Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Bilboa-Alicante Best Route!

Bilboa-Alicante Best Route!

Old Jul 25th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future
Default Bilboa-Alicante Best Route!

Hi all,

Just need a heads up from people that have done this. Am I better to go via Madrid or Zaragosa?

Thanks in advance

leckytech
Old Jul 25th 2009, 1:43 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bilboa-Alicante Best Route!

Originally Posted by leckytech
Hi all,

Just need a heads up from people that have done this. Am I better to go via Madrid or Zaragosa?

Thanks in advance

leckytech
Well, Ive done it and I found the Zaragoza route absolutely fine, mostly dual carriageway and an easy drive.

However when I said that on another thread others said via Madrid was better. My only experience of Madrid has been trying to navigate the horrendous ring road system.

So I guess everyone is going to have a different opinion!!c

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 26th 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

leckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant futureleckytech has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well, Ive done it and I found the Zaragoza route absolutely fine, mostly dual carriageway and an easy drive.

However when I said that on another thread others said via Madrid was better. My only experience of Madrid has been trying to navigate the horrendous ring road system.

So I guess everyone is going to have a different opinion!!c
Thanks I just found that other thread. It seems the ring road is complete and I have a tomtom. Dont fancy the drive from Valencia if that thread is to be believed!

Thanks for your reply though

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 26th 2009 at 11:50 am.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 3:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks I just found that other thread. It seems the ring road is complete and I have a tomtom. Dont fancy the drive from Valencia if that thread is to be believed!

Thanks for your reply though
How do you mean you dont fancy the drive from Valencia?
Iirc you can cut South and come out in Gandia rather than going all the way to Valencia and then down the motorway
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

How do you mean you dont fancy the drive from Valencia?
Iirc you can cut South and come out in Gandia rather than going all the way to Valencia and then down the motorway
Just from this post

I do the trip at least once a month and would not recommend going via zaragossa.
AP68 toll road, V23 Zaragossa to Valencia free but then another 2 hour drive south from Valencia.
I have tried various routes round Madrid and the best, shortest and fastest is straight through the midlle on the motorway, whilst every body else uses the ring roads. It has never taken me more than 1 hour from the San Sebastion de los Reyes turn off to the Arganda del Rey turn.
I would go in on the N-1 and stay on that road until you pick the signs up for the A-3 Valencia (do not use the toll road AP-3) this will take you out of Madrid, then A-31.
Trust me it IS the best way by far.
This is exactly the reason for the post, I cant make up my mind. The web seems to suggest that the tolled roads will be far less congested as they are prohibitively expensive for the average spanish person, truckers etc. For me I just want a safe jouney for my family and a few pitstops along the way for coffee etc and if in the event of a breakdown I can be assisted quickly. Have I just answered my own question there?

How much are the road tolls likely to be in total if I went the Zaragosa route and will I require exact change ?

Thanks appreciate any input

leckytech

Last edited by leckytech; Jul 25th 2009 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Bilboa-Alicante Best Route!

Just from this post

This is exactly the reason for the post, I cant make up my mind. The web seems to suggest that the tolled roads will be far less congested as they are prohibitively expensive for the average spanish person, truckers etc. For me I just want a safe jouney for my family and a few pitstops along the way for coffee etc and if in the event of a breakdown I can be assisted quickly. Have I just answered my own question there?

How much are the road tolls likely to be in total if I went the Zaragosa route and will I require exact change ?

Thanks appreciate any input

leckytech
Put all your options into Via Michelin and it will give you all you want to know. Tolls, fuel costs, routes with tolls/ferrys/hotels and timings.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

torrebloke is an unknown quantity at this point

A word of warning if using toll roads.
If you are driving an English car and breakdown, your recovery company will not come on you a toll road, you will need to get off at the next junction or pay a large excess to the driver before they wil recover you.
I found this out the hard way!
As for the route, as my other reply on previous thread, straight through middle of Madrid and down A3/A31.
Have a safe journey.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by torrebloke
A word of warning if using toll roads.
If you are driving an English car and breakdown, your recovery company will not come on you a toll road, you will need to get off at the next junction or pay a large excess to the driver before they wil recover you.
I found this out the hard way!
As for the route, as my other reply on previous thread, straight through middle of Madrid and down A3/A31.
Have a safe journey.
Thanks for that advice but are the A roads not more suseptible to high traffic as opposed the toll roads? And what sort of large excess are we talking about here?

Thanks
Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that advice but are the A roads not more suseptible to high traffic as opposed the toll roads? And what sort of large excess are we talking about here?

Thanks
As a long time Madrid resident, experience has taught me to avoid leaving/ returning to Madrid at the really peak times, such as Friday and Sunday afternoons, and particularly at the beginning and end of July and August.

As for driving through the centre of Madrid, forget it! Unless travelling well outside the aforementioned times it is advisable to avoid even the inner circle M 30. The M 40 can be problematic also, so should you decide to come via Madrid, the safest bet is to opt for the outer circle M 50. Its a longer way round, but should be quieter.

The relatively new radial toll roads which run parallel to almost all of the principal roads out of Madrid for the first 30 to 50 or so kilometres are worth using because they are very quiet and not that expensive.

A last word of warning, with all the recent changes in the road system into and around Madrid which have been most impressive, the direction signs can be confusing, so keep a careful eye out.

Hope this helps.

iant
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

First of all can we get the spelling right please, it is Zaragoza.

Having travelled from Zaragoza to Alicante?Valencia many times, I have found the route absolutely fine. The ring road around Zgz is very easy and free and the new road from Zgz to Teruel is also very good. The pay bits are from Bilbao to Zaragoza, past Pamplona, and from Sagunto down to Alicante (I think), but neither are prohibitavely expensive.

My own opinion is avoid Madrid like the plague, what you make up on time you can easily lose double if you hit traffic.

Good luck
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram
I am still wondering where Bilboa is!!!!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Zaragozaram

Having travelled from Zaragoza to Alicante?Valencia many times, I have found the route absolutely fine. The ring road around Zgz is very easy and free and the new road from Zgz to Teruel is also very good. The pay bits are from Bilbao to Zaragoza, past Pamplona, and from Sagunto down to Alicante (I think), but neither are prohibitavely expensive.

My own opinion is avoid Madrid like the plague, what you make up on time you can easily lose double if you hit traffic.

Good luck
I agree, we hit very little traffic at all ..... no delays, pleasant drive, I dont remember the tolls being much at all, 743 kms & €31 tolls
Old Jul 26th 2009, 10:03 am
Senior Moment

I agree, we hit very little traffic at all ..... no delays, pleasant drive, I dont remember the tolls being much at all, 743 kms & €31 tolls
Oh, and btw via Madrid is 819 kms, €22.90 tolls, so the Zaragoza route is shorter
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Ok Zaragoza then it is.

Thanks for everyones input.
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:57 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put my two penneth in,...
I go with Mitzyboy,......Zaragoza with a Z is a great route!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.