British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   best way to avoid car import tax? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/best-way-avoid-car-import-tax-617735/)

jay01 Apr 12th 2010 7:15 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
Glad someone did reopen this thread, we are in the process of buying a 4 x 4 just for the purpose if bringing it to Spain, as during our last viewing trip the estate agent informed us she had wrecked the suspension on her 4 x 4 and during our visit did a really good job of killing her husbands estate car.

Some of the roads since the rain are non to healthy and I would not have had a clue where to start sorting out the legalities, this saves me starting a new thread and wasting people's time.

Would see about getting one when we are there as it is T minus 23 days but again having done the research on car buying you have to be careful where you get it from and they do tend to be pricey.

lesson learned "really should use the info search box more" :D

bfg69bug Apr 12th 2010 9:35 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by painterhombre (Post 7714137)
Hi. I have a LHD uk registered car, bought in the UK, and we are moving to spain with the car. By the time i get there, i will only have owned the car for 3 months.

If i register it then into Spanish, i understand i will have to pay a hefty tax, in addition to the registration and itv charge? Is this correct?

Can i not just wait for 3 months living there and THEN have it replated?

any ideas? The car already has a european conformity cert and LHD headlights.

would be grateful of any advice..........

:thumbsup:

best way to avoid it... dont bring it ;)

bfg69bug Apr 12th 2010 9:37 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by jay01 (Post 8489411)
Glad someone did reopen this thread, we are in the process of buying a 4 x 4 just for the purpose if bringing it to Spain, as during our last viewing trip the estate agent informed us she had wrecked the suspension on her 4 x 4 and during our visit did a really good job of killing her husbands estate car.

Some of the roads since the rain are non to healthy and I would not have had a clue where to start sorting out the legalities, this saves me starting a new thread and wasting people's time.

Would see about getting one when we are there as it is T minus 23 days but again having done the research on car buying you have to be careful where you get it from and they do tend to be pricey.

lesson learned "really should use the info search box more" :D

where did she drive ?? :eek::eek: my cars 3 inches off the ground and i´ve had it for nearly 4 years now. ive never had any "big" trouble with it. we´ve also got a jeep cherokee, ive taken that off road and gone up slopes i´d have trouble walking up...

jay01 Apr 12th 2010 9:47 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
lol,rural southern Spain.

we drove our vectra over when we went just to see how long it would take us and some of the roads in the campo are almost non existent, some of the pot holes were lethal, just glad it was not our car that took the hits.

Were we are moving to the main road at the moment is a building site, and that is on the outskirts of a town, dirt track is more like it.

bfg69bug Apr 12th 2010 9:50 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by jay01 (Post 8489657)
lol,rural southern Spain.

we drove our vectra over when we went just to see how long it would take us and some of the roads in the campo are almost non existent, some of the pot holes were lethal, just glad it was not our car that took the hits.

Were we are moving to the main road at the moment is a building site, and that is on the outskirts of a town, dirt track is more like it.

ahh.. but it´ll be tarmacced in a few months, so all will be good :D

loosestofcannons Jan 21st 2011 1:54 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
Hi,

i hope you dont mind me asking DXF but i would am in the same predicament and would be grateful if you would private message me regarding bypassing the import tax.

Thanks

Rory

Dxf Jan 21st 2011 3:21 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
Hi folks


From a month old “Form Modelo 06” from the Hacienda

Exento
Fundamento

Los medios de transporte que se matriculen como consecuencia del traslado de residencia de su titular del extranjero al territorio espanol.

End quote

Which interprets as " I formally declare that I have abandoned my country of birth with the intention of living permanently in Spain"

This is obtainable from the British Consul and means that nowadays you do NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FIRST REGISTRATION TAX. There were conditions like you must live here for at least one year (or pay the tax if you want to sell or move back).

Dave Fisher

legal_eagle Jan 21st 2011 4:25 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by bfg69bug (Post 8471899)
who cares, its still relevant. and its a "thread" not a "post".

im in the process of transferring a jeep, but im not sure its worth it - 40+ k € book price new - could sell it for 2k tomorrow.

