Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Boatmen/Water Fleas in Pool

Boatmen/Water Fleas in Pool

Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of
Default Boatmen/Water Fleas in Pool

Hi, we are looking to refill our pool shortly and last year we had many of these come and swim in it! No matter how many we netted out, there were hundreds in again an hour later!

We have a stream about 45metres away from our pool at the bottom of the garden, but it is dry in sumer. Don know if this has any bearing on things?

Has anyone else had this problem in their pool and if so, did you manage to eradicate it?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:10 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boatmen/Water Fleas in Pool

OK, water life likes water and will arrive from great distances. Water beetles fly until they see the reflection of sun on water then dive into it full tilt. Not all such shine is water derived, which is why you find concussed water beetles next to cars (windscreen reflection) and on tarmac etc. There were dozens lying there when I flew into Spain last time.

Such nearby water will act as a reservoir for stuff like water boatmen and other winged arthropods.

Do you really mean water fleas? Tiny little things about the size of a full stop?

If anyone wants to know, there is a very simple way to stop water going green.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
If anyone wants to know, there is a very simple way to stop water going green.
yes please ?
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:50 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

OK, slightly techie stuff. I used to keep koi, and one of the curses is green water and blanket weed. All algae, driven by the nitrogen in the water.

For ponds the nitrogen cycle takes ammonia (NH3) and turns it into nitrite (NO2), whereupon a second batch turns the nitrite into nitrate (NO3).

That nitrate builds up and is the big problem.

The trick is to remove the nitrogen from the water body completely. Plants can't do the job fast enough no matter what anyone may say.

I used to run an aerated kaldness filter which was basically plastic pasta shapes churned in a chamber while the water flowed thru. This is a terrific bio filter and quickly turns NH3 and NO2 into NO3. However it fails to remove the nitrate.

When my K filter broke down a month or two before I closed down my pond, half the kaldness was left as a solid mass, with water flowing past, and a very slow flow passing thru the mass.

Withing a month, the nitrogen had fallen thru the floor, the water had cleared and the blanket weed all died.

To cut a long story short, this was the final step in a series of experiments I had done altering aeration levels. I deduced from all these that there was another category of bacteria that removed nitrogen completely, possibly to the atmosphere as a gas. Washing out/overaerating the filter caused the effect to stop for a while, and instead of restarting immediately, as it would have if it had been a purely physical process, the system took the same time to 'come online' again as it had to set up in the first time.

Sand filters do the opposite, and will make water green as they act as a nitrate factory because they are compressive filters, holding organic matter in the water stream under compression.

Google Kaldness to see the stuff I refer to. The trick is to use the kaldness as a static, open, non compressive filter. This can be achieved by either flowing water from the pond/pool under gravity into the box of kaldness then pumping water out, or else pump up to the box and have the water flow back to the pool under gravity.

This will remove very small dirt particles from the water most effectvely, as well as removing nitrogen, which is added to the pond all the time. You need to keep the kaldness static while the water flows thru slowly, and allow a facility to wash the K with pond water and flush to waste every so often. Not too often or the effect will never work. You might need to experiment a little with the amount of K. I was using about 100 litres static to clear a 18,000 gallon pond, but it might well work with a fraction of that.

One easy trick is to bag the K tightly in a mesh bag and hang the bag in the water flow.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
OK, slightly techie stuff. I used to keep koi, and one of the curses is green water and blanket weed. All algae, driven by the nitrogen in the water.

For ponds the nitrogen cycle takes ammonia (NH3) and turns it into nitrite (NO2), whereupon a second batch turns the nitrite into nitrate (NO3).

That nitrate builds up and is the big problem.

The trick is to remove the nitrogen from the water body completely. Plants can't do the job fast enough no matter what anyone may say.

I used to run an aerated kaldness filter which was basically plastic pasta shapes churned in a chamber while the water flowed thru. This is a terrific bio filter and quickly turns NH3 and NO2 into NO3. However it fails to remove the nitrate.

When my K filter broke down a month or two before I closed down my pond, half the kaldness was left as a solid mass, with water flowing past, and a very slow flow passing thru the mass.

Withing a month, the nitrogen had fallen thru the floor, the water had cleared and the blanket weed all died.

To cut a long story short, this was the final step in a series of experiments I had done altering aeration levels. I deduced from all these that there was another category of bacteria that removed nitrogen completely, possibly to the atmosphere as a gas. Washing out/overaerating the filter caused the effect to stop for a while, and instead of restarting immediately, as it would have if it had been a purely physical process, the system took the same time to 'come online' again as it had to set up in the first time.

Sand filters do the opposite, and will make water green as they act as a nitrate factory because they are compressive filters, holding organic matter in the water stream under compression.

Google Kaldness to see the stuff I refer to. The trick is to use the kaldness as a static, open, non compressive filter. This can be achieved by either flowing water from the pond/pool under gravity into the box of kaldness then pumping water out, or else pump up to the box and have the water flow back to the pool under gravity.

This will remove very small dirt particles from the water most effectvely, as well as removing nitrogen, which is added to the pond all the time. You need to keep the kaldness static while the water flows thru slowly, and allow a facility to wash the K with pond water and flush to waste every so often. Not too often or the effect will never work. You might need to experiment a little with the amount of K. I was using about 100 litres static to clear a 18,000 gallon pond, but it might well work with a fraction of that.

One easy trick is to bag the K tightly in a mesh bag and hang the bag in the water flow.
Hmmm, when my pool went green, I just treated with Agicide (Blue stuff)first, then got the PH/chlorine to the recommended levels check and correct regularly , and have had no trouble for the last two years.

Sorry to be so technical,

Anyway, what happened to the Boatmen??
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

would an ultra violet lamp not be easier?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:36 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
would an ultra violet lamp not be easier?
Throw the sun bed in the pool.... Morning
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Throw the sun bed in the pool.... Morning
I'm sure there is a thread on in laws in Spain, maybe we can kill two birds with one stone?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:43 am

I'm sure there is a thread on in laws in Spain, maybe we can kill two birds with one stone?
I stick to my fish tank..took months to stop it going green in the end i bought a pump and filter for a tank that was twice the needed size and found some anti nitrate Pasta like thingys that go it the filter system...and now its fine.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:46 am
Straw Man.

I stick to my fish tank..took months to stop it going green in the end i bought a pump and filter for a tank that was twice the needed size and found some anti nitrate Pasta like thingys that go it the filter system...and now its fine.
I cant describe the joy I feel at your wonderful news about the health and vitality of your fish.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:50 am

I cant describe the joy I feel at your wonderful news about the health and vitality of your fish.
Hows the Lambing going...keeping you up.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:55 am
Straw Man.

Hows the Lambing going...keeping you up.
Decided not to lamb this year, first one in about 7 I haven't, its very very odd to say the least.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 9:58 am

Decided not to lamb this year, first one in about 7 I haven't, its very very odd to say the least.
I i know what you mean this time of year the bottom oven in our aga would have quite a few guest's pass through it always funny heads poking out with the odd bleat..
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:03 am
Straw Man.

I i know what you mean this time of year the bottom oven in our aga would have quite a few guest's pass through it always funny heads poking out with the odd bleat..
I have cut the flock down to 15, its great!
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 10:04 am

I have cut the flock down to 15, its great!
Big change..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.