Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Beware a Major Scam

Beware a Major Scam

Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

daveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant futuredaveyboy_daveboy has a brilliant future
Default Beware a Major Scam

There is a major scam going around, designed into scaring people.
You receive an e-mail from online companies , and they say thank you for your purchase for a camera etc has been confirmed.( in my case for £850)
They encourage you to trace your order by clicking on the link supplied.
This is designed to release a computer virus.
The online companies involved know about this scam ,and are looking into this ,assuring everyone that they don't have any of your details or credit card numbers.
Please be aware, if in doubt don't. :scared:
Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beware a Major Scam

Thanks for the info .
Old Feb 16th 2006, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I had the "you have won the lottery" scam. Thought that one had died out.
Also I have a friends house on a free site for sale (Spanish chap who does not trust the agents etc) and I received a message from someone asking for my bank details as he would deposit the cash and buy without seeing the property. I was definatley not born yesterday!
Old Feb 17th 2006, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by daveyboy_daveboy
There is a major scam going around, designed into scaring people.
You receive an e-mail from online companies , and they say thank you for your purchase for a camera etc has been confirmed.( in my case for £850)
They encourage you to trace your order by clicking on the link supplied.
This is designed to release a computer virus.
The online companies involved know about this scam ,and are looking into this ,assuring everyone that they don't have any of your details or credit card numbers.
Please be aware, if in doubt don't. :scared:
The rule is simple. If you didn't do it, or don't recognise it, then delete it. Even if you think you recognise it, never link to a site, that is going to take any personal details, directly from an E-mail, or anywhere else that's unverified. Type in the URL or use your proven browser bookmarks.

The "online companies", as you put it, can't tell you for sure if you screwed-up. Either the scammers haven't yet used your details, or the details obtained may be used elsewhere ... you'd be surprised how many people use the same password/usernames, or similar, on other sites. Bear in mind that it is also in these companies' interest to preserve confidence in their online services, so you won't always hear the raw facts from them. Trust no one

The bottom line is, it's a jungle out there. People who let their guard down are eaten and the onus is on you and only you to protect yourself, first and foremost.