Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

best way to avoid car import tax?

best way to avoid car import tax?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default best way to avoid car import tax?

Hi. I have a LHD uk registered car, bought in the UK, and we are moving to spain with the car. By the time i get there, i will only have owned the car for 3 months.

If i register it then into Spanish, i understand i will have to pay a hefty tax, in addition to the registration and itv charge? Is this correct?

Can i not just wait for 3 months living there and THEN have it replated?

any ideas? The car already has a european conformity cert and LHD headlights.

would be grateful of any advice..........

Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to avoid car import tax?

You have 90 days as a tourist in Spain before you are obliged to register.

You can start the reregistration process at that time and by then you will have owned the car for the requisite 6 months.

It is the registration tax which is the expensive one as it is based on the car's value. This is the tax that you can avoid by prompt action.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:17 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

There are other ways around it. But they are not considered legal therefore pm me for a diferent outlook on life (I do not wish to upset the moderators)

Davexf
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
You have 90 days as a tourist in Spain before you are obliged to register.

You can start the reregistration process at that time and by then you will have owned the car for the requisite 6 months.

It is the registration tax which is the expensive one as it is based on the car's value. This is the tax that you can avoid by prompt action.
cool!

It is myself and my wife going over, so does that mean SHE registers (so our daughter can go to school) but i am just "possibly in the country temporarily" until the car gets matriculated, and THEN i put myself down as a permanent resident yes?
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
cool!

It is myself and my wife going over, so does that mean SHE registers (so our daughter can go to school) but i am just "possibly in the country temporarily" until the car gets matriculated, and THEN i put myself down as a permanent resident yes?
No, you wait the 3 months and then register - THEN you start the registration process.

As DFX says, there may be other ways - ask him.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

No, you wait the 3 months and then register - THEN you start the registration process.

As DFX says, there may be other ways - ask him.

thanks for the answer but what i meant was my wife will HAVE to register as far as i know or we cant get my girl into a spanish school, but i WAIT for a few months yes?

sort of..........my wife will be registered as living in spain but myself will only be a tourist etc? (until a few months down the line)???????????
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:57 am

Yes, that was my understanding of your post.

She registers immediately, you wait 90 days. Both options are perfectly legal.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, that was my understanding of your post.

She registers immediately, you wait 90 days. Both options are perfectly legal.

thanks fred, your advice is very much appreciated.

Muchos gracias amigo.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 12:03 am
Just Joined

brand new is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: best way to avoid car import tax?

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

There are other ways around it. But they are not considered legal therefore pm me for a diferent outlook on life (I do not wish to upset the moderators)

Davexf
Hi Davexf, can you pm me? I am very curious! Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:11 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have pm'd you; to other forum members I will add that the empadron is now dated as to when the first empadron was issued. The consulate now demands that they see the empadron. This means that it is more difficult to avoid the tax unless you do it immediately you buy the house as most estate agents "helpfully" put you on the empadron at the same time as getting the NIE number.

This has caused problems for people who have had their house as a holiday home until they retire here

Davexf
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

blimey who resurrected this post?????????

........sold the car (still uk plated) and bought (a crap) spanish plated car instead.

case closed!
Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
blimey who resurrected this post?????????

........sold the car (still uk plated) and bought (a crap) spanish plated car instead.

case closed!
who cares, its still relevant. and its a "thread" not a "post".

im in the process of transferring a jeep, but im not sure its worth it - 40+ k € book price new - could sell it for 2k tomorrow.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
who cares, its still relevant. and its a "thread" not a "post".

im in the process of transferring a jeep, but im not sure its worth it - 40+ k € book price new - could sell it for 2k tomorrow.
How olds your Jeep ? be aware they are not worth much after 5/6 years and it may well be better not to bother ,sell it in the UK, the prices for Jeep spares are frightening and I see major failures regulary in the motor trade.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
How olds your Jeep ? be aware they are not worth much after 5/6 years and it may well be better not to bother ,sell it in the UK, the prices for Jeep spares are frightening and I see major failures regulary in the motor trade.
oh its here in spain already, not being used. just figured i´d put it on spanish plates and use it for weekends / 4x4 fun in the campo with the mijas club.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 6:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Watch out on Jeeps - the tyres MUST be european (Not american) and the lights must conform - we have had problems in the past

Davexf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.