Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by kileroman
I have no doubt, Miztzyboy. We have totally clear this is a corrupted forum with private interest. Im going to find real opinions outside.

Thank you.
Interesting. As Sue says, you are welcome to do so. All we are interested in is protecting our members interests and ensuring they get a balanced view of the subject involved. This is the BEST place to get real opinions. No corruption. No private interest. Just real peoples opinions based on real peoples experiences.

Old Jul 9th 2013, 5:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You can't learn Spanish overnight and you can't know whether a new poster is genuine or a flaky misfit. Both processes take time.

I feel sorry for members who genuinely try to help newcomers and suddenly find themselves confronted with unexpected rudeness.

Back on topic, I agree with Chopera, it will take years for an Anglo Saxon to learn a Latin language to fluency level, and you can only achieve it with total immersion.

Marrying a Spanish person will speed up the process, but it's not an option for everyone.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:54 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Depends on the person. My wife learnt German in 1 month, on an intensive course in Vienna, but it was her 5th language, she has never spoken it again in the last 12 years so has forgotton most of it

2 months of internsive courses should be plenty for a moderately intelligent person to be conversant in the language, although perfection will take years and may never come!
It took me 1 month to learn the piano, the teacher said she could not possibly teach me any more.

I was really flattered, as I did not think that I was that great, but obviously she did.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:07 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
It took me 1 month to learn the piano, the teacher said she could not possibly teach me any more.

I was really flattered, as I did not think that I was that great, but obviously she did.
my elder daughter had 3 drum lessons - the teacher said she by then knew all the techniques she needed - she just needed to practice..............

he could I suppose have kept her going to him & charging just for listening to her practice - I thought that was very honest of him

she's actually very good now, & has performed in public several times!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chopera
With all due respect, you do not learn languages in 1 month, 2 months or even a year. Of course the question is like asking how long is a piece of string, but to be able to really feel comfortable in a Spanish speaking environment I'd say it takes a couple of years of full immersion for a very good linguist (maybe less for someone with native Portuguese for example). It's not just about understanding verb tenses, subjunctives, vocabulary, etc, you've also got to understand the culture and systems to understand what people are talking about, rather than just recognising the words they are saying.

I did a few intensive Spanish courses when I started out, and they were good for a few weeks, but really you need to learn the language through application rather than passively sitting in a classroom. For me the crunch came when I started working in a Spanish company, for a boss who didnt speak English. There was nowhere to hide and I went through 6 months of pain before feeling comfortably fluent in the language. I learnt more in those 6 months than in the previous 3 years of classes and intercambios, even though I was living in Spain at the time.
You are preaching to the converted

I went to work for a Spanish company after 6 weeks of intensive lessons. I didnt understand everything, but enough to get instructions from my boss, get my work done and talk to everyone at coffee break time. And of course working there, I learnt more and more.

The point is not to "sit passively" in the classroom. I read a book on Spanish grammar in the weeks leading up to the course and did homework every night.

I know people who have been on intensive courses for years and learnt very little - these are people who probably have never done well at studying, if you know how to study then you will make quick progress. A Swedish girl who started at the same time of me progressed much more quickly then I did and after a month was chatting to everyone on the street, it helped because she was staying with a Spanish family
Old Jul 9th 2013, 10:17 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

I went to work for a Spanish company after 6 weeks of intensive lessons. I didnt understand everything, but enough to get instructions from my boss, get my work done and talk to everyone at coffee break time. And of course working there, I learnt more and more.

The point is not to "sit passively" in the classroom. I read a book on Spanish grammar in the weeks leading up to the course and did homework every night.

I know people who have been on intensive courses for years and learnt very little - these are people who probably have never done well at studying, if you know how to study then you will make quick progress. A Swedish girl who started at the same time of me progressed much more quickly then I did and after a month was chatting to everyone on the street, it helped because she was staying with a Spanish family
Having learned a new language in my 40's here is what I think is important IMHO
  1. A natural aptitude and desire for language. Sadly the older you get the harder it is... also you have to enjoy it....
  2. Having good training. So the comments above about schooling, devotion, home stays etc is important
  3. And very important the '3 rules' Practice, practice and (you've got it) ... practice. Don't be ashamed to speak up in class and make 'mistakes' or in the street and make 'mistakes'. People will generally appreciate the effort and will be usually very understanding. Being quiet and not having a go, in fear of error, is actually the huge mistake. So practice! (It 'makes perfect')

In my case (sadly) I hesitate to learn + invest in Spanish as: Point 1) I don't have a great aptitude for languages, and I'm in my mid fifties, its just harder: 2) I can fix, but where it fails for me is point 3). I don't live in Spain permanently and for the rest of the time I am speaking French, my second language. We have no Spanish contacts here. I fear with my age/aptitude the lack of practice for the months I am away will lose any learning..... its so hard to practice outside the country... especially when you are already on a second language. I can easily imagine myself extremely frustrated as the stuff I learned a few months back.... has gone.

