Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bore hole water charges

Bore hole water charges

Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

swinbc will become famous soon enough
Default Bore hole water charges

I am considering having a bore hole drilled for irrigating my garden. I have had a survey done and confirmed that there is abundant water at 80mtrs depth and expect to be able to extract 6000 ltrs per day should I need that much.

I will want to register the bore hole legally and pay for the water extracted but I am unable to find any information as to what the official charges for the water are? Could anyone advise and confirm what the current cost are and if it is banded by quantity extracted same as the regular water factura?
Old Jul 18th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bore hole water charges

You don't say on your profile or your post whereabouts in Spain you are.

In Andalucia the charge for the water is zero per cubic metre once you have completed the paperwork and paid any fees and fitted an approved , visible meter and registered that with Hidrographia and declared how much you will be likely to use per year. the visible meter allows an official to call without an appointment and check for abuse e.g. irrigating hundreds of agricultural trees off a supposed domestic installation. Whether they do actually do that checking is a moot point. It would be a brave person to affect a farmers livelihood and Spains economy.

In your application you have to say why you need a bore hole. e.g. No mains connection and for household use 365 days per year. My gut feeling is that in Andalucia an application for watering a garden would not be approved especially if you are mains connected.

I would be sceptical of a "survey" that says there is abundant water though I do concede that water divining does work and is amazingly accurate in terms of depth. Our diviner predicted 39 metres after mysteriously stomping his feet. Actual was 40 metres. That wasn't a typical depth in our area either for an educated guess! The problem is that overuse of an aquifer by any bore hole accessing it reduces available water. One fellow farmer installed infrastructure to irrigate his entire hillside . First year it delivered prodigous amounts each and every day. Now it is down to a miserly 6 cubic metres.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

swinbc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Bore hole water charges

I live in Catalunya where nothing is free, Have now found out that we would have to pay on a sliding scale the amount that we would normally pay for what they term as "canon" on our awater factura (a tax which makes up about 1/2 of my current water bill).
I have calculated that this will make the pay back period for well to between 7-10 years Hmmmmmmmmmmm