Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE

BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE

Old Feb 9th 2018, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREXIT EVENT - ALICANTE

See here for update on voting rights

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...-right-to-vote
Old Feb 21st 2018, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The British Embassy in Madrid issued this press release today:

Town hall led Consulate talks reach nearly 2000 Brits

'Consul urges residents to check residency status and get information from the original source.

British Consul Sarah-Jane Morris visited nine towns in the Alicante province over the past month to update British nationals on the progress of the citizens’ rights part of the Brexit negotiations and to answer questions. Mrs Morris also reminded British nationals of the benefits of registering as a resident in Spain, both with the national police (“residencia”) and with their local town hall (“padron”).

Attendance across the towns was high, the Consul having reached nearly 2000 people. Representatives of Brexpats in Spain pressure group were also on the panel at the meetings, as were local mayors and councillors. Various topics came up during the question and answer sessions, especially regarding healthcare, pensions and residency rights and obligations. On residency rights, all speakers were united in encouraging British nationals to check they are properly registered in Spain, and to get registered if they haven’t already done so.

Consul Sarah-Jane Morris said, ‘I would advise anyone who is concerned about Brexit to make sure they always go to the original source for information. Everything that has been discussed and agreed so far can be found on the gov.uk website – it’s easy to check and sign up for email alerts. I also picked up that a lot of people are still not clear about their residency status in Spain in terms of renewing their residency and padron. As I said in the meetings, I will follow this up with the relevant local authorities and we will continue to publish up-to-date accurate information on our gov.uk website and Brits in Spain Facebook page.’

The number of British people registered on the padron, the local register held by the town halls which is used to allocate funding from central government, has been in decline over the past few years. Mrs Morris stated that despite the one million homes in Spain owned by British citizens, less than 300,000 are registered on the padron nationally. Town hall representatives welcomed attendees at the meetings to come and check their registration status at their local town hall office.

The Consul finished the meetings by reminding people to check for updates about the Brexit negotiations from the official sources – namely the Gov.uk website (www.gov.uk/world/brexit). Videos and interviews recorded at the recent meetings will soon be posted on the Brits In Spain Facebook page.'
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

This of course is just my view.I attended the meeting in Alfaz because I believe that we shouldn't complain unless we take the trouble to listen.This was the nearest venue for me but,quite honestly it would have been more convenient to have gone to the Benidorm meeting.Who on earth chose "the Forum" for this?OK it has a large hall but surely there is SOMEWHERE more central which would have been a better choice.Correct me please,but I think there are more British residents in Albir rather than Alfaz & there is a regular bus service to take you there.Instead,without transport,you make your way on foot to that venue which is up hill most of the way,but fortunately you can have a couple of rest stops as there are benches in 2 places.Of course an audience of us oldies was guaranteed(it is a retirement complex)& there was even a man who had a business who was able to come.I live in Alfaz but sat next to residents in Forum so I was able to have a nice chat about all the many functions,all nationalities,they can attend there.The Consul gave a very pleasant speech,said she was available to take private questions afterwards & after a bit more than an hour of questions & answers suggested we had perhaps enough to digest & closed the session.One point raised obviously concerned the continuation of free health care for pensioners which received the usual answer,but the Consul was honest saying what we all know.However I had a little smirk to myself as we all had been handed a leaflet at the entrance about private health care post Brexit from an Insurance company.Fortunately I personally don't think most of us will need their services.And I think for this exercise I might have done the number of steps suggested we do each day.