Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Boarding Kennels in Southern Spain

Boarding Kennels in Southern Spain

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Scampy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Boarding Kennels in Southern Spain

Hi I am a British citizen who currently runs a boarding kennels and home dog care and walking service in the Surrey area. I am considering moving to Southern Spain (possibly Mijas area) and would like to establish if a similar service to that which I offer in the UK is available in the area and if not if it is felt that there would be a need for one. Any help would be appreceiated.

Thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boarding Kennels in Southern Spain

Originally Posted by Scampy
Hi I am a British citizen who currently runs a boarding kennels and home dog care and walking service in the Surrey area. I am considering moving to Southern Spain (possibly Mijas area) and would like to establish if a similar service to that which I offer in the UK is available in the area and if not if it is felt that there would be a need for one. Any help would be appreceiated.

Thanks
Theres a few kennels down here in Malaga, but some are bloody awful but have come across a couple of good ones. One in Alharauin Torre (sp) and Alharauine Grande. One I liked better than the other mostly because of attitude than anything else. But both seem popular and often full especially in Aug and Xmas. Come down and have a look.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Scampy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Theres a few kennels down here in Malaga, but some are bloody awful but have come across a couple of good ones. One in Alharauin Torre (sp) and Alharauine Grande. One I liked better than the other mostly because of attitude than anything else. But both seem popular and often full especially in Aug and Xmas. Come down and have a look.

Thanks for the feedback. I intend to come down in Feb/March so I will have a look at the ones you suggest to see what I would be up against.
Old Jan 5th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scampy
Thanks for the feedback. I intend to come down in Feb/March so I will have a look at the ones you suggest to see what I would be up against.
Theres a few around, one is Eurodog, but thought it was a dump and wasn't happy in leaving my dog there, one in Le Cala don't know its name but know a couple of people who use it, haven't seen it yet myself but think its run by a vet. Cats and Dogs in Alaurenin Grande, Moggies and Doggies in Alaurein Torre which is the one I favoured mostly because I can take my dogs bedding her toys ect and they were sympathetic in my leaving her as she was a rescue dog. Cats and Dogs was one I would consider, but they didn't encourage me to leave bedding ect......so no toys no custom, (my dog is a GS and she loves to play and prone to boredom) Best of Luck
Old Jan 6th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Theres a few around, one is Eurodog, but thought it was a dump and wasn't happy in leaving my dog there, one in Le Cala don't know its name but know a couple of people who use it, haven't seen it yet myself but think its run by a vet. Cats and Dogs in Alaurenin Grande, Moggies and Doggies in Alaurein Torre which is the one I favoured mostly because I can take my dogs bedding her toys ect and they were sympathetic in my leaving her as she was a rescue dog. Cats and Dogs was one I would consider, but they didn't encourage me to leave bedding ect......so no toys no custom, (my dog is a GS and she loves to play and prone to boredom) Best of Luck

sorry mercades, thats incorrect.

eurodog is in mijas costa, near the river. having never been there i cant comment. it is run by my mums friends son.

cat and dog world, in alhaurin el grande (on the road to villafranco) - is run by a lovely couple, Bill and Denise Whitehair who always take our dogs in when we go away. we have an account with them. they take any sized dog, and they encourage us to leave blankets, toys and treats. the dogs are excersized every day, and the hygene in the kennels is excellent. their website is
here i´m sure they do importation/exportation of animals as well, i know they do collection of pets from your house, and they are a breeding kennels. i would post their telephone number on here too, but i dont think i should. if you want it, pm me about it. on their business cards they welcome inspections.

doggies and moggies in alhaurin de la torre is run by marcus, i´ve been there a few times when dog and cat world was full. (dont go there because of distance from us, the other is closer). it seems like a nice place, looks like a rustic mexican stables, or it did when we went there last year. apparently a very good place.

theres a fourth one, out in the campo called "petcare", run by a woman and her daughter. i know nothing else about this one.

and the 5th, mentioned by mercades, in la cala, run by a vet.

i´m sure there are more, i know there is one in benerjerafe, on the other side of malaga.