But good luck to anybody that wants to learn another language, it has made things much better for me personally in my French environment. I think having that skill can only improve the experience of living abroad

However I never criticise people that make a 'little England' and stick to UK pubs. lingo and social activities, as I know how hard it is to learn another language: And if you are genuinely having fun, no-one has any right to criticise from afar.

Jon
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can be more active in classes, but usually there are several other people in the classroom, and the lesson is structured, so you are somewhat restricted and can't really replicate those situations that require spontaneity. Also another factor is that some people are more predisposed to talk than others. I've met many people with fairly average Spanish but they use it well, they are good at maintaining conversations with the limited Spanish they have, while I've met other people with a technically high level of Spanish but find it hard to maintain conversations - they are overly concerned about whether they are speaking correct Spanish and end up not speaking at all.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can be more active in classes, but usually there are several other people in the classroom, and the lesson is structured, so you are somewhat restricted and can't really replicate those situations that require spontaneity. Also another factor is that some people are more predisposed to talk than others. I've met many people with fairly average Spanish but they use it well, they are good at maintaining conversations with the limited Spanish they have, while I've met other people with a technically high level of Spanish but find it hard to maintain conversations - they are overly concerned about whether they are speaking correct Spanish and end up not speaking at all.
I'm not sure what your point is.

The classes give you a good grounding to then walk out the door and practice by talking to more people

I've been "learning" Spanish for 12 years, but I only actually had 6 weeks of classes at the beginning. The rest of the time has been practice
Old Jul 10th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

The classes give you a good grounding to then walk out the door and practice by talking to more people

I've been "learning" Spanish for 12 years, but I only actually had 6 weeks of classes at the beginning. The rest of the time has been practice
Yes I wasn't really doubting/disagreeing with you. The op wanted to know the best way to learn Spanish quickly and I'm pointing out that while you can indeed learn a lot from a classroom, you'll get fluent quicker by being in an environment where you are forced to speak it. i.e. doing what you did.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say the teacher I had was always careful to make sure every member of the groups I was in took their turn at speaking - even when they didn't really want to, but I thought she was right to. I think small groups are also important - we never had more than 8, usually less.

I got most of my conversation practice from doing intercambios with native Spaniards who were learning English, I found them invaluable, and for anybody who wants to learn at a slightly more leisurely pace, one or two sessions a week should help a lot. Obviously you need to get beyond the beginner stage before starting an intercambio, or the conversations will be very short indeed!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Get a Spanish Lover , Pillow talk is a good way to learn.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
. I fear with my age/aptitude the lack of practice for the months I am away will lose any learning..... its so hard to practice outside the country... especially when you are already on a second language.
Jon
I think it is easy nowadays if you are keen to keep it up, get yourself a skype partner, doesn't really matter where you are, so long as you have internet. And as I always say, it's free, so no excuse there!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect, you do not learn languages in 1 month, 2 months or even a year. Of course the question is like asking how long is a piece of string, but to be able to really feel comfortable in a Spanish speaking environment I'd say it takes a couple of years of full immersion for a very good linguist (maybe less for someone with native Portuguese for example). It's not just about understanding verb tenses, subjunctives, vocabulary, etc, you've also got to understand the culture and systems to understand what people are talking about, rather than just recognising the words they are saying.
Agree entirely, as I said the OP will actually learn very little in a couple of weeks if starting from zero. I have heard some of these people that claim to be fluent, and put quite simply, they aren't. I'm a great believer in getting a good understanding of verb structures, subjunctive etc in a classroom environment, and then launching yourself amongst native speakers. We have a meeting here in UK and a guy came, spoke very good Spanish, complete with an awful "andalú" accent, but could not conjugate a single verb, nor read or write Spanish. That's fine if you only want to speak the lingo, I guess, but it seems sadly lacking to me.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 7:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

and I have been castigated on here because I said that "situational learning" is preferable to sitting in a classroom and learning past and present participles and conjugating

the "kinky" bits come later, the idea should be to be able to have a lesson or two and be able to leave and get a lifesaving cup of coffee or a beer on the way home.
kids are learning from birth and pick up thousands of words by the audio-visual method, no one gives them verbs and things until they have been in situational learning for a decade or so. and all that really does is round off the rough edges.

that is why many business and other language classes are intense total immersion to force them into situational from the getgo.

Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:06 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Any reputable language course even immersion has grammar modules. If not you will get stupid stuff like the one a Spanish friend likes to quote

In one moment I put buried in an envelope some papers, call me when you will read them, I like very much our meeting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.