Do you need a quote?

it's so much better to get things done the right way here in Spain - everybody on this forum seems to be trying to cut corners!!! Whatever the topic - tax, car registration, etc the relevant agency will catch up with you and taking sound advice before that happens is well worth it.

Not talking directly to you btw :)

EsuriJohn Jan 21st 2011 4:57 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9118587)
Hi folks


From a month old “Form Modelo 06” from the Hacienda

Exento
Fundamento

Los medios de transporte que se matriculen como consecuencia del traslado de residencia de su titular del extranjero al territorio espanol.

End quote

Which interprets as " I formally declare that I have abandoned my country of birth with the intention of living permanently in Spain"

This is obtainable from the British Consul and means that nowadays you do NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FIRST REGISTRATION TAX. There were conditions like you must live here for at least one year (or pay the tax if you want to sell or move back).
Dave Fisher

Don't you have to pay a fee to the British Consul though and that costs quite a bit say €75!

Fred James Jan 21st 2011 5:24 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9118587)

Which interprets as " I formally declare that I have abandoned my country of birth with the intention of living permanently in Spain"

This is obtainable from the British Consul and means that nowadays you do NOT HAVE TO PAY THE FIRST REGISTRATION TAX. There were conditions like you must live here for at least one year (or pay the tax if you want to sell or move back).

Dave Fisher

I thought that has always been the case and you have to get this "Baja" certificate from the Embassy.

The problem that has been raised in the past is the timing of this - it used to be that it had to be done very soon after you became resident in Spain - 30 and 60 days were commonly mentioned.

Has this requirement now been relaxed?

If so it would be a great move in the right direction.

lyric030250 Jan 21st 2011 5:34 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
When I recently did my car my Gestor advised that I had been on the padron for too long, I signed up to enable my wedding here ! while just a holidaying owner. I had to pay the required tax.

I believe the limit is 30 days and the "Baja" costs 140€ from the consulate. Anecdotal however.

cricketman Jan 21st 2011 6:07 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9118587)

Los medios de transporte que se matriculen como consecuencia del traslado de residencia de su titular del extranjero al territorio espanol.

End quote

Which interprets as " I formally declare that I have abandoned my country of birth with the intention of living permanently in Spain"

No it doesnt. It translates as:

"The means of transport to be plated (matriculated) as a consequence of the registered owner of the car moving residence from overseas to Spanish teritory"

Dxf Jan 21st 2011 6:11 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
Hi

We helped a guy recently who had been on the padron since 2003. We "did a runner" when we saw the clerk had put an "X" in the exempt box. We subsequently warned that they might come after the 2,409 euros first registration tax (which he "had in his back pocket" as we had enquired as to what it might be)

We have done about ten since all but one well outside the old 60 day limit; not one has been asked for the tax, neither in Chiclana nor Utrera. All have had a Baja from the British Consulate.

Form 06 has recently changed and we don't have a copy of the old forms to compare. But the wording has been simplified.

Davexf

Dxf Jan 21st 2011 6:15 pm

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 9118937)
No it doesnt. It translates as:

"The means of transport to be plated (matriculated) as a consequence of the registered owner of the car moving residence from overseas to Spanish teritory"

So Cricketman,

Would you care to advise the consulate on what wording the Hacienda would prefer?

Davexf

Arnietwo May 2nd 2011 10:58 am

Re: best way to avoid car import tax?
 
Hi,

Iºve recently arrived in Calpe, North Costa Blanca and thought I was doing the right thing in buying a cheaper LHD car from germany and bringing it here. I went to a Gesteria who have said I will need to pay 2,400 euro import tax. I asked about the exemption but she said something about having to go back to Britain and going to a consulate there to declare to have permenantly left UK. Can anyone tell me what forms I need to ask for at the British Consulate in say Alicante ?

Yours Dave


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.