Reload this Page >

Best south coast climates?

Best south coast climates?

Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:19 am
Banned

EgssIsEggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best south coast climates?

Hi
Am thinking about a move to Spain, being particularly attracted by the climate.
I am exploring the possibilities of living on the south coast or very near to it .

I'm interested in shortlisting some places- medium to large-sized towns or small cities- which have the mildest winter climates.

I prefer the above size cities for the likely cultural activities on offer, work opportunities, travel and health infrastructures and so on.

I assume all of the south coast doesn't have a uniform climate throughout the year...

I can more easily bear hot summer weather if there are sea breezes providing relief: the historical temperatures I've seen for a couple of south coast cities are around or slightly below the summer temps I get in my present location- which suffers from high temperatures and humidity and typically no breezes at all, let alone windy days.

I would greatly welcome recommendations of places to consider.

Thank you .
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best south coast climates?

Originally Posted by EgssIsEggs
Hi
I am exploring the possibilities of living on the south coast or very near to it .

I'm interested in shortlisting some places- medium to large-sized towns or small cities- which have the mildest winter climates.

I prefer the above size cities for the likely cultural activities on offer, work opportunities, travel and health infrastructures and so on.

I assume all of the south coast doesn't have a uniform climate throughout the year...

I can more easily bear hot summer weather if there are sea breezes providing relief: the historical temperatures I've seen for a couple of south coast cities are around or slightly below the summer temps I get in my present location- which suffers from high temperatures and humidity and typically no breezes at all, let alone windy days.

Thank you .

When you say South Coast, do you only mean the area from Almeria to Portugal? Climate can vary everywhere and I would not rule out the East of Spain. Heat can be a huge problem in some parts, while you might find the wind too extreme in other parts. Work opportunities will be another problem.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Temperatures along most of the south coast are not significantly different until you get to Almeria where they can be a little hotter. Rainfall is higher in the west and quite a lot less in the east.

That said, it is only marginally warmer than the south east coast.

Inland it tends to be more extreme that the coast in both heat and cold.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you .
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst myself and BEVS moderate Europe. Please read the Site Rules Site Rules | British Expatriate Community adhere to them so that the site runs smoothly. Moderators are there to ensure that the rules of BE are maintained. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 21st 2018, 11:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
When you say South Coast, do you only mean the area from Almeria to Portugal? Climate can vary everywhere and I would not rule out the East of Spain. Heat can be a huge problem in some parts, while you might find the wind too extreme in other parts. Work opportunities will be another problem.
Thanks.
I was thinking slightly further east of Almeria too. Maybe as far as Cartagena or so... I shortlisted the south as I assume the lower latitude will provide higher winter temps than higher latitudes. And yes, I'd prefer to avoid places which are quite to very windy year round. I suppose wind chill can play a part and exaggerate winter temps.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Temperatures along most of the south coast are not significantly different until you get to Almeria where they can be a little hotter. Rainfall is higher in the west and quite a lot less in the east.

That said, it is only marginally warmer than the south east coast.

Inland it tends to be more extreme that the coast in both heat and cold.
Thanks.
Yes, I'd rather avoid inland areas for these reasons.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I was thinking slightly further east of Almeria too. Maybe as far as Cartagena or so... I shortlisted the south as I assume the lower latitude will provide higher winter temps than higher latitudes. And yes, I'd prefer to avoid places which are quite to very windy year round. I suppose wind chill can play a part and exaggerate winter temps.

Thanks.
Yes, I'd rather avoid inland areas for these reasons.
I wouldn't focus too much on general views/stats and you might find that even further than Cartagena the climate can be pretty decent. There are a lot more factors to consider and even the person living in an on paper colder area, might get more sun in their backyard, or be protected from wind. I don't live in Spain permanently and only have a holiday home there. Believe it or not, I was in my garden in Ireland on Saturday, sitting in shorts while it was officially 4C. I just found a nice spot that get's no wind and enjoyed, while others were complaining.

If you can look further than general stats, there are many nice parts of Spain that might offer something. Even a friend of mine was enjoying beach days in Tarragona recently. You can also check out webcams like here in Barcelona:
Even today, people are enjoying the beach on a a partly sunny day real feel 13c:-).
https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/we...-sebastia.html

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 21st 2018 at 12:33 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 12:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thank you .
I would not base your choice on climate, other factors are more(?) important.
Shorts and shades on New Years day in Costa Blanca.

What is your
present location
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Do you speak Spanish? What skills/experience do you have that would help you find work?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:36 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by missile
I would not base your choice on climate, other factors are more(?) important.
Shorts and shades on New Years day in Costa Blanca.

What is your
northern-central Italy. Humid and hot/humid and cold.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Do you speak Spanish? What skills/experience do you have that would help you find work?
15 yrs English teaching as foreign language (EFL).
Ideally would do some of this either privately or through a language school