Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:50 pm
  #46  
BE Positive
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,980
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I have to say the teacher I had was always careful to make sure every member of the groups I was in took their turn at speaking - even when they didn't really want to, but I thought she was right to. I think small groups are also important - we never had more than 8, usually less.

I got most of my conversation practice from doing intercambios with native Spaniards who were learning English, I found them invaluable, and for anybody who wants to learn at a slightly more leisurely pace, one or two sessions a week should help a lot. Obviously you need to get beyond the beginner stage before starting an intercambio, or the conversations will be very short indeed!
Whats that please, 'intercambios'?

Told you I need more Spanish

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:44 pm
  #47  
MODERATOR
 
Rosemary's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Costa Valencia
Posts: 14,813
Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Whats that please, 'intercambios'?

Told you I need more Spanish

Jon
Meeting up with a Spanish person who wants to practice their English so that you can also practice your Spanish with them.

Rosemary
Rosemary is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:01 pm
  #48  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: In the middle of 10million Olive Trees
Posts: 12,053
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Any reputable language course even immersion has grammar modules. If not you will get stupid stuff like the one a Spanish friend likes to quote

In one moment I put buried in an envelope some papers, call me when you will read them, I like very much our meeting!
Jacky, I am not saying it is a bad thing.
but anyone starting a new language will be seriously lagging behind a 10yo native speaker who hasn't had a grammar lesson.
they have been a dry sponge for those 10 years, whilst an older person will be having difficulties because not only is the sponge getting full but also will be segmented into different aspects of life which intrude into the learning process.

`
Domino is offline  
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:15 pm
  #49  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Meeting up with a Spanish person who wants to practice their English so that you can also practice your Spanish with them.

Rosemary
And of course an intercambio can mean "meeting up" online, skype or whatever. They use the same word for a meeting between 2 people to exchange languages online.
The method that I personally use the most for intercambios is Skype. With the Skype software, you can use video and audio for your chat, or only audio. I personally think the audio-only route is the best. If you ever want to hold a phone conversation in Spanish, then only audio is the best way to practice.
agoreira is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:54 am
  #50  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,961
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Domino
Jacky, I am not saying it is a bad thing.
but anyone starting a new language will be seriously lagging behind a 10yo native speaker who hasn't had a grammar lesson.
they have been a dry sponge for those 10 years, whilst an older person will be having difficulties because not only is the sponge getting full but also will be segmented into different aspects of life which intrude into the learning process.

`
Spanish 10 year olds most certainly do get drilled in grammar - "lengua" is one of the main subjects taught in schools and grammar is regarded as important, as is spelling.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 3:37 am
  #51  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Spanish 10 year olds most certainly do get drilled in grammar - "lengua" is one of the main subjects taught in schools and grammar is regarded as important, as is spelling.
absolutely

primary school children here need to know more grammar (including any foreign language grammar) than any adult brit I've ever met

imo to the detriment of actually learning to communicate in the foreign language... but that's another issue
lynnxa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:12 am
  #52  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,961
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by lynnxa

imo to the detriment of actually learning to communicate in the foreign language... but that's another issue
That's the problem for all of us who want to learn another language. I passed my French 'A' level but was still hopeless at conversation with a native speaker - in spite of my school having had an Assistante Francaise every year, and a language laboratory where we sat with headphones on for listening and speaking practice - which was quite unusual for the late '60s/early '70s.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 6:15 am
  #53  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
That's the problem for all of us who want to learn another language. I passed my French 'A' level but was still hopeless at conversation with a native speaker - in spite of my school having had an Assistante Francaise every year, and a language laboratory where we sat with headphones on for listening and speaking practice - which was quite unusual for the late '60s/early '70s.
we had a language lab too - my French should have been way better than it was by the time of my 'O' level, considering we started learning at age 7

I did get a B .... not that I remember much now though
lynnxa is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 7:59 pm
  #54  
Not Banned (yet)
 
