British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Borders will reopen soon (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/borders-will-reopen-soon-933197/)

maverik Jun 14th 2020 10:43 am

Borders will reopen soon

https://english.elpais.com/spanish_n...al-chiefs.html

MEL & JOHN Jun 25th 2020 1:29 pm

Re: Borders will reopen soon

Hi all, is the border between Portugal and Spain now open ? If so do you think the car hire firms will allow the cars to cross the border into Spain?

Thanks Mel

Ex Adeladie Jun 25th 2020 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN (Post 12871907)
Hi all, is the border between Portugal and Spain now open ? If so do you think the car hire firms will allow the cars to cross the border into Spain?

Thanks Mel

The border between Spain and Portugal is closed until 1st July (not sure what time).

keithBT Jun 25th 2020 2:33 pm

I understand the Guadiana Bridge and all other crossings will re-open on the 1st July to tourists and NOT before. This was Portugal's decision not Spain. HTH.

Dxf Jun 25th 2020 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ex Adeladie (Post 12871945)
The border between Spain and Portugal is closed until 1st July (not sure what time).

Hola

Usually the time is midnight (between 30th June and 1st July or one minute past midnight on the 1st July

Davexf

Jon-Bxl Jun 26th 2020 7:06 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53177282

Airbridges to be decided maybe as soon as Monday

Jon

MikeJ Jun 26th 2020 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 12871951)
Hola

Usually the time is midnight (between 30th June and 1st July or one minute past midnight on the 1st July

Davexf

Is that PT or ES midnight?

[I would guess that as it is a PT decision it would be PT time, but who knows for sure?]

MikeJ Jun 26th 2020 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 12872228)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53177282

Airbridges to be decided maybe as soon as Monday

Jon

Un fortunately PT is not yet included because of a 2nd peak around Lisbon. Therefore transit via Faro (or specifically return to UK via Faro) will be a problem atm..To be sure fly via Seville (or Jerez if it is open) and car hire from there.

EsuriJohn Jun 27th 2020 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12872359)
Un fortunately PT is not yet included because of a 2nd peak around Lisbon. Therefore transit via Faro (or specifically return to UK via Faro) will be a problem atm..To be sure fly via Seville (or Jerez if it is open) and car hire from there.

There are two reported hotspots on the Algarve, Albafarue and Cabanas have been mentioned.

MEL & JOHN Jul 1st 2020 10:38 am

Thank you for the replies to my question. Would love to get back to our Esuri home and the flights and car hire are very reasonable but I am concerned that if there is a spike somewhere the border may close again. Will the border be manned and I wonder if Spain will be happy to allow cars rented from Faro in ? Having said that flights to Seville are at good prices too. The government's stance is still only essential travel and although we think a beer in Laguna Square and at the CE shop/cafe is vitally important not sure Boris would agree. Happy to be there but it is the close contact with others on the flight for myself and our family is a worry but we do need to support the airlines and the Ayamonte businesses.....just my witterings !!

MikeJ Jul 1st 2020 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN (Post 12874605)
Thank you for the replies to my question. Would love to get back to our Esuri home and the flights and car hire are very reasonable but I am concerned that if there is a spike somewhere the border may close again. Will the border be manned and I wonder if Spain will be happy to allow cars rented from Faro in ? Having said that flights to Seville are at good prices too. The government's stance is still only essential travel and although we think a beer in Laguna Square and at the CE shop/cafe is vitally important not sure Boris would agree. Happy to be there but it is the close contact with others on the flight for myself and our family is a worry but we do need to support the airlines and the Ayamonte businesses.....just my witterings !!

Currently Portugal is not on the "air bridge" list and nobody can say when this will change. As long as its traffic light is Red you will have to quarantine when you fly back from Faro. A couple of my friends have recently returned from Esuri via Faro and are in lockdown atm. Maybe safer to fly to Seville, it's not much longer to drive. Word of advice: don't get a flight that arrives late evening and it is delayed slightly you may find the car hire desks are closed - happened to my son and he had to wait in Seville airport until 8.00 when they reopened 😡

MEL & JOHN Jul 2nd 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 12874690)
Currently Portugal is not on the "air bridge" list and nobody can say when this will change. As long as its traffic light is Red you will have to quarantine when you fly back from Faro. A couple of my friends have recently returned from Esuri via Faro and are in lockdown atm. Maybe safer to fly to Seville, it's not much longer to drive. Word of advice: don't get a flight that arrives late evening and it is delayed slightly you may find the car hire desks are closed - happened to my son and he had to wait in Seville airport until 8.00 when they reopened 😡

Thanks Mike, appreciate the heads up on late arrival at Seville as that would not have crossed my mind

Rita_ Jul 2nd 2020 8:23 pm

Good news for anyone flying into Faro. We flew in this morning, cleared the airport in 30 minutes ( our rental car was covered in cling film with a note saying it was sterile). Absolutely nothing on the bridge, shopped in Lidl and 90% of people wearing masks and down to isla canela. Our pool had people in hazmat spraying the pool area with disinfectant during seista. No sun loungers though. So looks like spain well prepared (at least in our block) and easy to get here. Lovely to be back!

boatwench Jul 5th 2020 10:19 am

Just a quick question on this thread. I know of the form to fill out for arriving in Spain with health details, is there an equivalent for Portugal? Many thanks

Margaret and Derek Jul 5th 2020 5:26 pm

We ventured over the bridge for the first time since lockdown, went for a walk on the Monte Gordo boardwalk, hardly anyone wearing face masks and was very busy, don’t seem to be treating it very seriously.