Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bo@&*$ks to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bo@&*$ks to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:08 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bo@&*$ks to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Here we go......this is the reason why I stopped coming on here. Please Douglas Jack tell me where I am 'having a go' at people who love Spain? I LOVE SPAIN.......would love to go back and have another go, BUT can't afford to, it cost us dearly and now we have returned we feel we need to get back on our feet again financially and hold on tight to what we can recoup. Yes, we did our homework, yes we were there for one whole year and yes we thought we could make a go of it. BUT, we didn't expect the kids to find things difficult, they were so keen to go. Different schools, different house, different location, could have been a different story.

For us........US, Spain didn't work out, but I would never suggest that anyone should not try it if it is what you want to do. Our lifestyle did not suit us, we worked very long hours and actually spent less time with the kids than we did in England. The main reason we came home was our children did not settle in school. By the end of our stay our youngest was in tears everyday at school, clinging to me not to leave her and literally hanging on the doorframe of the classroom pleading with me not to make her go. I used to come back crying and feeling sick. The teacher gave no support, although he was a lovely man and did try, but it was as if it was the first time he had encountered anything like this. The Spanish kids would be laughing at her and she was spat on and had her hair pulled. I witnessed this in the playground. I even tried to get her to settle in the summer by enrolling her into Summer School and going with her. We lasted two days and quite honestly that was what made me decide to come home. There was no discipline whatsoever and the kids just ran riot. The teacher controlled them by blowing at whistle, which made me nearly fall off my chair. They fought over crayons and took all my daughters felt pens off her. Petty stuff and kids stuff, yes, but coming from an English Primary School where this behaviour never happened was quite a culture shock for her.

Before you shoot me down, this is OUR experience and I would never suggest for one minute that all Spanish Schools are the same. Friends we made had their son in a fab school where they were all taught about each others culture and had a wonderful time. Too late for us by this time, she had had enough and so had I. Lots of 'little' things had started to niggle and added together had us longing to come back.

People tell us we can try again when the kids are older. If they aren't with us then I'm not interested, I want to be where my kids are and where they are happiest. People in Spain couldn't understand why we decided to come home because of the kids........I think a mother can.

So, Douglas Jack, if you know my story and have bothered to read any of my posts I think you will find I offer advice in a positive way and never once have I suggested anything bad of Spain or anyone wanting to move there.

Thankyou to Mrs Eddy and Miss Naughty for your support.

Sparkle
Damn you for having an opinion!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go......this is the reason why I stopped coming on here. Please Douglas Jack tell me where I am 'having a go' at people who love Spain? I LOVE SPAIN.......would love to go back and have another go, BUT can't afford to, it cost us dearly and now we have returned we feel we need to get back on our feet again financially and hold on tight to what we can recoup. Yes, we did our homework, yes we were there for one whole year and yes we thought we could make a go of it. BUT, we didn't expect the kids to find things difficult, they were so keen to go. Different schools, different house, different location, could have been a different story.

For us........US, Spain didn't work out, but I would never suggest that anyone should not try it if it is what you want to do. Our lifestyle did not suit us, we worked very long hours and actually spent less time with the kids than we did in England. The main reason we came home was our children did not settle in school. By the end of our stay our youngest was in tears everyday at school, clinging to me not to leave her and literally hanging on the doorframe of the classroom pleading with me not to make her go. I used to come back crying and feeling sick. The teacher gave no support, although he was a lovely man and did try, but it was as if it was the first time he had encountered anything like this. The Spanish kids would be laughing at her and she was spat on and had her hair pulled. I witnessed this in the playground. I even tried to get her to settle in the summer by enrolling her into Summer School and going with her. We lasted two days and quite honestly that was what made me decide to come home. There was no discipline whatsoever and the kids just ran riot. The teacher controlled them by blowing at whistle, which made me nearly fall off my chair. They fought over crayons and took all my daughters felt pens off her. Petty stuff and kids stuff, yes, but coming from an English Primary School where this behaviour never happened was quite a culture shock for her.

Before you shoot me down, this is OUR experience and I would never suggest for one minute that all Spanish Schools are the same. Friends we made had their son in a fab school where they were all taught about each others culture and had a wonderful time. Too late for us by this time, she had had enough and so had I. Lots of 'little' things had started to niggle and added together had us longing to come back.

People tell us we can try again when the kids are older. If they aren't with us then I'm not interested, I want to be where my kids are and where they are happiest. People in Spain couldn't understand why we decided to come home because of the kids........I think a mother can.

So, Douglas Jack, if you know my story and have bothered to read any of my posts I think you will find I offer advice in a positive way and never once have I suggested anything bad of Spain or anyone wanting to move there.

Sparkle
xxxxxx
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Sparkle

Sending you lots of hugs babe......

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 10:11 am
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Sparkle
Bugger the ones that think they no best,I think you quoted,nice input for the forum that,have read some of your other threads,but couldnt you have checked the schools firist,before you went,and the work situation.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:18 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Douglas jack
Bugger the ones that think they no best,I think you quoted,nice input for the forum that,have read some of your other threads,but couldnt you have checked the schools firist,before you went,and the work situation.
I don't normally chip in but you obviously aren't reading Sparkles posts correctly. If you look back over any of her posts you will see that she did lots of research before she moved, but research can only prepare someone part of the way, the only sure way you can know if its going to work is to try it for real. Sometimes its great, sometimes it's not. There are lots of variables that can come into play that no amount of research can foresee.

