Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Old Jul 8th 2013, 5:57 am
Banned

kileroman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Hi there!

What is the best way to learn Spanish? I was thinking about moving to Spain for some weeks. Also to get a kind of intensive course...

Suggestions?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to learn Spanish quickly...weeks in Spain?

Originally Posted by kileroman
Hi there!

What is the best way to learn Spanish? I was thinking about moving to Spain for some weeks. Also to get a kind of intensive course...

Suggestions?
I would suggest an intensive course of lessons in a reputable school, eg

http://www.spanorama.com/intensive-s...es-summary.htm

combined with accommodation in the home of a Spanish host family so that you have total immersion in the language for the duration of your stay.

I have no connection with or personal experience of this organisation's courses, other forum members may know of better ones.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R

combined with accommodation in the home of a Spanish host family so that you have total immersion in the language for the duration of your stay.

I have no connection with or personal experience of this organisation's courses, other forum members may know of better ones.
Thanks Lynn R! But a host family... is not my intention. Anyway, I ve been surfing google. And according with your suggestion, I found this site:

(SNIP)

What do you think? It is about intensive courses and accommodation as well, but as far as I cheked, its about shared apartments and you have classes there. I liked also the excursions included and price.

Opinions?

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 8th 2013 at 6:45 am. Reason: We prefer new posters to recommend services they have used, as opposed to new links, thanks :-)
Old Jul 8th 2013, 6:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

There are of course the CD learning aids like the dreaded Michel Thomas. I do have the set, but I couldnt get on with it at all as you fall asleep after half an hour
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there!

Suggestions?
For "some weeks", it should read "some months/years". Intensive is the way to go, but if you are starting from zero I'd suggest you won't learn a lot in a few weeks. Many years ago a friend and I joined a class of youngsters for 2 weeks, they had been there nearly 6 months and I thought we'd be way out of our depth, but their Spanish wasn't that impressive! Learning a language is much easier nowadays thanks to the internet, there's tons of free sites where you can study, read blogs, listen to podcast, all for free. I suggest you try some courses in UK, evening classes, study at home, try and get a basic level before you try a language school in Spain. It'll be much easier. Spain, or a Spanish speaking country is certainly the best place to go, but nowadays you can be taught by native Spanish via the internet, I even had a Skype course with a school in Guatemala, cheap as chips and works well.

Last edited by agoreira; Jul 8th 2013 at 7:22 am.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
For "some weeks", it should read "some months/years". Intensive is the way to go, but if you are starting from zero I'd suggest you won't learn a lot in a few weeks. Many years ago a friend and I joined a class of youngsters for 2 weeks, they had been there nearly 6 months and I thought we'd be way out of our depth, but their Spanish wasn't that impressive! Learning a language is much easier nowadays thanks to the internet, there's tons of free sites where you can study, read blogs, listen to podcast, all for free. I suggest you try some courses in UK, evening classes, study at home, try and get a basic level before you try a language school in Spain. It'll be much easier. Spain, or a Spanish speaking country is certainly the best place to go, but nowadays you can be taught by native Spanish via the internet, I even had a Skype course with a school in Guatemala, cheap as chips and works well.
Yes you are right

Btw why I cannot write the link? Anyway f you write (SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 8th 2013 at 8:38 am. Reason: Only because when new posters come here and publish links and then re post the names, we tend to take a bit of care :-)
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest you won't learn a lot in a few weeks. Many years ago a friend and I joined a class of youngsters for 2 weeks, they had been there nearly 6 months and I thought we'd be way out of our depth, but their Spanish wasn't that impressive! .
Depends on the person. My wife learnt German in 1 month, on an intensive course in Vienna, but it was her 5th language, she has never spoken it again in the last 12 years so has forgotton most of it

2 months of internsive courses should be plenty for a moderately intelligent person to be conversant in the language, although perfection will take years and may never come!
Old Jul 8th 2013, 8:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
Depends on the person. My wife learnt German in 1 month, on an intensive course in Vienna, but it was her 5th language, she has never spoken it again in the last 12 years so has forgotton most of it

2 months of internsive courses should be plenty for a moderately intelligent person to be conversant in the language, although perfection will take years and may never come!
Many thanks cricketman, useful advice. Probably I will spend 5 weeks in (SNIP), and later I will find a job and stay some weeks else. I hope ill be so intelligent person anyway I am from Germany but living in UK...

