Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights - Is there a "Best" time?

Booking Flights - Is there a "Best" time?

Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Booking Flights - Is there a "Best" time?

Looking at Autumn flights back to the UK which Flybe and they are looking quite expensive for October (not half term) should we be booking now in case they go up or delay in case they come down.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Booking Flights - Is there a "Best" time?

Normally the earlier you book the cheaper it is as when seats get booked they go up, having said that, you never know ???? I would book early myself but if prices go down??????
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience short haul flights tend to be cheaper the longer the time between purchase and flying. Before we moved over here full time I often used be at work had a fancy to pop over to Spain the next weekend. I would try the usual flight sites. No 99p tickets to be found then, a couple of hundred quid at least.

Long haul on the other hand there do tend to be bargains the closer you get to flight time. Having said that we've just booked returns to Singapore for next winter. Given the amount of tax and surcharges paid in the total fare even if the ticket price halved it wouldn't make a huge difference to the total cost

Always a bit of a gamble.. I guess when you see a price you are happy with go for it and don't look again.

Last edited by bob_day; Jul 3rd 2011 at 5:39 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I would be cautious about booking too far ahead - Monarch have just totally messed up my travel plans for early December. I had booked a flight a couple of months ago to the UK with Easyjet and a flight back with Monarch for 3 days later - because I wanted an afternoon flight and Monarch are the only airline that fly to Malaga from Manchester in the afternoon. Lo and behold, the week before last I got an email from Monarch to say that they had altered the time of my flight to 7.45 am! My option was to cancel (but no other airline had a suitable flight) or change the date which I have had to do, to the previous day, so I am now having to fly out on a Friday and back on the Sunday, hardly worth the bother. If you wait until nearer the time to book, you are less likely to be hit by such operational changes.

I have heard it said on TV travel programmes and in travel articles that the optimum time to book is 8 or 9 weeks in advance.

Speaking of high prices, flights for Summer 2012 have recently gone on sale with some airlines and the prices are absolutely horrendous, for the Malaga - Manchester route at any rate.
Old Jul 3rd 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I would be cautious about booking too far ahead - Monarch have just totally messed up my travel plans for early December. I had booked a flight a couple of months ago to the UK with Easyjet and a flight back with Monarch for 3 days later - because I wanted an afternoon flight and Monarch are the only airline that fly to Malaga from Manchester in the afternoon. Lo and behold, the week before last I got an email from Monarch to say that they had altered the time of my flight to 7.45 am! My option was to cancel (but no other airline had a suitable flight) or change the date which I have had to do, to the previous day, so I am now having to fly out on a Friday and back on the Sunday, hardly worth the bother. If you wait until nearer the time to book, you are less likely to be hit by such operational changes.

I have heard it said on TV travel programmes and in travel articles that the optimum time to book is 8 or 9 weeks in advance.

Speaking of high prices, flights for Summer 2012 have recently gone on sale with some airlines and the prices are absolutely horrendous, for the Malaga - Manchester route at any rate.
I have been looking at East Midlands to Faro for next year and they gone about 20% on the prices for this year. They seem to have hiked the prices now that the up front price has to include the Taxes
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

UK internal flights need booking in adavance as there are huge savings to be made but I find little to be gained from booking UK/Spain flights more than a month or so in advance.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:17 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Cheer up - holiday packages slashed

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/256682
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

There is absolutely a best time to buy, two times in fact...................yesterday and tomorrow

Seriously though the best strategy IMO is to look regularly and buy when the price is acceptable. Sometimes you'll win others you'll lose but on balance you'll not do too badly.

That said it's been suggested that Ryanair, and possibly Easyjet too, analyse price browsing and hike prices according to potential demand rather than actual purchases so if true too frequent browsing could be counter productive.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
That said it's been suggested that Ryanair, and possibly Easyjet too, analyse price browsing and hike prices according to potential demand rather than actual purchases
That is definitely the case & it's not just those 2 airlines but all of them that do it.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by licinius
That is definitely the case & it's not just those 2 airlines but all of them that do it.
I''ll second that ... we recently had an experience with Ryanair where I had searched for flights for my daughter, told her the price, logged in again on my PC to buy them and they'd gone up. We'd heard rumours about price-hikes after browsing, and lo-and-behold, when she logged in on her own laptop, the price she paid was the first price I'd seen earlier that day

Makes it difficult to check out the competition unless you have multiple PC's and user accounts!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I''ll second that ... we recently had an experience with Ryanair where I had searched for flights for my daughter, told her the price, logged in again on my PC to buy them and they'd gone up. We'd heard rumours about price-hikes after browsing, and lo-and-behold, when she logged in on her own laptop, the price she paid was the first price I'd seen earlier that day

Makes it difficult to check out the competition unless you have multiple PC's and user accounts!
yes they have done that to me as well
is it because the put a cookie into the pc or retain the IP address at their end ??

currently have 2 pc's in different countries so will have different IP's so will have to investigate the cost options for getting access to a VPN that will hide the IP - will also be able to watch BBC online.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
yes they have done that to me as well
is it because the put a cookie into the pc or retain the IP address at their end ??

currently have 2 pc's in different countries so will have different IP's so will have to investigate the cost options for getting access to a VPN that will hide the IP - will also be able to watch BBC online.
Cookies are the problem, clear your cache before you revisit the site.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Cookies are the problem, clear your cache before you revisit the site

Could you tell me how to do that please
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adra04778
Cookies are the problem, clear your cache before you revisit the site

Could you tell me how to do that please
It`s just clearing the history of the sites you visited, THIS will explain how to do it depending on which browser you use.
You can set your browser to clear it when you close the browser everytime, it`s all explained in the link.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Thanks very much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.