Remember we don't walk in each others shoes. The reason for this forum is to connect with other british expats and share experiences of moving abroad. Being an expat or repat isn't easy so the more we share stories and support each other the better it is for all of us.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:20 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

couldnt you have checked the schools firist,before you went,and the work situation.
Life is not that simple, no matter how much research you do into things you can never anticipate what life will through at you. From experience I know that when you go to check something out a show will always be put on, we did it all the time in the hospital I worked in, when you know people are coming in to check on things you only ever tell them the positive aspects; you would be barking to dwell on the negatives. Not only that if a child does not settle in a new environment no matter how good or bad it is then as a responsible parent you have to take that child's need in to consideration and if the child was being traumatised by the whole thing then you have to seriously consider every ones future. If by doing this and after all the pros and cons have been looked at a decision is made to go back to the UK and start again then I am sure it is something that is not done lightly but done for all the right reasons. It can only be a good thing in the long run.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't normally chip in but you obviously aren't reading Sparkles posts correctly. If you look back over any of her posts you will see that she did lots of research before she moved, but research can only prepare someone part of the way, the only sure way you can know if its going to work is to try it for real. Sometimes its great, sometimes it's not. There are lots of variables that can come into play that no amount of research can foresee.

Remember we don't walk in each others shoes. The reason for this forum is to connect with other british expats and share experiences of moving abroad. Being an expat or repat isn't easy so the more we share stories and support each other the better it is for all of us.

I took so long to write my reply Sue beat me to it.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:15 pm
Banned

Douglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really niceDouglas jack is just really nice

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Life is not that simple, no matter how much research you do into things you can never anticipate what life will through at you. From experience I know that when you go to check something out a show will always be put on, we did it all the time in the hospital I worked in, when you know people are coming in to check on things you only ever tell them the positive aspects; you would be barking to dwell on the negatives. Not only that if a child does not settle in a new environment no matter how good or bad it is then as a responsible parent you have to take that child's need in to consideration and if the child was being traumatised by the whole thing then you have to seriously consider every ones future. If by doing this and after all the pros and cons have been looked at a decision is made to go back to the UK and start again then I am sure it is something that is not done lightly but done for all the right reasons. It can only be a good thing in the long run.
Sorry but if you had a child in the UK going to school ,and they didnt like it or didnt get on with the other kids you would move them on ,in my mind children should allways come firist in any big family move,you wouldnt just move abroad without checking out the school situation for your kids,sparkle said that her oldest had done well in school ,and that had advanced him in maths back in UK,she also complained that she had to work long hours in Spain to survive,you say that you use to put a show on to impress people that were coming around to the hospital that you worked in,why, whats wrong with the truth ,Really by reading the posts the homework was not correct.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue

Girls for Girls.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:34 pm

[QUOTE=Douglas jack;4552130]Sorry but if you had a child in the UK going to school ,and they didnt like it or didnt get on with the other kids you would move them on ,in my mind children should allways come firist in any big family move,

Was that not what I said, I may not have used the same words as you but I think that is what I meant.

you wouldnt just move abroad without checking out the school situation for your kids,sparkle said that her oldest had done well in school ,and that had advanced him in maths back in UK,

I'm sure Sparkle did check out schools, is there any post from her saying she did not, I think the problem lay with her younger child.

she also complained that she had to work long hours in Spain to survive,

As I said in my post you can not anticipate what life will throw at you, no matter how much research and homework you do you can not dictate life.

you say that you use to put a show on to impress people that were coming around to the hospital that you worked in,why, whats wrong with the truth ,

There is nothing wrong with the truth but if you want to install confidence in people you show them the best never the worst.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:48 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=crispygirl;4552205]
Sorry but if you had a child in the UK going to school ,and they didnt like it or didnt get on with the other kids you would move them on ,in my mind children should allways come firist in any big family move,

Was that not what I said, I may not have used the same words as you but I think that is what I meant.

you wouldnt just move abroad without checking out the school situation for your kids,sparkle said that her oldest had done well in school ,and that had advanced him in maths back in UK,

I'm sure Sparkle did check out schools, is there any post from her saying she did not, I think the problem lay with her younger child.She said that her friend had found a good school for her child,but it was to late,to change,you bend over backwards for your children,dont you.

she also complained that she had to work long hours in Spain to survive,

As I said in my post you can not anticipate what life will throw at you, no matter how much research and homework you do you can not dictate life.But you can prepare for it.

you say that you use to put a show on to impress people that were coming around to the hospital that you worked in,why, whats wrong with the truth ,

There is nothing wrong with the truth but if you want to install confidence in people you show them the best never the worst.
Thats the problem with Britian today to many people gloss over the truth,and others have to complain.Confidence ,what happens to that once they realise they have been lied to,I am sorry but its not the way I was brought up, truth is best.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Douglas jack;4552250]
Thats the problem with Britian today to many people gloss over the truth,and others have to complain.Confidence ,what happens to that once they realise they have been lied to,I am sorry but its not the way I was brought up, truth is best.
At the end of the day she tried!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:02 pm
Banned

[QUOTE=Miss Naughty;4552278]

At the end of the day she tried!
Yes and good luck to her.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Good God sometimes this forum is quite frightening!!! I look at some of the posts and to be honest I have to think twice before I post a question myself (having to decide whether some bright spark on here thinks I am a complete moron). Really if someone posts a question or a statement they should get an answer not shot down in flames. Some responses on here are extremely hurtful!!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:41 pm

[QUOTE=Douglas jack;4552250]
OH dear Dougals Jack I seem to be annoying you more and more with every answer I give and I apologise for that, I agree with you 100% truth is best, always. That is how I was brought up and that's how I live my life as best I can and that is how I have brought my children up, but in some circumstance's it is beneficial to concentrate on the positive and leave the negative in the background. Positive and negative are different to truth and un-truth's and when giving an inspector a tour of my department I never lied to them because that would not only be immoral but that would put my job at risk, but to show the positive aspects of my department rather than the negative is good business sense not a lie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.