British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Bought a field in the Lake District (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/bought-field-lake-district-937058/)

VFR Feb 9th 2021 8:10 pm

Bought a field in the Lake District

Hi (or should I say hola)
Nice field with a shack that was used by a shepherd many years ago (so the agent said) real nice views, well views to die for (stupid saying I know) but it is what most say.
No water or electric but can live off grid (how cool is that) and all I need to do is bore a hole to get water & put up a couple of solar panels and life is good right ?

Permission ?, you mean I cannot build a house in "my field", cannot simply bore a hole for water and take what I need ?
Cannot understand this "cannot do this & that" as I have read the book Oranges and Lemons ( Tea & Scones) and it looks easy ?

missile Feb 9th 2021 8:46 pm

Re: Bought a field in the Lake District

:goodpost: very droll

Rotor Feb 9th 2021 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 12969962)
Hi (or should I say hola)
Nice field with a shack that was used by a shepherd many years ago (so the agent said) real nice views, well views to die for (stupid saying I know) but it is what most say.
No water or electric but can live off grid (how cool is that) and all I need to do is bore a hole to get water & put up a couple of solar panels and life is good right ?

Permission ?, you mean I cannot build a house in "my field", cannot simply bore a hole for water and take what I need ?
Cannot understand this "cannot do this & that" as I have read the book Oranges and Lemons ( Tea & Scones) and it looks easy ?

Nah, you can do what ever you want :rofl:.

Fred James Feb 9th 2021 8:50 pm

Not in Spain you can’t. You cannot build a house in your field without permission. This is Spain, get used to it. I don’t think it would be any easier in the Lake District.

Dxf Feb 9th 2021 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12969972)
Not in Spain you can’t. You cannot build a house in your field without permission. This is Spain, get used to it. I don’t think it would be any easier in the Lake District.

Hola,

I disagree; there are two million illegal houses in Spain which has a stupid law of administrative silence where after six years of the law doing nothing, your illegal house can't be pulled down.

Where I live the number of new houses going up during this pandemic because "the town hall will never know" is phenomenal

Davexf

Fred James Feb 10th 2021 7:06 am

You know that and I know that but it does not alter the fact that it is illegal.

For that reason I cannot recommend that course of action.

Any more posts suggesting that he should do that will be deleted as that is against the forum rules.

DLC Feb 10th 2021 7:29 am

I think the original post was more of a parody post more than anything else.

And as for building a house without permission there's also no route to regularising it after six years (except possibly in Andalucia), they wouldn't have the certificates required to connect utilities so they'd have to illegally connect them or live off-grid meaning that they would need to build a sceptic tank or something which also needs building permission or it would be something else which is illegal, they also couldn't get on the padrón or get an address and they can be fined but that doesn't mean it's legal after being fined and they could be repeatedly fined. And maybe the town council could decide you've been there five years instead of six. And if they're Brits that'll probably be enough to get them thrown out of Spain. Apart from that, building a house without permission is a bulletproof plan.

Moses2013 Feb 10th 2021 8:09 am

Well many have tried, but even that famous hotel will probably be demolished once Covid is over.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...41ae91202e.png

Rotor Feb 10th 2021 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12970105)
Well many have tried, but even that famous hotel will probably be demolished once Covid is over.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...41ae91202e.png

Its bizarre how many illegal places get built , there really must be a genetic problem with construction company owners in Spain.

keithBT Feb 10th 2021 11:50 am

Where is the hotel pictured for demolition ?

Fred James Feb 10th 2021 11:53 am

In Almeria, in the Cabo de Gata National park.

Moses2013 Feb 10th 2021 12:03 pm

This case went on for many years and was basically illegal from the very beginning.

The ecologist organisation has announced it has lodged a complaint with the Public Prosecutor for the Environment and Town Planning against Salvador Hernandez, the current mayor, and his predecessor Cristobal Fernandez. Both mayors, Greenpeace claims, could be guilty of disobedience and corrupt practice for failing to change the status of the land the hotel stands on and not insisting on its demolition.

The hotel is illegal and there is no chance of it being legalised and there are a number of high court sentences to this respect, however ecologists claim the mayors have blatantly disobeyed the courts.

“It’s incredible to see how those in charge of Carboneras Council fail to respect the most basic principles of a democracy, ignoring even the orders of the high courts. Having run out of administrative processes, Greenpeace has no choice but to take the matter to the criminal courts to have the illegal hotel demolished,” Greenpeace lawyer Jose Manuel Marraco said.

The hotel, promoted by a company called Azata del Sol, was the first stage in a plan to build a massive resort including the obligatory golf course plus residential development. In a natural park and on a protected beach it should never have gotten off the ground, but slimy local politicians helped to insure that the hotel was largely built before higher authorities put a stop to the work.

The Supreme Court has ruled the hotel is illegal because it is within 100 metres of the beach, and thus falls foul of the coastal law (ley de costas). This decision cannot be appealed, so the hotel will have to come down. That might take a decade, perhaps more, who knows. In the meantime this monstrous structure will sit there as a monument to greed and mindless development. There’s plenty of it on the Spanish coast, but at least this one was stopped.

teuchterpete Feb 10th 2021 2:50 pm

We lived on an Island off the west coast of Scotland for quite a few years, and the planning laws were very restrictive about building new houses, You would be surprised just how many people " out in the sticks" were living in "Sheds!"

Notdunroamin Feb 11th 2021 3:19 pm

Endemic bribery and corruption coupled with gullible buyers make for a toxic mix.

philat98 Feb 16th 2021 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12970669)
Endemic bribery and corruption coupled with gullible buyers make for a toxic mix.

The same thing happens in Italy. I dont understand who is paying? I assume the land owner and the builder make money and the tax payer loses. May be they default on bank loans?