made or queried regarding this aspect?

It was stressed repeatedly that, as far as the UK and Spain are concerned, there would be no change to the current arrangements in the future. The healthcare agreement should be looked at as a completely separate matter to our leaving the EU.

lurchio Nov 12th 2017 9:52 am

Thank you for your answer. Heres hoping!

stevesainty Nov 13th 2017 9:00 am

We live in Comundad de Valencia and we receive our prescriptions free of charge. We have done since January 2016.

spainrico Nov 13th 2017 10:01 am

'Prescriptions
Spain uses a co-payment system (information in Spanish) where residents are required to pay a percentage of the cost of their prescription medication. If you are a pensioner and have paid more than you should have for prescription medication, speak with your pharmacists or local health centre to confirm the process in your region to claim a refund.

The table below provides an approximate basic overview of what residents are required to contribute:

Annual income Social situation % of contribution Capped at
Less than €18,000 Working age 40% No cap
State pensioner 10% €8/month
Between €18,000 and €100,000 Working age 50% No cap
State pensioner 10% €18/month
Over €100,000 Working age 60% No cap
State pensioner 60% €60/month'

more here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...#prescriptions

Fred James Nov 13th 2017 11:51 am

There are different rules in Valencia which is probably why stevesainty does not have to pay. Pensioners with taxable incomes below €1000/month are exempt.

davidinspain Nov 13th 2017 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12380948)
There are different rules in Valencia which is probably why stevesainty does not have to pay. Pensioners with taxable incomes below €1000/month are exempt.

I still pay 10%?:(

Fred James Nov 13th 2017 3:47 pm

Maybe you earn too much!! Have you submitted regular tax returns?