Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Brazil > Argentina > Now Spain! Help!

Brazil > Argentina > Now Spain! Help!

Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

JimClare is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brazil > Argentina > Now Spain! Help!

Hello....

We're just in the process of working out a move to Spain. We actually left the UK in Sept '08 and have had a wonderful time living in Brazil for a year, followed by Argentina where we are now. Although we'd wanted to come back to the UK soon, we're not looking forward to the costs or change of life. Spain has been growing as a resolution - not so far away from friends and family in the UK compared to South America, but still get to enjoy the fantastic Hispanic culture! So, June or July is the aim - and we're beginning a plan now to come over!

Granada (big place I know) seems be stuck in heads as we hear it's very beautiful, and Clare's been there before and loved it. Scenery and space is a major factor as we've been spoilt for this in S America. Clare speaks Spanish well now, mine is pigeon but I'll get there eventually. A few expats in locality will be good, but we've made the warmest friends with Argentines and Brazilians and hope the English stereotype doesn't get in the way of our doing so with the locals in Spain. Work is not a problem, as our business is UK based - we just need a good internet connection.

We'd like to rent somewhere that has some land around us (keeping the two cats and dog happy!), and we'll get a car. On the outskirts of a town I guess, a stroll in would be convenient. 2 bedrooms minimum so we can accommodate friends and family. Cost wise, around 800 euros per month top limit. First off I expect we'll need to get somewhere for up to a month as a base to find somewhere for the longer term. (ps. oh I'd love a golf course not too far away).

We'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations...

1. Where to live in Granada, or are we missing a trick elsewhere?
2. Do you know places available for a long term let or initially (not more than a month hopefully) for us to find our feet? We've found the Kyero website, do you recommend another to search?
3. Is it possible to have what we want and not be too far from Granada city (or another)? Is the city worth being close to for when we want to indulge in some city life?
4. Is 800 euros per month top limit realistic for what I've described?
5. Is a typical lease 9-11 months?
6. You might have some advice on a point we've not considered, please advise away!

A little bit about us: ages 30 and 33, Clare is an ex school teacher but now works with me in my web design business. We've really been enjoying our out of the norm life living in new places for the last 18 months. We're a soft touch when it comes to animals, hence our three strong zoo collection of two cats and a mutt we've acquired since we've been away. Did I mention golf? I really need to play some more, my job is akin to spending too much time in the matrix!

Thanks in advance!

Jamie + Clare
Old Apr 9th 2010, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brazil > Argentina > Now Spain! Help!

Originally Posted by JimClare
Hello....

We're just in the process of working out a move to Spain. We actually left the UK in Sept '08 and have had a wonderful time living in Brazil for a year, followed by Argentina where we are now. Although we'd wanted to come back to the UK soon, we're not looking forward to the costs or change of life. Spain has been growing as a resolution - not so far away from friends and family in the UK compared to South America, but still get to enjoy the fantastic Hispanic culture! So, June or July is the aim - and we're beginning a plan now to come over!

Granada (big place I know) seems be stuck in heads as we hear it's very beautiful, and Clare's been there before and loved it. Scenery and space is a major factor as we've been spoilt for this in S America. Clare speaks Spanish well now, mine is pigeon but I'll get there eventually. A few expats in locality will be good, but we've made the warmest friends with Argentines and Brazilians and hope the English stereotype doesn't get in the way of our doing so with the locals in Spain. Work is not a problem, as our business is UK based - we just need a good internet connection.

We'd like to rent somewhere that has some land around us (keeping the two cats and dog happy!), and we'll get a car. On the outskirts of a town I guess, a stroll in would be convenient. 2 bedrooms minimum so we can accommodate friends and family. Cost wise, around 800 euros per month top limit. First off I expect we'll need to get somewhere for up to a month as a base to find somewhere for the longer term. (ps. oh I'd love a golf course not too far away).

We'd really appreciate any advice and recommendations...