steviedeluxe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Madrid
Posts: 6,400
steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree entirely, as I said the OP will actually learn very little in a couple of weeks if starting from zero. I have heard some of these people that claim to be fluent, and put quite simply, they aren't. I'm a great believer in getting a good understanding of verb structures, subjunctive etc in a classroom environment, and then launching yourself amongst native speakers. We have a meeting here in UK and a guy came, spoke very good Spanish, complete with an awful "andalú" accent, but could not conjugate a single verb, nor read or write Spanish. That's fine if you only want to speak the lingo, I guess, but it seems sadly lacking to me.
Great to hear such insight from someone who admits he often doesn't know how to get served in a bar or restaurant...
steviedeluxe is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:13 pm
  #55  
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,081
me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by agoreira
Agree entirely, as I said the OP will actually learn very little in a couple of weeks if starting from zero. I have heard some of these people that claim to be fluent, and put quite simply, they aren't. I'm a great believer in getting a good understanding of verb structures, subjunctive etc in a classroom environment, and then launching yourself amongst native speakers. We have a meeting here in UK and a guy came, spoke very good Spanish, complete with an awful "andalú" accent, but could not conjugate a single verb, nor read or write Spanish. That's fine if you only want to speak the lingo, I guess, but it seems sadly lacking to me.
Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Great to hear such insight from someone who admits he often doesn't know how to get served in a bar or restaurant...
Are you actually agreeing with agoreira´s post, or being ironic?
I can´t tell?

If it is the first I will agree with you both 100%, if on the other hand it is the latter and you are trying to score points, I think you are making a complete ass of yourself.

Morning all.
me me is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:19 pm
  #56  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: In the middle of 10million Olive Trees
Posts: 12,053
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by me me
Are you actually agreeing with agoreira´s post, or being ironic?
I can´t tell?

If it is the first I will agree with you both 100%, if on the other hand it is the latter and you are trying to score points, I think you are making a complete ass of yourself.

Morning all.
come on now, you know you can't get as far up the wall as those two

Domino is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 8:34 pm
  #57  
BE Positive
 
Jon-Bxl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,980
Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by agoreira
And of course an intercambio can mean "meeting up" online, skype or whatever. They use the same word for a meeting between 2 people to exchange languages online.
Aaah thanks to you and Rosemary. Here in Brussels we call them 'round tables' - or language round tables.. the commune organise them in the evenings, free drop in and they hope that there is a mix of languages. In Brussels of course theres a good chance of that

Thanks

Jon
Jon-Bxl is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:11 pm
  #58  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Velez-Malaga
Posts: 4,961
Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Aaah thanks to you and Rosemary. Here in Brussels we call them 'round tables' - or language round tables.. the commune organise them in the evenings, free drop in and they hope that there is a mix of languages. In Brussels of course theres a good chance of that

Thanks

Jon
In the larger Spanish cities these types of intercambio are also popular, but it smaller places it is more often a 1:1 thing, either face to face or, as Agoreira has described, via Skype.

My first one started when the language school where I had been for Spanish lessons phoned me and said that they had a Spanish student who was learning English and doing well, but in need of some extra help with conversation, and would I be interested in helping him? I was keen to do it as I also needed more opportunities to practice my Spanish (conversations with neighbours and in shops, etc. tend to be fairly brief and on a narrow range of subjects). He was working during the day so we met twice a week for one hour, in the evenings immediately before his English class (I had to admire his commitment!), in a room provided by the language school - no charge, which I thought was good of them. We would speak in one language for the first half hour and then change over (he was very punctilious and used to set the alarm on his mobile phone to remind us when the half hour was up!). I felt it helped me enormously, and went on to do another exchange with a lady living near me at a later stage.
Lynn R is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:21 pm
  #59  
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: In the middle of 10million Olive Trees
Posts: 12,053
Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by Lynn R
In the larger Spanish cities these types of intercambio are also popular, but it smaller places it is more often a 1:1 thing, either face to face or, as Agoreira has described, via Skype.

My first one started when the language school where I had been for Spanish lessons phoned me and said that they had a Spanish student who was learning English and doing well, but in need of some extra help with conversation, and would I be interested in helping him? I was keen to do it as I also needed more opportunities to practice my Spanish (conversations with neighbours and in shops, etc. tend to be fairly brief and on a narrow range of subjects). He was working during the day so we met twice a week for one hour, in the evenings immediately before his English class (I had to admire his commitment!), in a room provided by the language school - no charge, which I thought was good of them. We would speak in one language for the first half hour and then change over (he was very punctilious and used to set the alarm on his mobile phone to remind us when the half hour was up!). I felt it helped me enormously, and went on to do another exchange with a lady living near me at a later stage.
that sounds excellent Lynn, especially as you say - neighbours and shops and bars conversations generally tend to be a bit limiting.

I know of someone with a language school in Madrid who last year started inter-cambio via skype with some trepidation but it has proven to be a success.
but again, as you say, there has to be the commitment, which many people start off with but lose the momentum either because they feel they aren't coping or they don't think it is going fast enough or in the right direction for them.

`
Domino is offline  
Old Jul 11th 2013, 9:31 pm
  #60  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1
vincentarmstead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

It would be quite easy for u just surround yourself with spanish speaking people and learn something new everyday and don't forget to practice it yourself.
vincentarmstead is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.