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 9th 2013 at 1:24 am.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks cricketman, useful advice. Probably I will spend 5 weeks in malaga beach, and later I will find a job and stay some weeks else. I hope ill be so intelligent person anyway I am from Germany but living in UK...
It will be very difficult to find a job, as most Germans will be being told in the press, unemployment is at around 40% in Andalucia

By the way, my wife used to do some work for the language schools around Pedregalejo/El Palo. Really nice part of Malaga, lovely beaches, bars etc and full of language schools and young people. Great fish restaurants on the beach and pretty much the only non-Spanish people you meet are other language students
Old Jul 8th 2013, 9:26 pm
Banned

PennyA will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lynn R

I totally agree here. Surround yourself in Spanish & allow yourself to forget your native tongue for the duration of your stay.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

To answer your question I believe the three most important things are:
How long ago did you do some serious studying?
Were you academic at all or did you have a flair for languages or indeed can speak a non native language
How old are you (the older you are the harder it gets)

I believe if you are mature then the best way is to converse with native speakers. Courses, which inevitably are based on academic achievement, can be of little use - how to buy a train ticket, how to buy a plane ticket, what are the names of items of food, etc.

How are you today, what do you think of the unemployment in Spain, what do you think of Rajoy, etc as examples could be far more relevant but unlikely to be taught in a formal course.
Old Jul 8th 2013, 10:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

concur
those who go for Interpreter Level have to have basic knowledge go on Total Immersion for at least a year.
at a lower level it will still take many many months, if not years.

can the OP actually take the time out from life for this ?? - every little deviation will add more time to completion
at what point do you say enough is enough ?

and even those from other countries in Europe with good English language skills can still trip up on colloquial and slang phrases which abound in the regions - Spain is no different

Granada Uni has a renowned language school and would give a better immersion than schools on the coast where the "language fog" is contaminated by people speaking other languages.
There are also a couple of schools who profess to Total Immersion and can tailor a course to meet the needs of the individual - if you can afford it.
But none of them seem to actually practice TI as they let you out in the evening where contamination from you native language may occur.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pedregalejo is in malaga, right? Yes I found some schools thereby, but this one is malaga beach itself, the name. So it must be there. Then your wife must speak Spanish well also, that's great! For English speakers you can find jobs in Costa del Sol, as far as I know...
You mean Malagueta? No such thing as Malaga beach. La Malagueta is a nice enough area and links up with Pedregalejo

Just because you speak English, it will not help you get a job, especially as you have no or very little Spanish
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
You mean Malagueta? No such thing as Malaga beach. La Malagueta is a nice enough area and links up with Pedregalejo

Just because you speak English, it will not help you get a job, especially as you have no or very little Spanish
Well Pedregalejo seems to be at the east coast. Malagueta is near the center. (SNIP) is the name of the school/institute itself...so I dont know.

On the other hand, it would be a total language inmersion coming to Spain to learn Spanish, i think. Besides, I dont have good opinions for that kind of accommodation (home stay). For instance, people needs money in Spain and ask for incoming students to their home just for the money... it could be bad for them...

(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Jul 9th 2013 at 1:26 am. Reason: Again, please do not promote the school you keep mentioing
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well Pedregalejo seems to be at the east coast. Malagueta is near the center. (SNIP) is the name of the school/institute itself...so I dont know.

On the other hand, it would be a total language inmersion coming to Spain to learn Spanish, i think. Besides, I dont have good opinions for that kind of accommodation (home stay). For instance, people needs money in Spain and ask for incoming students to their home just for the money... it could be bad for them...

I think definitely im ordering 4 weeks with this school from october (low season and prices are lower). Its written the "pack" includes 20 hours per week of intensive course with small groups, single large room, one excursion per week, picking up from airport, class material... and I pay for 4 weeks all included 890 pounds... not so bad!
Thats right. Imo Pedregalejo is nicer, but actually in October Malagueta will be busier, and you are very close to the centre

I did my intensive course in the centre of Malaga in Instituto Picaso, they were very good. Personally I wouldnt trust a language school called Malaga Beach

Btw, there are 10,000s of British and German people in that part of Spain who dont speak a word of Spanish, so nothing is guarenteed. I had (and still have) a simple rule, when on a Spanish street only Spanish is allowed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.