you will fond most of the numbers for these, in the sure in english or on their website. you will also need to look into licenses for the keeping of animals i believe? unless u do it privatly, then its up to you. its certainly something which will need careful consideration, it seems to me that the market is pretty much .. full ? for this type of thing ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
sorry mercades, thats incorrect.

eurodog is in mijas costa, near the river. having never been there i cant comment. it is run by my mums friends son.

cat and dog world, in alhaurin el grande (on the road to villafranco) - is run by a lovely couple, Bill and Denise Whitehair who always take our dogs in when we go away. we have an account with them. they take any sized dog, and they encourage us to leave blankets, toys and treats. the dogs are excersized every day, and the hygene in the kennels is excellent. their website is
here i´m sure they do importation/exportation of animals as well, i know they do collection of pets from your house, and they are a breeding kennels. i would post their telephone number on here too, but i dont think i should. if you want it, pm me about it. on their business cards they welcome inspections.

doggies and moggies in alhaurin de la torre is run by marcus, i´ve been there a few times when dog and cat world was full. (dont go there because of distance from us, the other is closer). it seems like a nice place, looks like a rustic mexican stables, or it did when we went there last year. apparently a very good place.

theres a fourth one, out in the campo called "petcare", run by a woman and her daughter. i know nothing else about this one.

and the 5th, mentioned by mercades, in la cala, run by a vet.

i´m sure there are more, i know there is one in benerjerafe, on the other side of malaga.

you will fond most of the numbers for these, in the sure in english or on their website. you will also need to look into licenses for the keeping of animals i believe? unless u do it privatly, then its up to you. its certainly something which will need careful consideration, it seems to me that the market is pretty much .. full ? for this type of thing ?

Where was I wrong? Maybe the fullstops or commas may make it read differently lol

Been to Eurodog and as you said its in Mijas Golf, but I went there and thought it was a dump, would put my mother in law there but not my dog. I was told by the Father they shut the dogs up in the tiny hut that they sleep in all night and it was damn small... Cats and Dogs met them and met Bill, it was him who pulled a face when I mentioned toys.....also I was told they only give them 2 runs a day, whereas M&D give them 4 I didn't say I wouldnt use Cats and Dogs but just my second choice at the moment. I don't really care if people are breeders or not, usually because they are a breed of their own. Both are handy to me to the airport whereby I tend to drop her off on the way and pick her up on the way back Since I go away quite a bit, it was important to me where the GS went, especially as she has quarter of an acre to run around normally so I tend to look at how small the cages are and how often they are let out that tends to be my priority.
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Where was I wrong? Maybe the fullstops or commas may make it read differently lol

Been to Eurodog and as you said its in Mijas Golf, but I went there and thought it was a dump, would put my mother in law there but not my dog. I was told by the Father they shut the dogs up in the tiny hut that they sleep in all night and it was damn small... Cats and Dogs met them and met Bill, it was him who pulled a face when I mentioned toys.....also I was told they only give them 2 runs a day, whereas M&D give them 4 I didn't say I wouldnt use Cats and Dogs but just my second choice at the moment. I don't really care if people are breeders or not, usually because they are a breed of their own. Both are handy to me to the airport whereby I tend to drop her off on the way and pick her up on the way back Since I go away quite a bit, it was important to me where the GS went, especially as she has quarter of an acre to run around normally so I tend to look at how small the cages are and how often they are let out that tends to be my priority.

hehehee no offence intended mercades my darling just personal opinion

i´ve always found them to be helpful, maybe its because we go there so much never mind, what matters is the dogs welfare, right ?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
hehehee no offence intended mercades my darling just personal opinion

i´ve always found them to be helpful, maybe its because we go there so much never mind, what matters is the dogs welfare, right ?
wasn't offended... as you said it's like anything once you get to know a place and they you things are often different. Probably just a fuss pot where she is concerned when I had got her as a rescue dog she was only 6 months old and was in pretty bad condition when I got her. Apparently she had been in the rescue center at La Cala for a month as she was so badly hurt. Its taken me months to even get her in the car and its been great that recently she actually comes to the car on her own back and wants to come whereas before she was very reluctant. So when I was looking at Kennels I didn't want her to relate to it as her previous experience so maybe why I'm extra fussy especially as she is still quite young and want it to be a positive experience and happyish when I'm away.