1. Where to live in Granada, or are we missing a trick elsewhere?
2. Do you know places available for a long term let or initially (not more than a month hopefully) for us to find our feet? We've found the Kyero website, do you recommend another to search?
3. Is it possible to have what we want and not be too far from Granada city (or another)? Is the city worth being close to for when we want to indulge in some city life?
4. Is 800 euros per month top limit realistic for what I've described?
5. Is a typical lease 9-11 months?
6. You might have some advice on a point we've not considered, please advise away!

A little bit about us: ages 30 and 33, Clare is an ex school teacher but now works with me in my web design business. We've really been enjoying our out of the norm life living in new places for the last 18 months. We're a soft touch when it comes to animals, hence our three strong zoo collection of two cats and a mutt we've acquired since we've been away. Did I mention golf? I really need to play some more, my job is akin to spending too much time in the matrix!

Thanks in advance!

Jamie + Clare

Hi, welcome; you've mentioned Granada a lot, I assume you mean the city (sorry if I'm missing the obvious, I speed-read yr post!) ... where were you in Argentina, both because i love the place & also because the scenery/weather combo obviously varies both there and in Spain so what kind of climate & actual landscape/surroundings you're looking for might be easier to help with if you can be a bit more specific.
Of course if you're coming anyway, on a month's rental somewhere, you'll be giving yourselves a good way of driving around & making choices. Several on here would probably advocate renting short term, deciding for/against the area, renting somewhere else short term etc etc until you've pinned down your likeliest spot.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Fiona... We live in Cordoba in Argentina, on the lake in San Roque, we never tire of the view! But it's just so far from family out here.

Orgiva keeps coming up as a possible place to live, seems a fair halfway between the city and the cost, and looks very nice in itself. Searching around today I found a depressing article on the spiralling costs of general living in Spain. Is this accurate? Take a look here:

http://moortimes.com/pages/articles/...toblighty.html
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JimClare
Thanks Fiona... We live in Cordoba in Argentina, on the lake in San Roque, we never tire of the view! But it's just so far from family out here.

Orgiva keeps coming up as a possible place to live, seems a fair halfway between the city and the cost, and looks very nice in itself. Searching around today I found a depressing article on the spiralling costs of general living in Spain. Is this accurate? Take a look here:

http://moortimes.com/pages/articles/...toblighty.html
Before the furore starts
It depends where you live. Its clear to me that reading posts over the years that its cheaper for instance here where I live than it is down in the CDS.

People have left here to go back to the UK because there is huge unemployment in Spain .... it's having its own crisis. Plus for those earning in £, the rate of exchange has dropped a lot. When we came the €/£ was 1.44 .... now its around 1.12. People lose a lot of income through that.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Before the furore starts
It depends where you live. Its clear to me that reading posts over the years that its cheaper for instance here where I live than it is down in the CDS.

People have left here to go back to the UK because there is huge unemployment in Spain .... it's having its own crisis. Plus for those earning in £, the rate of exchange has dropped a lot. When we came the €/£ was 1.44 .... now its around 1.12. People lose a lot of income through that.
Mitz's right that there may be a few leap aboard the discussion about prices, jobs, pros & cons of Spain vs wherever. I'd say that not only the exchange rate & to some extent precisely where you base yourselves make a difference, it's also down to whether you rely on an earned income, and whether that earned income relies on international custom/trade or solely expat/UK based turnover.
As to Orgiva, only been once - the Alpujarras have a name for alternative living but I can speak only about one day's visit four years ago so what's that worth!
Are you looking to be town based? Village? Country? Do you have schooling to consider (sorry if I've forgotten already - vieja y rubia!)
Old Apr 15th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Oh dear, since posting that article I had deeper look around the forums. Seems a sensitive subject!

So, nope no schooling to consider. We just want some lovely scenery, some space for cats and us which we've all become accustomed to living on the lake here, some local shops or an odd restaurant near by, and perhaps some busier life not too far a drive away. We seem to be stuck on the Granada region. I've seen a couple of posts about La Herradura that sound interesting, quiet rural, but with Nerja not too far away for some busier night life.

Our challenge seems to be as we've timed it, a short term rent in June/July is the peak time so the most expensive. Maybe we'll try to get a wriggle on to see if we can find somewhere in a couple of weeks rather than a month!